1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Would appreciate some help! Trying to plan beer weekend in Austin for my boyfriend.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by AmyElizabeth88, May 16, 2012.

1. AmyElizabeth88

AmyElizabeth88 Aspirant (40) May 14, 2012

My boyfriend is a huge craft beer enthusiast. This weekend is his birthday and we are also celebrating his completion of grad school. We are going to Austin and I was hoping some of you guys could suggest good beer bars to go to while we are there. Beer selection, service, entertainment ect. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I just want him to have a great time with great beer.
  2. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

For just beer, Draught House. Gingerman would be next, but not in the same league.

If you want food, Hopfields, Barley Swine, Whip In, Black Star (it's on the metro rail so easy to get to if staying near a station).
  3. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

4. AmyElizabeth88

Haha yeah I just saw that thread after I posted mine. I was reading it and it seems to have pretty much all of the information I would need. What do you think about The Brew Exchange? Someone was telling me about it, and it sounded kind of neat. I don't want to take him there if it's a waste of time, but we are going to be there Thursday through Monday or Tuesday, so we have time to hit plenty of places.
  5. AmyElizabeth88

He just graduated with his master's in finance, so I thought it might be kind of clever. Maybe a bit cheesy as well though haha.
  6. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

I haven't been myself, but a few beer-centric buddies have been and said that it's mediocre at best. Also, it's situated at the heart of west Sixth street (read: douchebaggery). So if that's your scene, go check it out and then bounce around in the area. There are plenty of bars on the same block. Bottom line: if your BF is into beer only, take him somewhere else.
  7. AmyElizabeth88

Meh, "douchebaggery" doesn't sound like our scene. Been out on 6th street, I know what you're getting at. His main priority is enjoying some good brews. He loves KBS and split Chocolate Rain with a friend the other night. He loves Stone Brewery and we went to Tampa for the Hunahpu release. We had a really good time at Cigar City. Looking for places more along those lines.
  8. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

If he's into all those beers get his ass on beeradvocate ;)
    BK1017 likes this.
  9. AmyElizabeth88

Haha he is on here. JayAre46 I think is his name? I was just trying to put this all together for him like a good girlfriend should. :) I'm more of a wine person, but I enjoy trying beers with him and do my best to keep up with what he likes. That thread was really helpful too! Thanks for the help!
  10. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Maybe take him out for a kick ass dinner and bring your own beer. Call ahead to the restaurant and ask what their corking fee is. Works for wine, should work for beer as well.

Or, just buy a bunch of amazing beer and get some room service.

BK
  11. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I would suggest Whip In and Draught House. If you have a car you can make a Jester King tour on Saturday. I think its $10 for a tour, a glass, and 3 sample pours.

Freetail(best brewpub in Tx) in San Antonio is also a worthy stop. Just over an hour south of Austin.
  12. AmyElizabeth88

That's a great idea! We're going with a couple of others and staying with friends that live in Austin though. I might have to save that for another occassion when it is just the two of us. He would love that.
  13. AmyElizabeth88

Everyone is saying Whip In and Draught House, so we'll definitely have to hit those places. I know he likes Jester King, but I don't know that everyone we will be with will want to do a tour though. We've been to Freetail. We went for the La Muerta release. We had a lot of fun!
  14. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I normally skip the tour and drink my 3 pours, but the brewery is a little out of the way.
  15. AmyElizabeth88

Okay, well I know he would enjoy that. I'll just have to see how everyone feels about it and I know he would like a glass.
  16. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (445) Texas Dec 25, 2010

First of all, you are a great girlfriend! Second, tour Thirsty Planet at 11 and then 10 minutes down the road is Jester King. Tour that one from 1-4. Rest up and hit Whip-In, Gingerman, and Black Star.
    AmyElizabeth88 likes this.
  17. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Ditto - you are an awesome girlfiriend for doing this! (I am teaching my boyfriend about beer...heh I'd be floored if he jumped on the BA forums for assistance!) I second NXNW - they have a great food menu, so might be a place to stop before going "out" for the evening. Have fun!
    AmyElizabeth88 likes this.
  18. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

19. Yes, but is it as mediocre as this version of the beer exchange: http://www.beermarket.com.sg/category/beer/