1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wrong to drink Sours after IPAs (or vice versa)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Immortale25, Feb 13, 2013.

1. What about this one? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9897/62736

I've never had it, so I can't verify it's sourness or IPAness, but that's what google gave me when I typed in "sour IPA".

2. If I am doing a big tasting I love starting with IPAs and moving to bigger and stronger beers...a few big stouts...then hitting the sours before going back to whatever...

3. Bitter Monk from Anchorage ~ sour-ish ipa

I drank an excellent homebrew about 2 years ago at a sour bottle share we did. Homebrewer said he was going for a PTY clone, blended with a smoky gueuze.

I was shocked how much his brew tasted just as he described it. Uber hoppy, sour, smoky, very light body.

Nobody knew him, nobody has seen him since. Like a superhero homebrewer with a hidden identity.

Beerbuddy21 likes this.
  4. ;P just pulling your chain broseph. I guess it's kinda sorta halfway there

Etan likes this.
  5. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Sorry I didn't say that in a way you like. How about 'I hear someone is culturing a hop tolerant lacto strain with desirable flavor characteristics'. Is that better?

6. Sours can help snap back your palate if you're drinking an imperial IPA and you want switch to something lighter.

7. Beerbuddy21

Beerbuddy21 Savant (410) California Nov 19, 2011

I'd say Anchorage's Bitter Monk too, actually my avatar would be a good experiment, Hoptimum mixed with Bitter Monk.
    Id also agree that a sour after a big IPA might work to cleanse the palate

8. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I find that having one IPA after another IPA does more harm than IPA after sour or vice versa.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.