WWWBV Release

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by bushmat2, May 19, 2013.

1. drlovemd87

drlovemd87 Savant (300) Colorado Aug 6, 2009 Verified

Yes please!
  2. Hessma

Hessma Zealot (80) Colorado Oct 19, 2012

Well said sir, and right back at you on the thanks. Really appreciate you sharing those Bruery gems. For anyone that missed out on the allocations, you just found an awesome oppurtunity and a good reason to become a BA member or to get to know your BA friends a little better. The beer is still out there, now put yer big boy pants on and go get it
  3. Brewgoop

Brewgoop Aspirant (35) Colorado Aug 2, 2012

its simple match folks. CS sold a little over 1000 bottles. I am sure they kept the rest for cellaring and events as any good brewery does. at 1000 bottles that's 166 people, give or take, that can get some if everyone goes 6 deep. 166 people and how many beer geeks on the front range. I learned at Margarete, get your ass there early, beer release days are like powder days.
    dsaudio likes this.
  4. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Advocate (530) Colorado Jul 22, 2005 Verified

kwijibo61, saxlover, forgetfu and 8 others like this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,160) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified Subscriber

6. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Advocate (520) Colorado Jul 26, 2011 Verified

drumrboy22 likes this.
  7. While I do disagree with you on some points, I think this is a great write-up. I do think that they should've decreased the bottle limit once they saw demand. Four is still plenty to cellar/age and taste over time and would discourage the hoarding/reselling aspect that seems to be more prevalent in today's craft beer scene (see below). Also, if you got there at noon, I doubt you got bottles.

Your write-off hit on one point perfectly: the craft beer scene in Colorado is changing and I'm unsure if it's for the better. These releases - as well as the demand for festivals/events - reminds me of what the concert music scene has turned into. $250 ticket prices, scalpers (if they havent discovered this avenue already), paying people to wait in-line for you. At some point, it stops being about community and starts being about competition. I hope that's not what we're heading towards, but I worry.

I hope at some point I get to taste WWBV. If I don't....well.....I may look back on this event as the end of the "good ol' days".

8. drumrboy22

I appreciate the compliments and discussion. Thanks guys.

I'm curious about the reselling aspect mentioned in the post above. Where does one go to buy / sell beer on the black market these days? I have absolutely no experience in this department and it's not something I had even considered when I wrote the article.

eBay's been shut down for a few years now and a quick look on craigslist turned up nothing. It's not something I have any desire to take part in, but it's definitely an interesting twist if there are numerous bottles showing up for sale online after a release.
    Hessma likes this.
  9. Hessma

I plan on opening a taco stand, which is really just a front for all my black market beers. Only 300 more events and I should have enough inventory to stay open for at least a week...
  10. drumrboy22

Your stand will fail. Put it on wheels. Beer, er, I mean food trucks are all the rage.
  11. Hessma

12. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (365) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

So you want the folks who showed up 4-5 hrs early to get the same number of bottles as someone who showed up at 1? I wish it worked like this because I hate waiting in lines but come on....

WWBV was on tap Sunday, why on earth didn't you drink any? It was dry hopped and fansomeonekeepsratting meoutforinappropriatelanguagetastic. I plan on going by manana to drink more. I may be there daily til it cashes.
  13. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Advocate (520) Colorado Feb 28, 2012 Verified

Say it with me, BO-DE-GA
    hopfacebrew and Hessma like this.
  14. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Verified

WWBV release complaints remind me of SourFest complaints remind me of this week's Bruery's Chocolate Rain re-release complaints. "Things" can always go better...for you. But unless you can get your beer/SourFest/Chocolate Rain at a warehouse or outlet store, people will always get shut out of acquiring something they want while others get exactly what they prepared for (early in line, faster internet connection, blind luck, a big wang, whatever). With craft beer's rise, more often than not benefiting you directly, there will be competition to acquire good beer. The entitlement perspective is what sucks. Sure you're free to complain about how "things were managed", but surely you have or will have the opportunity to consume where and when others don't. It's certainly a slippery slope towards overnight waits for beer, and while that shit's ridiculous to think about, it might also be kinda fun. Remember, this is a community...revolving around beer...it's not that f'n serious in the grand scheme of things.
  15. shebby

shebby Savant (290) Utah Feb 29, 2012

I'll toss in my outsider's perspective, for what it's worth. It's definitely harder to attend releases out-of-state because you can't get a pulse on things quite as well if you're not "in" the local community. I probably could have sought out information more aggressively, but it's all good. We weren't really sure what this release would be like, having only attended one other (much more low-key) release at Avery last October. We decided to show up an hour early, and arrived shortly after 11. By then the line had wrapped around the building, so unfortunately we missed out on the bottle sharing fun. Great weather to stand in line, anyway, and the people around us were all pretty relaxed/in a good mood. I was surprised to see so many people show up, and it's definitely a testament to Crooked Stave's popularity.

