1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wyeast 3864 Canada/belgian yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Ricelikesbeer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Hey guys, who has used this one? I'm pretty pumped to try it out. I brewed an extract w/steeped grains the other day, and think this yeast will be perfect for what I'm doing.

Here's the recipe just in case:

8 lbs pilsen lme
    1.5 lbs corn sugar (.5 lbs of it added after fermentation slowed)
    5 oz. belgian aromatic
    3 oz. carahell

1 oz 3.8aa styrian goldings @ 60 min.
    .5 oz styrian goldings @15 min
    .5 oz styrian goldings @ 5 min

2 packs 3864

Pretty pumped to see this one come out. I love Unibroue beers and am hoping to have the same fruity/spicy/estery flavors in my beer.
  2. Ricelikesbeer

No one has tried this strain eh? Everything I've read online suggests that it is pretty consistent with Unibroue's yeast: super fruity, with some good spice and a good attenuator. I guess I'll have to report on my own beer!
  3. Ricelikesbeer

Ok, I have to report this one, because I'm surprised that few have tried it and talked about it. It's by far one of my favorite yeast strains to date! It's so similar to Unibroue's yeast strain that it makes me think I can actually successfully clone a few of their beers.

The strain is super fruity, has good head retention/lacing, attenuated nicely (80 or so %) and has plenty of complexity and spice! Very delicious and I could see it in a range of styles besides strong golden. I'd like to try it in a quad or dubbel just for fun.
  4. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

Awesome! I've never used this strain, and have always wondered exactly how it handles. Have they added this strain to the year-round selection, or is still seasonal? Whenever I've gone to use it, my timing has always been crappy and I've missed its availability by about a month.