1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wynkoop Releases Mile High Pale Ale in Cans, Patty's Chile Beer to follow mid-July

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Todd, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

The beer will debut a new can design, with Patty's Chile Beer to follow mid-July

(Denver, Colorado) – Wynkoop will release Mile High Pale Ale as the newest addition in their can lineup just before the July 4th holiday weekend. The beer, a sessionable (at 5.5% A.B.V.) version of the popular Mile H.I.P.A., will feature a new can design which will be the template that the other year-round classics like Railyard, Belgorado, B3K, and Colorojo will soon transfer into. The new can template features the Denver skyline as well as a map of Denver in the background.

“We wanted to update the look of the can and create more unity in the design of the beers we make. ” says Andy Brown, Wynkoop’s head brewer. “We are Denver’s first craft brewery, so I made this beer and named it in tribute to that back when I started working there in 2008.”

The beer is currently being made exclusively at the brewpub using our innovative hopinator device, and cans will be available in 6-packs starting July 3rd. Mile High Pale Ale will also replace Silverback, which is no longer produced by Wynkoop, in the Mile High Mix 12-pack box. Colorojo Imperial Red Ale, which originally came out as a seasonal, will be transitioning into the year-round lineup and will be the next beer to move to the new design.

Patty’s Chile Beer will be back in 4-packs mid-July, and will feature a new label as well. “The seasonal, hand-labeled cans will continue to feature quirkier art, but will still be easy to connect to the other Wynkoop beers on the shelf once they are all in the new template,” says Brown. Patty’s, named after Westword founder Patricia Calhoun, will follow Kurt’s Mile High Malt, which was released in April and featured a Kurt Vonnegut self-portrait.

http://www.wynkoop.com

###

2. ElNino

ElNino Aspirant (40) Colorado Jul 2, 2014

Just got the Mile HighPA yesterday. Well worth a try If anyone gets a chance. It's actually a pale ale as opposed to an IPA. Good summer time ale.

3. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (415) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

I'm a fan of the Patty's Chili, but when they canned it last year it was off from what I'm used to drinking on tap. Primarily I thought the pepper influence was subdued and it tasted a bit flat.
    Hopefully this canning is more true to draft.

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'm a big fan of Patty's although I've never had it from a can before. I drink the hell out of it whenever I visit the Cherry Cricket. Granted there aren't THAT many mainstream chili beers but the only ones I can think of that I like more are the ones from Coopersmith's and Comrade.

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  5. spoony

spoony Advocate (535) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

I went through a chili beer phase a few years that was started by Patty's and I'm not sure if I found anything that lived up to it.

6. Domingo

If you ever see anything about Comrade having Yellow Fever on tap - I highly, highly recommend it. It has more body than most (okay, probably all) other chili beers.

spoony and Jasonrm72 like this.
  7. Domingo

...and on a related note Comrade should be tapping Yellow Fever today!

Jasonrm72 likes this.