Would you use 2month old cracked Crystal malt?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dondeez21, Dec 17, 2012.

1. dondeez21

dondeez21 Savant (255) New Jersey Dec 27, 2006

I have a pound of some crystal that was cracked about 2 months ago. I plan on brewing an extract IPA this week. Would you use the old malt, buy new malt or skip the malt all together? I will be using Extra light DME and I want the beer to be on the dryer side anyway.

2. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Champion (795) California Sep 4, 2010 Verified

Yes I would use it. I feel two months should be fine, especially since it's a specialty malt.

3. My experience is that it lasts almost indefinitely.

4. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (420) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

If you stored it with any care at all, it should be good.

JrGtr likes this.
  5. I think if you stored it reasonably well, the malt should be fine.

6. dondeez21

I didnt use much care. lol Its in a plastic bag tied in a knot sitting in a cool closet.

7. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (420) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

Plastic bag, cool closet all good. As long as you don't have it where it could get moldy, really is the worst I would expect would be possible to happen in just 2 months.

You will know by the smell if it is good to go, or trash.

8. dondeez21

good call. thanks for the input guys!

9. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

10. kjyost

kjyost Champion (800) Manitoba (Canada) May 4, 2008 Verified Subscriber

I think the malt is good but if you want a dry IPA, skip it. DME normally is ~5% crystals.
    I would also add some table sugar in place of male if you want it dry.

11. brewsader

brewsader Savant (290) New York Dec 7, 2012 Verified

how long would cracked crystal malt last for, assuming it's stored properly?

12. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Advocate (520) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

I know people who have no problems brewing with malt with fucking weavils crawling around in it. Their thought process is, "what else can I do with it?"... I get their point. What else CAN you do with it? Just don't use it for something you plan on submitting for competition, you know? Don't hang your hopes on beer made with inferior ingredients. Expect your best work from the best, freshest ingredients. But waste not want not.

rocdoc1 likes this.
  13. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (485) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

Just bought a # of some bargain C-150 that I'm sure is old...based on it's unpopularity...going to stick it in a large maltbill with some C-15, Pale malt and rye and see what I get. (something close to Ruthless, hopefully)

14. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (360) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

I've used cracked malt that was about 6 months old and it turned out fine.

15. Just found a part bag of it in my attic; must be at least 15 years old.By sniffing and tasting it I can't find anything wrong with it at all. Seems about the same as it always did.It's been kept dry and reasonably cool and probably out of the light.

16. I have used crushed crystal malt that has been 1-2 years old (stored in a cool, dark and dry place). The beers with those crystal malts turned out just fine.

I have never brewed with 15 year old crystal malt. That would be an interesting experiment!

Cheers!

brewsader likes this.
  17. I've used roasted barley that was easily two years old and won an award for the Stout... It's a dried ingredient, so you really have to do something wrong to mess it up, even if it's pre-ground.

18. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Answer is yes. But if you had any doubts at all, a pound of crystal will run you what, 2 bucks?

19. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (740) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005 Verified

After only 2 months? Without hesitation, provided I had no other concerns regarding how it was stored and no sensory input that called the malt into question. Since you want the beer to be dry, you probably shouldn't be using much crystal malt though. I'd try around 3% of total extract.