1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Would you buy a SN 30th Grand Cru?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JEdmund, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JEdmund

JEdmund Member

I saw one of these sitting out (unrefrigerated) the other day and wondered if it would be worth taking a chance on. What do you all think? My biggest concern is light exposure. Not necessarily sunlight, but it's high up, close to the fluorescents. Think it's tough enough to still be tasty two+ years later?

Thanks-
  2. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Member

Have you bought older stuff from that shop before? Also whats the price? If it was reasonable I'd jump on it. What's the worst, it sucks and your out a couple balloons. Just do it.
  3. Davl22

Davl22 Member

Yes and it's probably close to prime drinking. I had one in September and it was incredible but could have used another year mellowing.
  4. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

For me that would depend entirely on my mood - feeling broke, or feeling adventurous? It's a gamble since the storage conditions are unknown - could have been in a cold dark back room the whole time, could have been under a heat lamp. But if the price was decent, and I haven't just blown a wad of cash on other bottles, sure, give it a try.
  5. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Member

Just buy it. That beer was awesome. I wish I still had a bottle
  6. JEdmund

JEdmund Member

OK, I feel encouraged to go for it! Thanks everyone!
  7. vthippie

vthippie Member

Bought one back around Thanksgiving and I was great. The BB is very subtle but there, Bigfoot and Celebration dominate and the SNPA is basically indistinguishable, but I expected that. Hoppier that I thought it would be after 2 years.

Couple cases showed up randomly at the liquor store so I figured even if it suffered temperature fluctuations it avoided light pollution for most of it's life. Decent price too, think it was $10.99.
  8. Yes I would. That beer is phenomenal and well worth the $10-12. If you find the stout, jump on it HARD!! I've had the 30th GC, Stout, and Barleywine this past summer purchased on a room temperature shelf under lighting, they had held up really well.
  9. Pahn

Pahn Member

buy it. this beer has improved with time.

edit: p.s. agree with above that jack and kens barleywine is drinking awesome.
  10. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

Buy it ALL got a bottle of each resting peacefully and just came home to a box loaded with this !!!
    [​IMG]
  11. JEdmund

JEdmund Member

If it's still there this afternoon, I'm going for it. Thanks again, everyone!
  12. Andygirl

Andygirl Member

Thanks for posting the thread. The local wine store has about 10 assorted 30ths sitting and I have also debated grabing some. :)
    JEdmund likes this.
  13. RDMII

RDMII Member

They're all good and still tasting fine, a little age hasn't hurt them.