1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WTF? Habanero Sculpin is still on tap?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by westcoastbeerlvr, Feb 22, 2013.

1. So I was at Harry's Hofbrau in RWC tonight, and they still have a bunch of IPAs on tap after their IPA fest this past weekend. In fact they still have Habanero Sculpin, both the Tap It APA and IPA, a number of special Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas IPAs, Brass Knuckle, White Knuckle, etc.
    Tonight they were actually doing $3.00 pints, but almost nobody showed up. Also, I got a bottle of Peche N Brette. What is wrong with people not frequenting this place? I don't usually do this type of advertising but I want this place to succeed.

afrokaze, kolcese4 and jtmartino like this.
  2. Putting habaneros in an IPA is a great way to make the keg last longer. Very clever of them.

3. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

The worst beer I have ever had was Citra (My favorite beer ever) on cask with Jalapenos.

4. I tried habanero Sculpin side-by-side with regular Sculpin at Ballast Point and thought it was awesome.

animatedbat likes this.
  5. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Sorry RWC ? Call me slow.

6. It's still on tap at Livermore Saloon as well, and I'm with Julian, I think Habanero Sculpin is phenomenal!

7. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I had this at the Citra release last year. It was okay. Not the worst. Yes it took the original citra taste away. I thought the first batch of Sculpin with habaneros was pretty awful. Not a big fan of spicy ipa's. Now the JO with Mosaic hops on cask was a hit this last citra release.

8. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

I saw the list for that event. Tons of great IPAs.

9. thome50

thome50 Aficionado (195) California Dec 10, 2006

Redwood City I'm guessing based on a quick use of the google. I'd never seen that abbreviation before either. Likely more common in noCal where it is probably hella cool.

10. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

Habanero sculpin is novelty beer. The first 2-3 ounces are like..."Who! this is the greatest ever," but by the time you hit 4-6 ounces, you've had enough.

11. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Peppers + IPA = Fail. Sad too that's a lot of speciality beer from BP.

12. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Do you work for them OP?

13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

He does not.

14. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Damn, you post a lot but I'm surprised you're answering FOR other people now. :)

alfrantzell likes this.
  15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Well, I know him, and unless he's decided to pick up a second job that's not where he works. Easy!

16. No, I don't, although I do know the manager, and since he's not on BA, I figured I'd give them some publicity on here. You can't keep up the type of selection they have with no rotation and no craft-beer-loving customers.

17. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

Oh, wish I saw this earlier since I've been looking for a bottle of Peche and Brett to try. Probably missed out again!

18. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Where is RWC?

19. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Give it time buddy. I wish Kevin the best with the new beer list up there but you have to admit that that Harry's isn't in the best location, RWC isn't exactly a beer hotspot but it's getting better. It'll take time just like with the SJ location. I might have to stop by tomorrow though, hate to see good beer languish on tap...

20. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

How much for the PNB btw?