1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WSJ: After Long Downturn, Beer Sales Are Back

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by dauss, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444083304578016193481145184.html

I'm not sure what they meant by "many specialty brews have a heavier taste". I believe it's called flavor.
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

It was a misprint. They meant "Many specialty brew drinkers have a heavier ass."
    cavedave likes this.
  3. racer2k

racer2k Savant (330) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

I believe it was referencing the fact that specialty beer is real beer vs. BMC which is flavored carbonated water...
  4. Just wait till consumers see the price increases this year. I just had to raise the price on Shocktop $3.00 a case from September to October because of increases from A-B

Bud and the rest are up almost a dollar a case. 30 packs of Bud will be almost $30 in the next few years. Craft brewers are doing a much better job keeping the increases under control and I think that is another reason why they are outpacing the growth of BMC.
  5. I think what you're seeing is Bud and the rest using the craft brew market to take advantage of their market, which represents the vast majority of all beer drinkers. They figure if craft brew can exact "x" amoutn of dollars out of their loyalists, then why can't they? I mean...BMC operates with relative impunity the same way cigarette manufacturers do. They know their clientelle isn't going anywhere. They're hooked on the price, which is still lower than most other beers at similar volume. They have history on their side. When craft prices go up...it gives BMC a chance to make more money. Price increases aren't likely to scare loyalists away until their prices surpass that of craft by a decent margin.
  6. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I'm not sure I understand this. A few years ago, in my area, $6 to $8 six-packs for high-quality craft were common. Now the price has shifted upward about 20% for many of the same sixers, not to mention new breweries which seem to think they can command top dollar out of the gate ($15 for High Water, LOL). After the hop shortage, prices jumped up and never looked back.

I mean, I can and will afford it, but I don't subscribe to the notion that craft price increases are 'under control.'
    Kopfschuss likes this.