1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wrong to drink Sours after IPAs (or vice versa)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Immortale25, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I've been beginning to wonder what the effects of hops in IPAs and lactic acid in Sours have on our palates. If I'm drinking a highly bitter IPA, should I not drink a sour afterward because my palate has just been assaulted with alpha acids and it might not taste the way it's supposed to? Or is it the other way around? If I have just drank a really strong Gueuze or other wild ale, will the IPA or other types of beer have a weaker flavor? Trying to experiment with this is pricey because sours are so expensive, so I wanted to see what other people's thoughts are.

2. Drink what you want, when you want, responsibly/in moderation.

Personally I dont drink anything expensive or review a beer after a hoppy IPA or DIPA. Or any palate taxing beer (RIS, Barleywine) for that matter.

Profchaos20 likes this.
  3. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

If I know sours are on the table, they are my opener. Just as if I know I'll be mixing in a DIPA or RIS, I'll save that til later in the session. I often like to close the evening with a APA or a nice Pilsner or Kolsch. Seems like a natural progression to me that allows all flavors to stand alone.

4. side note: I predict that some brewer will release a sour IPA within the next 12 months.

5. I've found that sometimes a nice sour can be a sort of palate cleanser after or between really hoppy beers. Although, you might not enjoy the sour as much as you would otherwise.

BenAdvocate likes this.
  6. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

7. How about Anchorage Galaxy White IPA? Not sour, necessarily, but Anchorage makes everything with brett.

JxExM, Blanco and JonnyBeers like this.
  8. brett != sour. We're going to see a puckering IPA.

9. Exactly. Most big beer tastings my tasting group has we always have a few sours to mix it up and like you said somewhat cleanse the palate.

BenAdvocate likes this.
  10. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

New Belgium La terroir...
    If anything, you shouldn't have an ipa after an ipa, or a sour after a sour.
    I often go back and forth though.

11. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

It is fine either way. They're completely different. It is perfect to have a sour between hoppy beers, or vice versa.

12. Just remember to stay true to your heart.

BeerBuddy2122, JxExM and mkennedy119 like this.
  13. Drinking a Galaxy from Anchorage right now. more of a Saison than IPA imo. but tasty!

JRBecks likes this.
  14. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Iris?

15. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

16. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

gatornation likes this.
  17. There are dry hopped sours but high levels of bitterness and sourness are not complementary.

18. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

No, insert snarky comment now, and drink what you want when you want.

19. Not sure what != means, but brett does not necessarily equal sour. It only gets sour when introduced to a lot of oxygen, otherwise emits other funky, or dry, or mushroomy, or pineappley flavors.
    Also, how about Victory Wild Devil? Don't know if they'll ever make it again, sadly.

20. Oh jesus christ, shut up and drink and your beer

Lare453 likes this.
  21. Personally, I'm not sure I would mix the two... However, it's beer, it's supposed to be a fun hobby... Don't over analyze...

22. This. Hops inhibit lactobacillus proliferation, which is usually your best bet at a puckering sour.

Tired Hands put out a "sour IPA" a few months ago called "Good Good Things." It was neither sour nor a good good thing. Dry-hopped Sours a la Iris and Le Terroir, and Brett IPAs will be the way of the world till someone finds a way to skirt that little chemical issue. Or so I predict.

23. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I'm hearing about hop tolerant lacto strains. Strange things are afoot.

24. This would be good good news!

25. Rotate between different styles when you've got a lot of bottles to taste. Keeps the palate from becoming fatigued too quickly. Having two hoppy beers in succession just isn't fair to whichever one comes second... the hops will inevitably seem muted in comparison to the first.

This is a major flaw in the way homebrew competitions are judged, IMO...

26. != means 'does not equal'. I'm on your side with this one.

27. if its wrong them i dont wanna be right.

28. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

It's only wrong if you feel shame afterwards.

29. I think a good sour and a good IPA side by side makes for a great beer pairing. I usually only do it if I'm drinking with at least one other person and sharing. Double fisting makes bartenders think you've had too much.

30. New Belgium Le Terroir, dry hopped with Amarillo, if they put sour IPA on the bottle I don't think anybody would have argued that.
    It was my favorite sour beer ever, I hope we see more Sour IPA's

31. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

At a tasting event a bit ago, Vinnie from RR told me his favorite time to drink a Blind Pig IPA was after a bunch of sours. So maybe -- maybe -- this is acceptable behavior. Maybe.

32. agreed, Surly has Brettwagon and Brett Liquor two Brett fermented IPAs. Not sour, delicious and faintly tart, but not sour

33. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

That's so 1998 (sorta):
    http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_108

34. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

that's why I said "sorta" ;) Although I would be curious to know how Iris would taste with clean fermentation, keeping the dry-hopping....

35. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid and a 750 of Cuvee Rene Geuze. Should be a fairly inexpensive experiment.

36. Lots of wild strains are hop and alcohol tolerant. The lacto strains frequently distributed by the yeast labs are selected for predictability and preferred flavor profile. You might get some wild lacto that is unafraid of alpha acids but makes your beer taste terrible.

Pedio and acetobacter will also sour beer (in different ways) but tend not to be negatively affected by alpha acids. So it's not as though it can't be done just that the results usually aren't pleasant. Just add some vinegar to an IPA and see if that's something you would enjoy.

37. Kaz646

Kaz646 Zealot (90) California Dec 14, 2010

I
    I've also found sours to be great palate cleansers. I usually like to end my night with a sour because it will cut through anything I've just had.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  38. Ah, good to know. I always use =/=

ShogoKawada and HipsterBrewfus like this.