1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WWWBV Release

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by bushmat2, May 19, 2013.

1. bushmat2

bushmat2 Aficionado (125) Colorado Feb 18, 2011

Total disaster. Waited over three hours to have it sell out before I could buy any. No indication whatsoever they may sell out till 15 minutes before they sold out. Didn't give out tickets. Had a very high 6 bottle limit. Not very happy with how that was managed at all. Between my CS reserve membership, extra allocations, and frequent taproom visits I can't imagine how much $ I have spent there in the past year or so. Just a "sorry guys" as we left. Glad I wasted my Sunday.
  2. bushmat2

One too many w's in there.
  3. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Get there earlier next time.
  4. Pretty sure that Kyle came out and let everyone know that there were 30 slots left where people could buy full allocations. I don't feel bad for you, son.

*Edit: Also if you got there three hours early, that means that you got there at 9:00...I got there at 8:17 (the first person there) and if you were there at 9:00 (three hours early) you got bottles.
  5. I got there 10:45 and got bottles
    drlovemd87 likes this.
  6. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Was a high allocation I agree, extremely slow checkout, no tickets, and didn't even open the doors until 12:30pm, there were many things wrong that they could learn from Avery. All that aside, if you got there early it was a blast, did require a bit of patience, but had a great time otherwise. If it was about spending money there then you'd be fine showing up after 12, I'm pretty sure this was first come first serve.

This had to be expected though... after Avery sold out (ran out of tickets) 45 minutes before the Volunt Plus Erat went on sale with same bottle count (roughly 1500), same allocation (6) and even lower price.
  7. Great bottle share, IMHO.
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Sounds like they should have provided tickets so people had the heads up that they weren't going to get a bottle sooner rather than later.
    buffs9, coenbd and bushmat2 like this.
  9. bushmat2

I waited over three hrs, I did not get there three hrs early. Agree that Avery has it figured out. Couldn't show up any earlier than I did, I have family in town. It is what it is, just disappointing
  10. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

This was the only wwb beer not to hit retail over the past two years. All others have been on shelves for months sometimes. Just cause you blow $1,000s on CS beer doesn't make you entitled at a public beer release. Sucks people got shut out but it is what it is. Show up early next time or trade away some reserve society beers for wwbv. There's 1200 bottles floating around Denver right now
  11. bushmat2

You definitely right, what I have spent on the place in the past does not and should not give me any entitlement at a public release. Not sure why I said that, just a moment of frustration I suppose. Only point I was trying to make is that it was not run all too well, and hopefully they learn and improve for future releases.
  12. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (640) Texas Jul 14, 2009

I got there late after ending up just walking from downtown. Waited for 3 hours and got no bottles. It sucked but its just beer. If I wasn't by myself I would have left line to at least get some beers on tap. Some day I'll go back and enjoy the place when its not crazy. Wish I could have made it to the bottle share but things happen. Oh well
  13. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I think like most...who the fuck would have thought 500 people were going to show up for this? It was 3x as packed as Zwanze day. Chad didn't expect it, he told me that. I think it will get better with future releases but seriously...the crowd this pulled was completely not expected.

Given there limited space, only thing i would probably do different is

A) Cash only.
    B) have the bottle release line enter through the back door which then keeps the tap room and barrel room less crowded for people just purchasing drafts and post bottle purchases.
    C) maybe do tickets...but again CS didn't expect this many people which is probably why they didn't.
    d4radio, drumrboy22, buffs9 and 2 others like this.
  14. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Wish he would sale bottles out of the back and releived some stress on the bar. Getting a beer sucked.
    jamescain and Knownfactor like this.
  15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

It was a bit of a clusterfuck. Not sure why they decided to release that beer the same day as tapping all the other WWB colors. Six bottle limit was way too much. I got 2 and that's plenty. Not well planned out. If they don't fix it, they will lose attendance.

