1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

XS Old Crustacean Ceramic 750 with no date

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mikeincharleston, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Member

saw one with no date. guessing it's a '12 but really have no clue. thought they were only doing 7oz. nowadays. anyone have any ideas of a date

mike
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

Check out rogue.com. They are doing the whole vertical with a couple ceramics. Think they are 05 & 09

Cheers!
  3. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Member

not seeing anything on rogue.com like that.
  4. weaksauce

weaksauce Member

Were they sold out a few minutes ago? That would have been nice to try although a little pricey for some of the smaller bottles.
  5. weaksauce

weaksauce Member

6. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Member

ah. thanks. still doesn't tell me what bottle year it is though
  7. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

Is it the bottle size or date that's the stickler? It's a big barley that can hold its own in the bottle regardless of the date or size.
  8. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Member

It's a 2005. The only ceramic that doesn't have a date is the 2005....this was the first year that they used the ceramic bottles. Not sure why they didn't include the vintage as they've always done through the nip/12oz years.

EDIT: Quite possible that is a 2011 bottle...I haven't seen one yet in person, but they're back to those ceramics again. Really wouldn't surprise me if Rogue failed to date a vintage yet again.
  9. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Member

Yeah im betting there arent any '05 just sitting on a shelf in SC
  10. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Member

Perhaps unlikely, but certainly not outlandish. There were stores that still had the late 90's nips available as recently as a few years ago up my way (CT/NY). So a 2005 unmarked vintage of a fairly high price tag item isn't an impossible thing to find sitting on a shelf. I'm pretty sure we'll have the same conversation again in 5 years asking what vintage these undated on-the-shelf ceramic Old Crusty bottles are.
  11. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Member

Those ceramic bottles typically don't fly off the shelves, so I wouldn't discount that as a possibility. Even still, I want to say that the Double Dead Guy bottles used to be dated, but the new black bottles are not. Also, the Double Chocolate and Double Mocha are both not dated currently either. Granted they are technically another series and not the XS series, so that theory may just be a wash...we have no ceramic XS's in the area, so I can't say.
  12. HopTaco

HopTaco Member

Because I have one of these fellas:
    [​IMG]

I wondered the same thing so I contacted Rogue directly.

From my email to Rogue:

"...My question is this: I recently acquired a few bottles of the XS series: Old Crustacean and the Imperial Stout in ceramic bombers with no bottle dates. I presume they would be the first vintage year Rogue produced them but I am having a hard time figuring out when that was. Also they have gold caps and newer (and dated) vintages have black caps.

What year would a undated ceramic 750ml bottle of Old
    Crusty and RIS be? I have heard it could be around 2005 but I just want to have some confirmation."

Response from Jim Cline:
    (VP/GM - Director of BS (Beer Sales)
    Rogue Ales and Spirits )

"Thanks for contacting us!! Wow you have found some treasures!! You know your Rogues, you are right on both assumptions. No dates on year 1 and Gold Caps. Lay em down for another 3 to 5 years if you’d like, I have!! Appreciate you contacting us! Jim"

Great experience with the Rogue people. So according to the "horse's mouth" I am the proud owner of 3 2005 Old Crusties.(sic?)

EDIT: Gold cap is key to 2005. Black cap and no vintage could just mean the year was rubbed out.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  13. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Member

Thanks for the info. So if its black i should assume '11
  14. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Member

I recently picked up a few bottles of XS Crusty with black caps and no date. Did anyone ever figure out if these are the 2011s? Thanks.
  15. npala86

npala86 Member

Yes, they are 2011
    BeersAndBears likes this.
  16. braugon

braugon Member

awesome response from rogue