Yard House Dedham

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by MVP09, Feb 17, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Also shame on me for complaining about great beer. But YH dedham chills all their beer way too cold. Had 2 really good beers and had to wait till they came to a tasty temp. I know 1st world problems but for newbie craft people like me it gives false presentation. My last few sips of each beer were awesome because i could taste them

2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Did you tell the manager?

3. That's just the downside of 100+ taps in a chain restaurant that caters to a low common craft denominator. (And includes a few macro taps)

Honestly, I go there fairly often, and they do a great job overall. I've only ever had one beer that was on tap for too long, which is much better than I can say for certain other establishments with 100+ taps. You're totally right that they serve their beer a bit too cold, but with that many taps, it's not exactly easy to get everything at the proper serving temp.

4. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

If memory serves me correctly the tap temperature and pressure are all controlled standard wise by one guy at their corporate center . He is the guy who designed the system. This was what I was told when a buddy worked at a yard house but that was over 3 years ago and they have expanded a lot since then.

5. Yep, coldest St. Bernardus I've ever had. And with no head...

I actually go to Wicked more often (right next door). Smaller but solid beer selection, easier to get a seat there at prime times, and i love their pizza.

kevdemers and BobZ like this.
  6. MVP09

Never told manager. Like I said 1st world problems. I can wait for beer to warm a bit. Just wanted to confirm I was not only one who picked up on this. I had an Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Stout. Very good low ABV bourbon stout. Thanks for Wicked reccomendation. I will have to try. What do they have?

7. Never noticed since I pretty much stick to the house ipa and pale ale and I dont mind those styles on the cold side.

Just warm up the first one with you hands, and order your next one right away so it has a chance to sit and warm up before drinking.

8. It's a much smaller list (maybe 10 taps?) but I'm always happy with what's on. One or two of the taps is reserved for Bud/Miller, but everything else is craft. They always have 1 or 2 Peak taps, 1 or 2 from Jack's Abby, usually a Clown Shoes offering, Berkshire, and the rest rotate randomly. They can surprise you sometimes. For example, they were one of the places that got Heady last year as part of that organized shipment through Arborway imports (Yard House didn't get any - to put things in perspective), and last time I was there they had Victory Hop Devil on nitro. I liked how that was a bit different, if not strange...

I often get the seasonal Peak offering there. Maybe I like Peak more than other people, but I find the cleanliness of their beers pairs well with the "artisnal" style pizza. And it always tastes/smells like I'm getting a very fresh pour. Maybe because they just turnover Peak quickly there...

9. MVP09

I am a big Clown Shoes fan off tap. Had Supa Hero once at Pats Place!

10. I came here to point people towards Wicked too. Nice beers on tap and the food is twice as good.

11. Wicked is solid. You'd think Yard House was the only restaurant in the greater Boston area with how busy it gets sometimes, yet Wicked usually isn't a very long wait despite behind a quarter of the size. You don't get the beer variety, but the tap list is nothing to sneeze at - last trip there I had a Jack's Abby Saxonator (double bock) and Harpoon Leviathan Czernobog.

I still prefer Yard House, but when the bar is 3 people deep and a table takes 2 hours, Wicked is nice to have around after a movie.

12. My pet peeve with the Yard House is they never serve a beer with a head, at least when you are at a table. Their system of having waitstaff put in order, bartender put it up, and then a runner delivering the beers, either means that the head dies before the runner gets it to us, or they just don't bother taking the time to pour a head.

13. Very true. The upside though is they usually give you very full pours there. Also quite generous in what they serve in pints - not many bars left that will give you pints of Imperial IPA's and stouts for $6ish.

14. I'd rather have a full pour than what's become the standard 3 finger head at a lot of beer-centric places around town.

15. Yard House needs to clean their lines more often. Last couple times I was there I felt like I was drinking a yeast infection. That and the food is just ok. Sipping a Mojo IPA at Wicked as I write this.