But these types of events are best for bottle sharing, even if not promoted as such. Hell, next time I'll show up, bring a bottle or 3, and just share beer. Forget whatever's being released; will probably have it at the next bottle share :)
    hopfacebrew, coenbd and bushmat2 like this.
  16. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Chad gets a pass on this event IMO, he is learning as he goes. CS isn't even 2 yrs old yet, he'll dial it in and the new bigger space will help. The bar tenders are new and got over whelmed. Shit happens, wwbv dry hopped on tap was fanfuckingtatstic.
  17. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (455) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I got there about 10:45 and got mine. The bottle share was pretty awesome prior. I only brought a single bottle but the guys ahead of me were more than willing to share theirs. I won't be so unprepared next time. There were some amazing beers floating around. Nice to meet a few of you guys. We were wondering what was taking so long but when we got up to buy the beer Chad was handling the checkout solo while the other guys grabbed the beer. If people chatted Chad up he was gracious enough to talk to them but that didn't help the line or the time. The dry hopped WWBV was awesome, as were the two variations of Hop Savant. I had a great time and would do it again. I know when I paid Chad was visiably concerned that the line was STILL growing outside around the corner. That was like 1:20pm. I think if they just had another iPad back there it would have helped considerably with the time. I wanted to stay fot the WWB variations but didn't have time. Cheers.
  18. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Attn: Chad, by advertising cash-only... and only using Square when you have to (for those that forget cash) will increase your margins by 2.9%
  19. anyone have a bottle or two they will part with?
  20. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

'Twas a hot mess, but a ton of fun.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  21. I was there early when I heard people were getting there at 10am. The bottle share in line was fantastic and people around me were passing great bottles around. If you were in line after 12 then you had to know the beer might not last. I had my bottles and was outside sharing more bottles after and people were still getting in line. I agree that they couple have told people they weren't getting bottles but I could tell that just by the number of people in line.

Sucked that they opened about 40 minutes late especially when the staff was there more then an hour before they were suppose to open at noon. Also sucked how slow the line went but I expected that after the Origins release. They will learn. It's only been two releases there and I'm pretty sure they didn't expect this many people.
    Penguin3200 and hopfacebrew like this.
  22. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I'll never understand those who wait in line for a beer. Prost was great during this by the way, no crowd at all and amazing brews! ;)
  23. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

My favorite part of the day was the bottle share and meeting new beer advocates (as well as the friends I already knew)!! Like any release there were many pros and cons but I'm sure they will learn and try and improve!
  24. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I drank some of the best beers in the world in that line!!!
  25. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Of course there are things that could be improved, but showing up early and opening some great beers w/ other BAs is a good time, it should not be thought of as "waiting in line", at least not if you're doing it right.
  26. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (455) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Agreed. It's more of a " Dominating Life" line
  27. I posted this in the other thread, but IMHO they should've adjusted the bottle limit down to 4 once they saw the turnout. About 30% more people would've had the chance to experience the beer while not impinging on an individuals ability to taste a bottle now, share a bottle, and cellar two bottles.

It's horrible marketing and will hopefully be corrected in future bottle releases before they start losing customers over this (if they haven't already).
  28. I find it hard to believe that they will lose customers over this release. They have done two bottle releases and if as a customer you can't deal with a little pain of a release then there is a problem.

Avery had 55 cases of their last release and still kept the limit of 6 in place when they knew people standing in line an hour before they went on sale weren't going to get any but people really didn't complain about that. The time didn't fit into my schedule so I missed out on the Avery release. First time in a long time I didn't make a beer release up there.

