1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wyeast 3711 is a BEAST!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ewright, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

OK, I didn't hit it with the biggest beer ever, but I took a 1.050 OG beer that was mashed in around 148-150F and pitched around 70F. Nine days later, it's down to 1.004 and the krausen has dropped almost completely out. Tasted the gravity sample and it seems like it'll be a nice, dry refreshing beer.

Will definitely use this yeast again!
  2. I love this yeast too. I love dry crisp beers and this yeast really gets the beer down to a low FG.
  3. I brewed my first beer w/ 3711 about a week and a half ago. It was pitched/fermented in the mid-upper 60s and as of yesterday was at 1.012 (started at 1.045 and mashed at 152), so I roused what yeast had flocced out and boosted the temperature to 72. Probably going to kick it up to 75 tomorrow.
  4. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i used it on my 2nd homebrew recently, got down to 1.02.

i was not a huge fan of the flavor tho - i greatly prefer the earthy, musty tones of the dupont strain.
  5. ewright

I went to the LHBS with the plan of using which ever yeast was younger. 3711 was only about 6 weeks old while the 3724 was over 5 months old. I do want to go back and brew the same or similar beer with the other strain once I can find some that is fresher or have more time to build up a starter.
  6. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I agree- I've found the dupont strain to be much better for my tastes in standard saisons. Though I do enjoy the french strain in a darker wort with a elevated ferm temp....but that is it. The rest of the times I've used it I just did not enjoy it as much.
  7. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

3711 takes weeks to finish. It does not look like it is still going but I assure you it is still working.

I liked the saisons I made year better than the one I made this year with 3711. Maybe the strain drifted but I agree the saison I made this year was pretty lifeless. Last year had a nice orange/tangerine and even a hint of licorice.

Interesing about working well in the darker wort, what was your grain bill?

8. Russian River uses "French Saison" yeast in Perdition, which is a darker biere de garde-- probably my favorite of thier clean belgians.
  9. My personal experience with 3711 (I have used it three times) is that fermentation is complete within one week. I have always further conditioned the beer for an additional week. My Saisons using 3711 have all been bottled at the two week mark and they all turned out fine.

Yes, Wyeast 3711 is certainly a BEAST of a yeast.

Cheers!
  10. ewright

Thanks, that answers my next question!
  11. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

3711 is most definitely a beast. In my experience and many others, 3711 will digest many dextrins found in wort quickly unlike most pure strains of brewer's yeast. Trying to think of the BA from Texas who did an experiment with 3711 and a wort that was something like 50% crystal malt and had the beer finish near 1.008 or so.
  12. I've used 3711 twice. Both times, it ended up at 1.000. I mashed low and used 1 lb of table sugar in both batches. I liked the flavor, but it seemed to get kind of bland after a month or so. I enjoyed it, but I think I'll try 3724 in my next Saison.
  13. “I think I'll try 3724 in my next Saison.”

I enjoyed the Saison I made with 3724 last summer. This was the first time I used 3724 but the resulting beer was more ‘complex’ then the Saisons I brewed with 3711.

The 3724 Saison had a very tasty balance of fruity (esters) and spicy (phenols) flavors.

My experience with 3711 was that it created a more one dimensional Saison with the spicy (peppery) flavors dominating.

Just be prepared to be patient with 3724. My beer fermented continuously for 5 weeks in the 80’s: OG = 1.060 and FG = 1.004 (I reached 1.004 after 4 weeks but checked it at week 5 where it was also 1.004).

Needless to say but there is a risk that 3724 will stall out for a period of time (1-2 weeks). I would recommend that you just wait this stall out if it occurs since 3724 is very likely to just start up again.

Cheers!
  14. If that's true (the 50% crystal) that's incredible.

It also matches my experiences that 3711 doesn't care about grist composition nor mash temp, it's going low.
  15. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I'd have to look at notes but I am pretty sure it was my standard dubbel bill for one. Something like 75% Castle Pils, the rest equal amounts of special b, caramunich, aromatic and dark candy syrup. The other was a dark saison that I used Pils, special b, some wheat and and some chocolate malt. Both were really good. I did add some spices to one of them but noting too fancy.
  16. telejunkie

my understanding is that with the dupont yeast you are waiting for the 2ndary strain or maybe even metabolic pathway to spring into action which most believe is a wine yeast strain or derivative. As you say, it almost always will, just need patience.
  17. telejunkie

Back when 3711 was first released the first beer i did with 3711 was about 10% crystal/carapils iirc, mashed at 148-150F and the beer finished at .998. :confused: aptly described my reaction...needed to calibrate my hydrometer to make sure I was getting the right reading.
  18. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

My first with 3711 was just about six weeks ago. Took a 1.044 OG to 1.002. Nice and dry, but I can't say as I particularly enjoy the flavor profile. It's a bit too fruity for me, and nowhere near enough peppery spice, just the opposite of what Jack got. But yeah, it really chews through the sugars. I think it actually fermented part of my plastic bucket, too. I'd be afraid to filter it, fearing I'd just piss it off.
  19. “ …just need patience.” You said it there! If you use 3724 you need to be a patient person.

Cheers!
  20. “It's a bit too fruity for me” Wow! My three Saisons were so spice (peppery) dominant that I was unable to really perceive any fruitiness. I wonder if this is a function of Original Gravity? All of the Saison beers that I have made have been OG of around 1.060 (or higher).

Below is Wyeast’s description for 3711. It does mention estery and citrusy and I don’t doubt that those flavors were in my Saison beers but they seemed to be ‘overwhelmed’ by the spice (pepper) for my taste buds.

