1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yank checking out Sydney scene

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by liverpool, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'll be visiting Sydney from Minneapolis, USA. I'm hoping to get a feel for the Aussie beer scene and taste the best craft beers there. Any suggestions for beer bars, bottle shops and/or breweries in the Sydney area?
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Bottleshops

Platinum Liquor (North Strathfield, Bellevue Hill)
    Camperdown Cellars (Camperdown)
    Porters Northwood (Northwood)
    Beer Cartel (Artarmon) - Haven't been but heard good things

Bars

Local Taphouse (Darlinghurst)
    Harts (City/The Rocks)
    Pumphouse (City)
    Union Hotel (Newtown)
    Frankie's Pizza (City) - Haven't been but heard good things

Brewpubs
    Redoak (City) - Some will tell you otherwise but it's worth a visit. Be wary of pretentious service though.
  3. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Daniel's list is pretty good. I haven't been recently but by all accounts Hart's Pub in The Rocks is now the place for good beer in central Sydney. The Local Taphouse can be good depending on what is in. Pumphouse and Union Hotel have smaller selections but are nice. As noted, Redoak has its detractors but is worth a visit.

Also worth the trip for someone from overseas is a ferry ride to Manly where you can visit 4 Pines which is a very nice brewpub with nice food and good beer. Also there is a Murray's restaurant which is an outlet of one of Australia's best craft breweries. Not cheap but the beers are very nice. Many of them can be found in bottles but as a tourist I'd recommend going to Manly and trying them on draught while looking out on the beach.

If for some strange reason Canberra is on your itinerary, give me a yell and I'll try to meet you at the Wig & Pen which is arguably Australia's best brewpub and is doing some fantastic sours at the moment.
  4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

oh yes, I forgot Murray's and 4 Pines for some reason
  5. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Serious answer time................... Give the Sydney crew (myself, Mrkennedy, spicelab,and danieelol) dates you are here and we all can get together a tasting. Good times and hospitality.

As for places to visit, daniel and dgilks are right on the mark. Red oak is worth hitting as just for the ticks. Their bitter and EIPA are quite good. Rest are sketchy. Murray's at Manly and 4 Pines are very close to each other and worth hitting. Murray's as the more extreme option and 4 Pines for a good venue with solid beers.
    Harts Pub is by far the best beer place in Sydney and a great location as in the Rocks. Food is superb and beers are also solid. Riverside Brewing is good but just a tasting room currently. Flat Rock Brew Cafe near Crows Nest has some interesting stuff for being a new venue.
    Newcastle is probably the best bet overall though. The Albion Hotel has a strong range on tap and Warners at the bay gets the most stuff in NSW. Will see a lot of Vic beers that are not around in Sydney and some stuff from WA and SA.
    Hop Dog in Nowra is also quite good. Bit of a drive though. Illawara Brewing does some decent stuff.
    Wig and Pen in Canberra is a blast. One of my favorite pubs, weather US or Australia. Food is not good at all but the beer is top notch and on par or better with anything in Australia.

You will struggle with the pricing. I did that when I first moved out here. It is expensive but relative. if you go to venues stick to tap beer as a better price option. Bottles here have a very high mark up in most venues.

There are some really good beers here that nobody knows of and a shame really.

Hit any of us up and we can organize a good Australian tasting.
  6. Had a check and most good info re Sydney was on the old forum, and also times change.....

Just a few logistics in here.

Bars - If you are staying in the city, then you can do Redoak, Harts, Pumphouse, Frankie's Pizza, and also the Lord Nelson via walking.
    The Taphouse is a 20 minute walk - up a moderate hill - from Central Station which, erm, despite the name is not necessarily tourist central. Easy walk back down tho. :)
    Murrays and 4 Pines are a ferry ride away. Separate from city but worth it.
    Shops - Most of the bottleshops mentioned are a long long way away from touristville, (Sydney is big) and not maybe as interesting for an American, as they stock US and other imports which funnily enough you may recognise......

have fun...
  7. Frankies is awesome, the later it gets the more fun you will have. Albeit the bus that seems to run through the place and runs us over each time is a bit harsh. Damm Jordon and his high alc offerings ... Damm him.
  8. Thanks so much for all these suggestions! I'll be in Sydney and the Hunter from12 feb. to 23 feb. (those short American holidays.) I'll be all over the city and I love any excuse to go to Manly.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Short holidays in the US, yep. I got 6 weeks when I lived in Australia...