1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yank to visit Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by InVinoVeritas, May 14, 2012.

1. Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

G'Day mates, I have the great fortune to be traveling on business to your outstanding country once again. This will be my second time coming; my first I was lucky enough during my 8 weeks to travel Mackey, Sydney, Airlie Beach, Melbourne and along the Great Ocean Road. However, this time I will only be in Australia for 2 weeks, Brisbane being my only weekend (May 26 & 27). During my stay in Brissy any BA mates up for grabbing a pint? Any good pub suggestions or other fun things to do? I'm half thinking about driving to the Gold Coast. I fly to Newcastle Sunday evening; is football played on Saturdays, that be a great time! Saw a cricket while in Melbourne, but I'm sure I'll enjoy football more if that works out.

Thanks for all the help in advance and CHEERS!!!
    Jason

2. i'm in perth and haven't been to brisbane, nor to the gold coast since i got into decent beer... but i think there's somewhere called the archive in brisbane that's got plenty good beers? http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/

if you have any time in newcastle then murrays brewing (just outside newcastle) would be worth a visit, or the albion hotel has plenty of good beers too, and might be having a beer dinner or event on while you're there http://www.thealbion.com.au/ ... looks like they have mikkeler / 3F boogoop on tap at the moment - vastly different to the albionhotel in perth ($15 for a pint of peroni last time i was there, and not much other choice besides)

3. Thanks!

Unfortunately most of my available time will be in Brisbane (no offence to those from Brissy). This is my current schedule:

Wednesday May 23rd land in Mackay
    Friday morning the 25th fly to Brisbane
    Sunday evening the 27th fly to Newcastle and drive on to Singleton
    Wednesday evening the 30th drive back to Newcastle
    Thursday morning the 31th fly back to Brisbane
    And Friday morning June 1st return to the States.

If I was in Newcastle for the 26th and 27th, I'd have the option to go to the Newcastle vs. Gold Coast Rugby League game or The Albion does have an event that Saturday. A number of people have recommended Archive, it looks like I'll have to check that place out.

Prost!
    Jason

4. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

the scratch and archive are both in brisbane and reportedly pretty great. keep driving past the gold coast and head to byron for a day. have a stone & wood pacific ale in it's natural environment, at the top pub.

5. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (355) Australia Nov 29, 2008

^ Good advice. Byron is a hell of a lot nicer than the Gold Coast and only another 45 mins down the road. I can also heartily recommend the Scratch. Small place with 4 taps and a nice vibe, run by good dudes. I'm working most/all of the weekend but I'll shoot you a message on here if can sneak out for a pint at some point.