Chad certainly didn't expect that many people to show up. Like I said before, I got my bottles because I was watching the boards and their FB page and hearing people were going to show up early. I planned on getting in line at 11:30am when I heard the release date but adjusted based on what I was hearing. People were still getting in line at 1pm. With the culture of beer releases now you take your chances when you get in line that late.
  29. Exactly. Based on where in the line the bottles ran out, what time I got there, and how fast the line grew behind me, I'd estimate that the cutoff of who didn't get bottles was very close to who got there before noon, which is when it was supposed to start.
  30. blindpiggie

blindpiggie Savant (370) Colorado Jan 27, 2012

Great to see everybody there. Yes it was a mess, but it's just a sign of the times. We should be proud that we have a brewery with the profile of CS here in Colorado. I hope all the people that got shutout get to try some WWBV from another generous BA. Or not...there's still so much other good beer.
  31. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

There is already a FT thread. Maybe someone who missed out has some BA Huna and can get their WWBV fix ;-)
  32. yeah if they have the entire WWB series plus a ba darklord, rare, and ba abraxus
  33. coreymcafee

And, taste-wise, they'd be on the losing end of the trade after the WWBV alone...
    woodchopper likes this.
  34. regular hunahpu is epic, so I can only imagine
  35. coreymcafee

I meant whoever gave up WWBV would be on the losing end taste-wise if they got BA Huna in return...but I'm sure most would disagree with my opinion.
    woodchopper likes this.
  36. hitter114

hitter114 Aficionado (205) Colorado Apr 30, 2011

waited about 3 hours to get in one of the 1st to get shut out of the bottles. Thankfully the BA with the hair of the dog tee hooked up a bottle, good karma man... So in the end chillin in line with friends for 3 hours in nice weather and we got to try O and BIV and came out with a bottle of WWBV to enjoy later, I still say it was a good day
  37. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

well why don't you come to a Midwest release..... we lined up for Kbs last year at 330 am for 3 4PKS of it for a 11 am release .....
    dark horse 4 elf party 4 30 am for a 11 am release.
    darklord day this year people were lined up at 5 am to get in and after the gates open at 10 a.m. some people waiting in line for hours just to get in not even get their bottles just getting in... you are so fortunate to have a brewery like crooked stave in your backyard all the beer releases I've been to in last 2 years have overwhelmed all of the brewery's they started to going to ticket only events...... not saying that this is the answer. if you know how to be a positive event planner why don't you step upstart a brewery and show us how it should be ran..... and when double the amount of people show up what will you do....

I personally am not speaking for Chad or his staff but if you're expecting 500 people in a thousand people show up what would you do? I am sure they did the best they could and learned something from this give a guy a break he's new and this whole beer scene is totally out of control just ask the people in California that lineup for Churchill's finest hour at 4 a.m. 5 a.m. and got shut out

again be grateful for what you have in your backyard and just roll with it
    I too am also a reserve Society member and got shut out by a couple of beers this year I am grateful for what I got if they brewed more that would not solve the problem either. the more he brew the more people know how GREAT CROOKED STAVE IS

THANKS TO CHAD AND HIS ENTIRE STAFF FOR A GREAT JOB HANDLING THE OVER WELMING DEMAND TO THEIR WORLD CLASS BEERS

Jamie Myetich :)
  38. I was planning on just grabbing my bottles and leaving, wasn't expecting the long day and so had no glass or anything to share, thanks to all the BAs who were pouring great beers and shared with me. Next time I'll be there at 9am with walez and a glass
    Knownfactor and joshclauss like this.
  39. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'm always happy how nice an generous everyone tends to be at events like this. I had no clue it would be so huge, but even for as crazy as it was, the crowd was always cool. I brought a couple relatively run-of-the-mill (compared to some that were there) items and people were still asking if it was cool to open them up. While I'm sure most of us figured it would be big, did anyone forsee it being that big?
    I think the main issue yesterday was that there were 2 lines essentially leading in the same direction (sans an exit) and creating a massive jam in the tasting room. I'm sure if everything was going to happen again, they'd probably open up the back area and have the bottle buyers either come in that way or at least have the option to leave.
    We'll see how they do with the next one, although without the special beers in the tasting room, who knows if that will even happen again? It was a perfect storm of new bottles and rare taps.
  40. They started letting people leave from the back towards the end. I left from the back...