Cheers!

YEAST STRAIN: 3711 | French Saison

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.
  21. jokelahoma

I couldn't say, Jack, but I wish mine were that peppery! I added a bit of cracked black pepper at flameout to try to make it more peppery, so I'm doubly disappointed that it's mostly citrus. I kept the temp stable at about 68 degrees ambient, so maybe that played a role too.
  22. “I kept the temp stable at about 68 degrees ambient, so maybe that played a role too.” For what it is worth, I have always fermented 3711 in the 70’s.

I know that a general rule with yeast that if you ferment warmer more esters are likely to be produced. I have no idea whether this is true for phenols (spicy flavors) as well. So, to the BA collective: does fermenting at warmer temperatures increase the amount of phenols for those yeasts that produce phenols?

Cheers!
  23. jokelahoma

I will say that my beer is changing a bit over time. The citrus is fading and the pepper is becoming ever slightly more pronounced. But it's still on the fruity side for me. Dunno if it'll last long enough to make a complete transition. :)
  24. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

That guy is an asshole;).
    50% wheat 50% C120. OG40 stopped checking after it hit 1.003. Was aiming for a higher OG.
    telejunkie likes this.
  25. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I'm not really a fan of this yeast. I don't like how fruity/one dimensional it is, and I really don't like the mouthfeel. The "silky and smooth" take away from the beer as I like my saisons dry (even though the FG is low it doesn't feel dry).
  26. I've been making a beer I'm calling Warrior Ale with this 3711 and I've been really enjoying it, made it a few times

basic recipe -

Warrior Ale
    6 lbs Pilsen LME
    1 lb Blonde Belgian Candy Sugar
    3 oz Warrior
    2 oz Saaz
    1 oz Cascade
    Wyeast 3711 French Saison
  27. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Reading from the top of this thread down I was thinking this yeast sounded like it would make a good pale ale. I like you choice of hops and may have to give this recipe a try, adding some dry hops.
  28. awesome, let me know how it goes!
  29. ewright

Just to come full circle on this thread, my recipe was

8# 2-row pale malt
    2# torrified wheat malt
    .5 oz Perle 60 min
    .5 oz Perle 10 min
    8g freshly crushed coriander at flameout
    3711 pitched at 70F, fermented in a swamp cooler in a 76F closet.

I bottled 1 case of 12 oz bottles yesterday, then tossed in just shy of 1/8 t cayenne pepper, stirred it up and bottled another case + 4 bottles of that concoction. The bit left in the bottling bucket tasted awfully good; the cayenne/coriander combo is a good one.

Can't wait for this one to carbonate!
  30. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

You probably know this, but torrified wheat is unmalted.
  31. ewright

Yeah... typing too fast.
  32. I just took my first gravity reading (8 days) and it's at 1.010. I'm a little disappointed. It got going within hours of pitching, and is still bubbling about twice a minute. (I know, I know! Not an indication of completeness/lack thereof! Just an observation that gives me hope of going lower). I pitched at 78, let it fall to 72, brought it to 75 and just now raised it to 77. It's just my first reading, but I'm hoping it can get down to at least 1.005. It's tasting nice, but if the gravity doesn't drop any further, could I carb on the higher side to kind of lighten it up?
  33. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

ive heard comments about the preferred flavor of the dupont yeast, and preferred attenuation of the french yeast. anyone ever tried starting primary fermentation with 3724, and when it starts to die, kickstarting with a small pitch of 3711 to finish? seems like you would get the best of both worlds this way...
  34. Smw356

Smw356 Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 14, 2013

You could, but you could also just hold the 3724 warm enough for it to finish and it will finish just fine, some of the complexities don't really come out in 3724 until those last few points of attenuation. Ie it will do 1.070 - 1.010 in a few days, then take a week to drop to 1.005, but the flavor change during that 2nd week is pretty transformative, I can't help but think that you'd be losing something there using 3711 to force it to dry out.

I think co-pitching Dupont and a strain of brett (trois / claussenii) would probably be a lot more interesting if you want to pitch multiple strains. Or maybe even dupont and 3787/530 to get some of the stone fruit esters it throws off when fermented warm.
  35. ewright

I did this ... sort of ... with my Brettanopeches. I pitched 3724 and the dregs from a bottle of BRUX. When the 3724 died out around 1.025, I pitched the dregs from my original 3711 saison. This turned out to be my best non-IPA ever. Aging on peaches for 7 months surely didn't hurt matters too!
  36. Well, that's a happy turn of events. I turned the heat up to 78 and 24 hours later it went from 1.010 to 1.005. I underhopped though. The Saaz I got was 8.1 AA (totally not really Saaz), so I hedged. But I'm much more optimistic, now. After last night I was expecting a drinkable saison. Now I think I can pull off an above mediocre saison!
  37. mrjimcat

mrjimcat Aficionado (210) New York Nov 22, 2002

Used 3711 on my one and only saison. It was my best beer ever. I have a 48 oz bottle left. It was bottled Jan 1 2012.
  38. First time using this, brewed a dark saison last Sunday. I knew something was up when the starter started dropping after a day...hmm. I picked this yeast because I brew partial mash and wanted the attenuation. It was hot this week so cellar temp was around 75 but hey i wanted it to work. Checked the krausen today and it was already dropping. This bad boy took my 1.080 S.G. dropped it to 1.012 in 4 days! Now i'm thinking maybe i need to find a cooler spot for the last few days before transferring to secondary. Probably too late, but ok.