1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Would it be better if there was an after market for beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by koflaherty, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

A poll on the site he just said would be biased?

2. It would at least be an indication that we are or aren't surrounded by people who think/act similarly, correct?

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

True, I mean go for it. I think you'll find the majority of people here hold on to special beers whether it be in their main fridge or cellar, there are always exceptions, I doubt anyone drinks every beer they buy right away.

4. i pound craft beers like miller lites, that being said, i have a 2nd fridge and a cellar full of goods

5. I read aftermarket as like that for computers and cars. Man I wish I could add a 3dfx board to this barleywine, turbo charger to this bock.

It would be sweet if there were tiny squeeze packs to add some body or hop flavor after pouring the bottle into the glass.

JrGtr and anticipation23 like this.
  6. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I think there's a difference between hoarding and cellaring. I probably have about 20 bottles in my "cellar" (actually the floor of a basement closet). But I specifically purchased these to age a bit so I have some very tasty barleywines, RISs, & old ales to drink when the weather starts to get colder & I drink more of these styles. Or, to break out on a special occasion (e.g., holiday dinners, etc.).

In my fridge, I usually keep anywhere between 6-15 beers or so for regular consumption. I think hoarding is when people purchase beers and have no realistic way of drinking/sharing all of them in the foreseeable future. Still, it's their money & it's only beer.

LeRose likes this.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Our "definitions" are actually pretty close then. Some stuff I buy ages intentionally (or doesn't matter too much if it does), some age totally by accident. I regret it when I lose track of a beer that would have been best enjoyed right away. I usually only have 1 or 2 in the fridge at a time though - slow consumer, I am! Company comes, the number goes up and will add from the stash depending on the crowd. I guess I would rather match purchase rate and consumption rate a little better in general since we don't entertain much and only a few friends are craft drinkers. Example - for some reason, I have several SA New World Tripels - I know this particular brew doesn't age gracefully, but people kept bringing them over (with fine intent) and we just never drank 'em all. Throw in my occasional batch of home brew and I get to the what am I gonna do with all this beer point pretty quick sometimes. Have to fight that kid in the candy store approach to beer shopping!

Yep - it's only beer, it's only money, and people can do what they want with either. Still don't understand just stockpiling with no expectations of consumption, sharing, trading, etc. Reminds me of someone I know who owns a classic Mustang - sitting in the barn slowly turning into a rust bucket, but he won't sell it nor restore it. It's "his" is the only point to him having it - don't get it. Or the guy who posted about buying a case of Black Note (I think it was) and then just staring at it in his cellar...t the point of the thread, it was almost like he was advertising it for sale.

8. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

that's what I thought when I saw aftermarket. and on tap is making flavor boosters there is a thread about them.

I like the idea of cellaring but anything I try to save just gets consumed. longest kept bottle was a close out of hoppy clause after Christmas. stored two in my closet one lasted 2 months the other 5 months before I downed it.

9. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Savant (400) Michigan Sep 13, 2010

Being from Illinois, you have a better shot of having a GI BC Rare. I am more than happy to trade you $4$. Let me know!!

10. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Craigslist, mybeercellar.com