1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

WYES

Discussion in 'US - South' started by nolabrew, May 14, 2012.

1. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

I've never been to this. Is it worth going to the private beer tasting on Friday?

2. Both the VIP event and the regular event will have a lot of good beer. Whether or not the extra $10-$15 is worth it is up to you. I think WYES will be putting out a press release with all the available beers at both events if they have not already done so. Check their website for more info.

Edit: Yep, here it is: http://www.wyes.org/beer/wp-content/uploads/beers-vendors.pdf

3. Beerbuddha

Beerbuddha Savant (445) Florida Feb 17, 2007

I really enjoy the Friday night event. They will have special casks this year as well. At the Friday event some of the breweries bust out some of the good stuff that you don't normally get to try.

4. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

5. Beerbuddha

Saturday is looking pretty good as well from a local brewery and homebrew standpoint!

6. Yeah, they've really stepped up the main event this year.

7. I think I'd catch about 10 commercial brews myself, and then spend the rest of the time on the local/homebrew section! In and of itself worth the price of admission from the looks of it.

I see Mobile Brewing and Pensacola... I guess it's presumed that those are soon-to-be distributed in LA?

8. nolabrew

I saw a commercial for the WYES tasting last night before Sherlock (which everyone should watch IMO) and it kind of made me laugh. First it showed a cooler full of Mich Ultra then the announcer said "Many hard to find beers" and the shot panned across a bar with bud, bud light and corona on display.

Beerbuddha likes this.
  9. nolabrew

10. avenuepub

So glad you enjoyed it! I'll look for sunglasses!

11. avenuepub

Interesting ...haven't heard they are coming. Because all the beer is donated to WYES they get around the distribution laws so it's not necessarily an indication of things to come.

12. I'm no business person, but if you don't intend on distributing in Louisiana, what would their motive be for donating to the fest? Wouldn't the goal to be to gain a customer base? What good are Louisiana customers if we can't buy their product? lol Definitely a head scratcher lol

avenuepub likes this.
  13. Good point. Maybe they're just feeling out the market. By donating your beer and serving it at this event, they can guage customer reaction and make a decision based on that whether or not to enter the LA market. And all that for the low cost of a few gallons of beer.

14. Beerbuddha

My guess is if they are coming Southern Eagle will be picking them up. They grab as many local and local-ish they can possibly grab. Doing a good job of it too.