1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Would your consumption be impacted if beer had a Nutritional Label?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AutumnBeerLove, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Would a Nutritional Information Label on beer change how/what you drink?

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No

241 vote(s)
    71.1%
  1. Had a little health exam the other day, and no worries. I'm fine. That being said, my Glucose level is very high. I assume it's from my minimum of a beer a day.

If beer had nutritional information on the bottle, like any other product, would you be more picky on what you drink? Would you choose one beer over a different one if there was a major difference in calories, sugar, etc.

Would you avoid a certain style almost entirely?
    Would the amount change?
  2. I wouldn't, I eat a healthy diet and work out everyday so that I can drink whatever beers I prefer.
  3. I can't imagine the amount of carbs in an Expedition Stout.
  4. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I already know the calories in most beers thanks to MyFitnessPal and the ABV/style trick thingy...

I eat like shit, but I maintain an average weight. I'd still like the info regardless, though.

I tend to not bother with things like RIS's because:
    1.) They tend to be over 300 calories per beer.
    2.) I don't particularly care for them anyway.

I'd be a monster if RIS's were my favorite style.
    JimKal likes this.
  5. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

I voted yes, only because my wife would effect what beers i drank, so i guess it's more of an indirect yes.
    joshbhs04, gjoker321, 1up and 2 others like this.
  6. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I'm vegan, so I actually count on a beer or two at the end of the day to help keep my caloric intake up. So, no.
    gjoker321, bifrost17 and Willbfun like this.
  7. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (680) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I hardly look at nutritional info for foods, so I highly doubt nutritional info on beers would really affect me.
    Kerrie, cavedave and jzeilinger like this.
  8. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

9. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Malted barley, hops, yeast, water? That sounds like health food to me. It might make people increase their consumption
  10. Haven't met many BA's I assume, I doubt the majority of us care.
    baconsausage, libbey and Rempo like this.
  11. Dumb assumption.
    Hermthegerm and SpunkyHopslammer like this.
  12. it is spelled ass u me
    libbey and Rempo like this.
  13. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

It's like a car accident. I couldn't help but to look (at the nutrition labels, if they were on beer).

I'm sure I underestimate the calories in each beer I consume. If I knew exactly how many there were, ignorant bliss would fade and the cold hard reality of numbers would set in.

I'd probably drink less...or at least not as often as I do.
    drrone, Jaredp, victory4me and 2 others like this.
  14. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I carefully monitor my calorie and macro intake so yes. Granted, I can estimate pretty well as-is, but it would be nice to accurately know exactly what I'm drinking.

Dope
    huysmans and CyPotter like this.
  15. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

no. beer is my one "cheat" as i still eat pretty clean
    i was a competitive bodybuilder for 10yrs and only had an occasional beer during off season.
    now......its game on!!!!!!
    gjoker321 and AutumnBeerLove like this.
  16. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I exercise daily and eat carefully, so I can drink pretty much what I want..
    brureview likes this.
  17. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

No I work out and take care of myself. I lift 3-4 times a week and do circuit short cardio, mountain biking, hiking etc.

Join a gym
    stella77artois and huysmans like this.
  18. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Vegan with a Hopslam avatar?
    gjoker321, alysmith4 and MSandahl23 like this.
  19. I'd like to just know the carbs and I'm good. It might change my decision on what I'm buying but not by much. If I'm gonna be drinking some already unhealthy it wouldn't matter.
    dianimal likes this.
  20. This is my answer as well. I estimate the calories in my beers and I am sure I am very close. But to see it, every time you pick up the bottle could result in a change of behavior.
    TravisSaps likes this.
  21. What's the ABV/style trick thing?
  22. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

I think it is useful information. I can get a calorie count out of beersmith for beers that I brew... and.... um some of them were SHOCKINGLY high, like 300-400 calories.
  23. Jschmelz

Jschmelz Zealot (95) Indiana Feb 4, 2012

I would buy more 'green label' beers
  24. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Qualified no. I would read it because it is there and because I work in the food industry it has become a habit. Might back off the real big hitters in calories or limit their consumption.
  25. Beer is near the bottom of my list of worries. You should see how much pork I eat.
  26. Alextricity

Basically, a Budweiser has like. 150 calories and it's 5%. For every percent, you add 30 calories.

(12oz serving)
    4% = 120
    5% = 150
    6% = 180
    7% = 210
    8% = 240
    9% = 270
    10% = 300

Generally a pretty good guide. Add a few more calories if the beer is a RIS/porter.
    brureview and MikeTen like this.
  27. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Most food comes with nutritional info and yet 75% of Americans are overweight. So, statistically speaking, it doesn't matter. Drinkers gonna drink.
  28. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Here's my answer to this question, and I'm going to put it as simply as possible: NOPE.
  29. Alextricity

You'd be amazed just how many people don't know
    a.) how many calories they're supposed to get in a day to be a healthy weight.
    b.) how to read nutrition information/guess the amount of calories in foods.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  30. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

No, I don't think I would be amazed. I don't have high expectations of people.
  31. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

I would have a tough time picking a beer with very high sugar as compared to a beer with low (and the same goes for other things, calories, etc.) I keep a very strict diet, so I would rather remain blissfully ignorant to what all the "nutritional facts" of my beer are.
  32. Hell no. I eat spaghettios and drink 15 stouts a day. Keeps da doc away. SPAGHETT!
    Imacopyouidiot and MikeTen like this.
  33. I've developed the ability to convert all beer I consume directly into muscle mass.
  34. stealth

stealth Advocate (535) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

35. i drink whatever i want

i'm cultivating mass bro
    dan027 likes this.
  36. I voted 'no' (ironic, given I'm a nutritionist :rolleyes:), but I think like many others, that ignorance is bliss. I know that anytime I buy hard cider and see that one bottle is like 200+ calories, I'm like :eek:
    gjoker321 likes this.
  37. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I homebrew and use BeerTools Pro recipe software. It automatically calculates calories per 12 oz. serving for every recipe. I avoid looking at that section like the plague.
  38. Hopslam is your one exception to veganism? ;)
    Andygirl and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  39. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

If beer contained saturated and/or trans fats, maybe. But they don't, so I could care less. Calories are not an issue for me.
  40. Nope, I already have a good idea of what is in most of them and already factor that in the same amount as I would if it showed up on bottles. I'd rather the brewer print a story or something fun.