1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wow, I guess I really like Dark Belgian Ales!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Mar 22, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I have written 223 reviews on BA. Here are my 5 highest rated beers:

Ommegang Adoration Ale
    Brewery Ommegang
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Corsendonk Christmas Ale
    Brouwerij Corsendonk
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Anchor Porter
    Anchor Brewing Company
    American Porter

Père Jacques
    Goose Island Beer Co.
    Dubbel

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
    Bières de Chimay S.A.
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale

I wasn't really aware that Belgian Strong Dark Ale was my highest rated style. If you add the Dubbel 4 out of my top 5 are Belgian ales.
    what kind of beer drinker does that make me?
    funny thing is my everyday beer style is English Bitter.
    JohnnyMc, jnoble and Premo88 like this.
  2. my highest rated style too
    love the complexity and robustness
    what do you think of the Anchor Christmas generally over the years?
  3. fx20736

haven't had it yet but will buy it this year.
  4. It's good to have a different favorite style suitable for any situation, no matter how you rate them. I see nothing contradictory here, if that's where you are going. You seem to prefer beers with an interesting yeast signature, and so lean towards Belgian and English styles (and, fwiw, I find that the Anchor Porter also has a very distinctive yeast sig, very English in nature, though categorized as 'American' on BA).
    fx20736 likes this.
  5. Find some De Dolle's and that top 5 will be all BSDA ;)
    YogiBeer and victory4me like this.
  6. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

My fav in the style is Rochefort #8. Your number #1 pick is really tasty and is probably underrated, but i'm too lazy to look. When I tried it, I had previously consumed more than 50 beers in the style and Adoration made me very happy!
  7. Me too, just my luck that they are the toughest to find and among the most expensive...but they are soooooo good.
  8. As to suggestions- if you haven't had any Unibroue beers, give them a shot- especially Trois Pistoles. It should be right up your alley.
  9. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

It makes you a lover of malt.

The English bitter = wonderful malty goodness in an easy-drinking form.

All those Belgian darks = crazy dark malt goodness in a more complex form.

Nothing wrong with the malted barley ...
  10. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

It makes you like me.....until I diverged into the insane world of complex barrel aged beers. If you think quads are expensive and incapacitating.... ;)
  11. get on dat dere stille nacht time STAT
  12. Unibroue makes the Trader Joe's Christmas ale. It's extremely tasty and crazy cheap, I think $4 or 5 a bottle.
  13. That Corsendonk Christmas ale is really, really good. I overlooked it last year, and when it came out this winter, a retailer talked me into it. Needless to say, I went back for a lot more.
    leezy likes this.
  14. BierMeJohn

BierMeJohn Savant (290) Maryland Feb 9, 2013

I completely agree! I have the luxury of living close to Belgium currently (although I'm stateside at the moment)... but Allagash and Unibroue both have several tasty Belgian style brews. In fact, I'm drinking a Trois Pistoles right now!
    dieBlume likes this.
  15. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

I don't blame you. Belgian beers are fantastic.
  16. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Definitely near the top of my list.
  17. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

Trois Pistoles is excellent, but so is La Terrible.
    jplopez21 and dieBlume like this.
  18. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

QFT. La Terrible is absolutely up there as one of my top 5 favorite beers.
  19. fx20736

unfortunately Allagash and Unibroue are not available here, although there is a Belgian Beer Bar, Victoire that serves Unibroue beers on tap.
  20. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Unibroue has some amazing beers. Trois Pistoles and La Terrible are great, but so are Maudite and Don de Dieu (not sure of the spelling), and you can't go wrong with La Fin Du Monde.
    JuliusCaesar and dieBlume like this.
  21. 2Cents

2Cents Aficionado (180) Nebraska Jul 3, 2010

I am drinking a La Binchoise Reserve Speciale. The store I bought this at accidentally aged it 5 years for me. They have done this, successfully, with a few other high alcohol beers that I purchased there in the past. They must be stored in a dark place at the right temperature; they're usually obscure beers that probably aren't selling well.
    Anyway, this is a real treat. It has a nice sour cherry and a, not cloying, candied malt taste. It tastes more like a Strong dark ale then a strong pale ale, it's miles away from Duvel. And, it's loaded with hazy yeast swimmers, all the reviews that I have read say this is relatively clear: this could be due to its long life. The alcohol is really well hidden, this things going down pretty fast. They only had two bottles of this, to bad.
  22. just an fyi, Unibroue is in Quebec, not Belgium.
  23. BierMeJohn

BierMeJohn Savant (290) Maryland Feb 9, 2013

Yes. I thought we were talking about Belgian style beers... that are readily available in North America. And while there are now lots of Belgian imports available in local stores, I imagine it will be even easier to find one from Canada... and it SHOULD be cheaper.
  24. Belgians are definitely my favorite. Esp. Quads. It's all about that yeast that adds amazing flavor. So malty sweet and complex. I think quads are the beer of royalty.

But they get expensive. My everyday cheaper beers include Robert the Bruce, Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale, Optimator, Ommegang's Dubbel is a little more expensive than those..still looking for some good cheap belgians...
  25. bnuno

bnuno Aficionado (155) California Feb 8, 2011

North coast brother thelonious is great Belgian dark strong and a good price too
  26. What's a "good price" to you? I've seen it for over $3 at least. can't remeber exact. maybe it was over $4. An everyday cheap beer to me wouldn't be anymore than $2. and I tried it once and is was just ok... but I need to try it again...
  27. bnuno

I see for about $7 for 750ml or $12 for a four pack. I don't see many other Belgian strong darks at that price but maybe I'm way off
  28. bnuno

You cited Belgian dubbels which are lower in abv then Belgian strong dark so maybe that is why the price increase for brother theo