The downsides of this release were, obviously, the delayed start time and the crazy crowded taproom. I don't think it was an issue for people near the front of the line, but the farther back in line you were, the worse it was. At any rate, we spent about two and a half hours in line before we squeezed into the taproom, where we realized that getting a drink was basically just a free-for-all. Managed to try Violet (twice), Rouge and St. Bretta, with a taster of Hop Savant. All were quite tasty and eased some of the pain of the hot, overcrowded taproom. I would have liked to try more of the "rainbow" but by the time we reached the actual cellar room, getting back to the bar for another sample required more effort than it was worth. I did feel for people who were farther back in line, because Rouge had almost run out by the time we made it into the taproom, and I'm sure a lot missed out on the first couple rainbow variants. I know at the Avery release, they actually had workers who come through the line and take your order, so that might be one way to ensure more people get to try what's on tap (though I know CS is a lot smaller operation, so that might not be feasible). After we got into the taproom, it took about another hour before we made it to the table to buy bottles. Saw Chad a few people ahead of us, but he left by the time we got to the table, so we missed out on talking to him. We finally made it out with our bottles, and headed over to a much mellower scene at Dry Dock, which is a fantastic place. All in all, we had fun and were happy to get our bottles and try some new things on tap. I definitely think there are some areas they could smooth out for the next release, but no event is perfect.
  16. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

Not that I condone buying/selling at all, but it does exist.
  17. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,100) Colorado May 19, 2005 Verified

What?? Now, I didn't see how far the line stretched back or how it "behaved" back there, but where I was there wasn't so much of a "line" as a group of people in some sort of order. People were walking back and forth filling glasses, getting there's filled, and mingling about. Sorry others missed this, twas fun

--what part of KS? I'm from Topeka/Lawrence and miss Free State quite a bit
  18. adnielsen

adnielsen Aficionado (215) Colorado May 2, 2009 Verified

Though I was only tipsy before noon, count me among the few that has no qualms with getting wasted on good beers with good people before noon. I wish these events happened more often so I could pawn off some more of my seven year old IPAs on to some of you turkeys.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (690) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Pretty sure office refrences should be in every thread.
  20. shebby

shebby Savant (290) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Well to be fair, we weren't prepared for the bottle share either and didn't bring much of anything :). But next time maybe I'll just go up and say hi anyway! And Lawrence, FTW.
  21. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Champion (770) Colorado Jun 9, 2006 Verified

I have read your blog before and found it enjoyable but that youtube video with the guy mocking hip-hop culture was pretty lowbrow and tasteless, borderline racist even. The part about "underground, Fight Club" style tasting groups was kind of passe, I mean we don't all announce (or post pictures) that we're going to pop rare bottles with our friends do we?

inb4 everyone starts crying about how my schtick is old or I'm a hater
  22. drumrboy22

So ArrogantB and I have discussed this and we've agreed that I'll respond to his post and we'll move on, so as not to drag this out publicly. He actually tried to delete the thread, but it was already locked. He didn't intend any harm, but his post struck a nerve with me, largely due to the "racist" comment. Anyway...
    First, the mention of "underground" groups was started because Scott over at The Beer Whisperer mentioned giving access to his site only to a select group of people. Personal experience being my mixed feelings on posting to an audience on my site about events and small batch releases and knowing the risk of shutting out myself or other craft fans. The "underground" scene tied into that a bit and it made up all of 3 sentences in a nearly 2,000 word post.

Second, I don't appreciate in the slightest bit being called "racist" in any way, directly or not, in a public forum. I've seen you post for years and you've said a lot of things on here, but as someone who maintains a pretty low profile on BA, I certainly didn't expect this kind of response. While I understand you might not agree with the video and for the most part, I don't think it fits our site, please don't through the term racist around on BA or elsewhere.

If the video offends or is really that disturbing to you, simply let me know and I'll take it down. That wasn't the goal and I apologize if you it upset you. At the time, I was trying to make light of the oh-so-serious beer hunters that have hit the scene in the past few years. That's what I took from the video when I viewed it and I just wanted to put it up for an audience that might appreciate it.

I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding that can be fixed over a glass of WWBV, but come on my friend, let's consider the terms we're using before we use them.
  23. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Savant (410) Colorado Mar 4, 2010 Verified

I hope I don't come across as an oh-so-serious beer hunter! I crack all sorts of jokes and take it all in stride. :D
    drumrboy22 likes this.
  24. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Advocate (520) Colorado Feb 28, 2012 Verified

The Internet, and beer, is serious biniss
    Hessma likes this.
  25. Hessma

26. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (385) Colorado May 30, 2006

Not old or a hater, just a jerk. We can always count on you for that!
    Fitshaced, Ratman197 and ArrogantB like this.
  27. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (310) Colorado Oct 18, 2009 Verified

I can't believe I, of all people, am the voice of reason here.

How is it no one has made the most important statement of all?

