1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wyeast 3711

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by alanforbeer, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I'm planning on brewing my first Saison this upcoming weekend (extract/mini-mash), and I'm pleased to have finally gotten my hands on Wyeast 3711 to do the job. Here's the question:

I've got some citra and amarillo pellets on hand that I'd like to use, and I really want to make sure that my ferment temp. encourages hop-forward flavor; in other words, I'd like to minimize some of the black-pepper or any other flavors that might overpower the hops.

So, those of you with experience using this yeast, what primary ferment temp. should I shoot for?

How will higher/lower ferment temperatures affect the flavor of a beer made with 3711?

By the way, ambient temp. in my apartment is 71-72F. Thanks for your advice!

2. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

Saison yeasts typically compliment hop aroma, though I must admit I haven't used 3711 specifically. From what I hear though, she is a monster that doesn't have the sticking problem of other saison strains. That being said, if you are trying to limit the estery/peppery kick from the yeast, you will likely want to go towards the cool side of the recommended range, which is 65 degrees. Others can give you more specifics, I'm sure.

3. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

In my opinion if you pair hop flavor with 3711 you may as well just make an IPA and use sugar to dry it out. You are just going to overshadow the yeast.

My experince is that 3711 has a bright lemon/orange flavor that is not that strong. I did not get any spicy pepper. Cannot remember what I fermented at but it was not overly high, like 75 ambient or something. At higher temps/higher gravity (all relative I know, but I dont have my notes here) I got some licorice.

I have some in the primary now, but that is in the primary. And fermented alot hotter than I did before so it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

edit: i am talking about stuff I brewed last year. this year is still in the primary

4. I have used 3711 a couple of times to make Saison beers. I ferment in the low 70’s (e.g., around 72°F). Both of my Saisons came out with very noticeable spicy/peppery flavors with citrus flavors being a secondary flavor component.

Wyeast 3711 has a recommended range of 65-77°F. I know that fermenting cooler will have a tendency to minimize esters (fruity flavors). I don’t know whether this will also be true for the spicy/peppery flavors which are phenols.

Cheers!

5. I've fermented 3711 at mid-60s and low 70s, and IIRC, they were pretty similar. 3711 seems pretty unusual in the fact that, in my experience, it's not particularly sensitive to either mash nor fermentation temperature.

I love 3711 and citra hops, in fact, I have one on tap right now.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  6. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've had lots of luck ramping the temp up from 68 to the mid 80s near fermentation. The strain is a beast, but it's a bit one-dimensional. You can probably make a good beer with it :)

7. Do you still get the characteristic tropical fruit flavor of citra? Or is it more general citrus flavor + other stuff?

nathanjohnson likes this.
  8. Wish I could continue to make IPA's...but the arrival of unseasonably warm temps here in Columbia, SC has made brewing anything except Saisons a bit impractical for the moment. I take your point about overshadowing the yeast, though.

9. Definite tropical fruit. This is with 1.5oz of citra at flameout.

10. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (665) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

My experience with 3711 leads me to believe it will work just fine with Citra. 3711 is the French Saison yeast and doesn't have the same black pepper phenolic character found in the Dupont strain. Its much more fruity esters and mild restrained black pepper / clove notes.

As you know I'm sure this yeast really attenuates out, so have a light hand with your bittering additions so the beers doesn't turn out way too bitter to be enjoyable relatively fresh.

I'd probably skip a 60 / 90 minute addition in favor of a modified hop bursting technique to maximize the tropical fruit flavor and aroma while keeping the bitterness in check.

Cheers!

Thorpe429 likes this.
  11. i brewed a saison with 3711 at pretty much the same room temp and 1 oz of citra at 10 and one oz of citra at 0 and it was great. like other people said 3711 go well with hops, specially citra and amarillo.

12. I made a saison with 3711 and Citra added at flameout (and 1oz dry-hop). 3711 + Citra is a match made in heaven.

13. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I don't recall how high I took the temperature when I tried this yeast a couple summers ago, but it wasn't anything crazy. It might have started at 66 or 68 and made it to the low 70s, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of it was fermented before I got out of the 60s. I don't think I have enough familiarity with the strain or memory of the the beer to describe the yeast's impact on flavor. I want to say slightly lemony. Mostly what I remember is ending up with a beer that was much bigger than I wanted: my mash was unusually efficient, I added a pound of sugar to the wort (as I wanted to dry it out some-in hindsight, a bad idea?), and the yeast went to town, attenuating to 1.001. I was estimating something like an OG of 1.059 and an FG of 1.007 and but produced a beer that was OG 1.065 and FG 1.001. Dry, with a kick.