This is not called a beer community because of the beer, folks...it is the other word - community. It is PEOPLE.

I am constantly amazed at the kindness, the generosity, and the comradery of the folks I know and continue to meet as a beer enthusiast/geek/snob. I arrived at WWBV a couple minutes before 12 (BTW, 3 from the last person to get bottles, and that is because Chad dipped into the stash he intended to set aside...credit where due). People were hollering hello all thru the line as I walked to the back. I had no less than 3 pours before I even got in line. Awesome.

However, this isn't my point. When I was at the recent Avery release, I got there late and got shut out. Guess what? I GOT BOTTLES. Know why? Because I go out of my way to make myself part of this community. I go to many releases, I go to tastings, I bring things to share, I am good friends with the folks at my local liquor stores, at all my favorite breweries...I AM INVOLVED. I DON'T have a sense of entitlement. It took time and effort to build my friendships. And when I was there at Avery, drinking their amazing beers on tap, multiple people that found out I didn't get a ticket OFFERED me to purchase one of their bottles.

I have 2 young kids, and a wife that could care less (until i crack a beauty around her), so I don't want to hear those excuses. I don't want to hear ANY excuses. Don't just show up with an attitude folks. Get involved. First clue...if you come on this site and post a complaint, and most people disagree with your statement - YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED. You are likely someone with a sense of entitlement, and frankly, WE DON'T CARE what you are complaining about.

Wow. I guess I needed to get that out.
  28. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,100) Colorado May 19, 2005 Verified

Um, helloooo, I said community like 5 days ago or something while you were walking on the grass. If you're the voice of reason, and repeating what I say, then I must be Reason :cool: Lord help us
    Ratman197 and coreymcafee like this.
  29. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

Cheers to gklover1 (and Mebuzzard), great post(s), and yes this is a great community to be involved in.

Although I'd like to make the distinction of a complaints vs. constructive criticism. Complaining would be expecting beer or sense of entitlement vs. constructive criticism of how the event could be handled differently in the future. I agree about no complaints, but I think constructive criticism should still be able to be voiced, no?
    coreymcafee and gklover1 like this.
  30. ssteigerwald

I'm giving away a bottle. I'm also drunk. Take me up on it regardless. First come, first served. Prove you didn't get any though.
  31. ssteigerwald

I'll be more specific to prove I'm serious.

I was going to offer up the bottles on my blog as a "contest" of sorts (purely a contest, no moneys involved). But since people here have been so passionate, I thought it better to offer one up here instead.

I went in Sunday intending to buy 4 bottles. I bought 6 after waiting in line so long thinking, "I deserve it". We'll, I've been pondering that decision and think I done wrong. Right or wrong, move on.

So my offer is, first grabs. As long as you can prove you have none and are willing to pick it up either near my home or near my work. I live near Southlands mall, so that is a fine place to meet. I work near Park Meadows, so that works during the week. Only thing I ask is, don't inconvenience me.

'nuff said. Reply here.
    fortsambo, Walden97, denver10 and 2 others like this.
  32. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

sweet offer, if i lived near the south burbs id grab that but i dont even know where southlands mall is, lol

i wouldnt leave park hill if i didnt have to every now and then
  33. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (160) Texas Mar 31, 2011 Verified

I'm flying up from Houston next weekend (and have none) for some brewery tours and CS release and will buy you a few rounds downtown if you are that way on Saturday afternoon! If not, that's cool, and you're awesome for offering it out. I love the generosity on this site!
  34. dsaudio

dsaudio Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 13, 2010

Scott, just as always, you are the diggity, don't know anyone who would give away their stash so others could enjoy this release.
  35. Ratman197

Ratman197 Savant (415) Colorado Aug 11, 2007

I had a friend who got tired of waiting when he would have got bottles and said F- it instead and grabbed a beer at the bar so at least 1 more person got bottles at the back of the line.
  36. ssteigerwald

No one took advantage of my offer, but I'm still offering up a bottle. I'll be at the Momi Hiwa release if that makes it any easier for someone to grab it then.
  37. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,160) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified Subscriber

This weekend is the first Cellar Reserve bottle pick-up, right? Is it going to be zany, or a little more formal?

Knowing how many bottles people are picking up, I can't imagine it being logistically sound for a tasting...or is it a matter of "where there's a will, there's a way?"
  38. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

First members pick up for me. I was hoping there might be a bottle share. I was told doors open for regular hours and just go pick up your bottles and meet some members. Is it only open to members?
  39. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (345) Colorado Oct 31, 2010 Verified

Just got to talk to Chad. Sunday will be open to the public and normal hours. The day is only for bottle collection, although loitering by Cellar Reserve members is encouraged. Luckily, no line will be necessary.
    Hessma and drumrboy22 like this.
  40. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

would love to run into a BA or two on sunday. no idea what time i'll roll around though. sundays are the first day of my weekend (what kinda chef doesnt work saturdays?) so sometimes im a little slow to get started after the long week...