1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yard House - St. Louis Park

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Mplsmetro57, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Chaz likes this.
  2. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Hallelujah! My west-side options are improving.

3. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Sounds awesome, but my only concern is tap lines going south...

One of the biggest problems with bars that sport huge selections is that they can't keep the tap lines clean, and can often mess up otherwise good beer.

theCoder likes this.
  4. herman77

herman77 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Nice! Within walking distance for me.

gatornation and dc55110 like this.
  5. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Maybe we could finally get a beer together!

6. Almost within walking distance... well I guess I could if I had to. Only about 1.5 miles away

7. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

First JL Beers and now Yardhouse! Opitions in the western 'burbs are lookin' better and better! :)

cmannes likes this.
  8. herman77

herman77 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Indeed.

9. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I used to live right by the original location and worked near the second location. The beer lines were surprisingly never an issue and once you see the set up, you will be shocked to hear that because logistically, they are usually set up with incredibly long lines.

Despite the number of taps, they are usually pouring mainly common stuff. The good things are that the number of lines usually allow them to always keep some solid picks on, like a nitro Old Rasputin, for instance. They also started to have beers brewed for them, as well. So you will see something like a Belgian Yard House beer that will be good but not great. Their food is actually surprisingly good for a chain and at respectable prices. Their happy hour is pretty killer. Back in CA, I honestly didn't go very often, because I had one of the best beer bars in the world, within half a mile of me. And I am not saying that there aren't great beer bars here, but I usually have to go a lot further for them now. For a chain, this is probably the best place that could possibly pop up and the location couldn't be better.

BTW, expect long lines almost immediately and expect them to be a regular occurrence, if you are looking for seating. For bar dwellers, there is usually plenty of room (if maybe not stools) and plenty of bartenders.

10. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

According to today's Star Tribune Yard House opens @ West End next Thursday, March 13.

"The sprawling 300-seat operation is notable for its bar, which will tap a staggering 140 beers — is that a local record? — stored in a showy, glass-enclosed, 5,000-square-foot cooler."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/248600821.html

djschnabel and Chaz like this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  12. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (270) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

Definitely looking forward to this opening as it's a short drive for me. They usually have 6-8 chalkboard specials that rotate frequently. Other than that, the lineup doesn't seem to change much, but with 140 taps, it'll be awhile before anything gets repetitive!

Oh, and their food is pretty decent too!

13. [​IMG]

14. don't let them tell you that 1-1/2" of head is the "proper way beer should beer poured" like they do at Yard Houses in California!

15. opwog

If that opening date is correct, that is well ahead of what they were saying at their headquarters. I saw how far along it looked to me and finally called about three weeks ago and they gave an ETA of early May.

Also, if that date is correct and if they do things the same across the country, they surprisingly have had the best corned beef sandwich featured on St. Patrick's day. They don't normally do anything else Irish themed, but I bet that they still get a lot of spillover crowd from Cooper that day.

16. opwog

Has anybody gone here yet? Beers of interest?

17. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I have been a couple times. They had pints of Abrasive for $5.00 at happy hour and it was tasting amazing, followed that up with some Abyss. They had a lot of Belgians on that I haven't had but other than that nothing too interesting.

18. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

LOL! :)

Mnmaverick likes this.
  19. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (115) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

20. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

21. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

They didn't..

22. opwog

Their happy hours are usually a good deal. Their taps tend to breakdown like this (from what I saw over the years in CA):
    80% crap

18% stuff any beer geek can get happily by on when friends want to hit happy hour, large groups, people want to see coinciding sport events without feeling too much like you are in a sports bar, etc. Usually these beers are something that makes you say "man, I haven't had that in a while."

2% - usually interesting stuff to any beer geek

It is still less than two weeks old, so it may take a bit to hit their stride. Tomorrow is one of my exception days from my otherwise non-drinking Lent, so I was trying to pick a place where some non-beery people would also be happy.

billhelm likes this.
  23. opwog

I went here last night and I have to update that breakdown, because there was far less "crap" beers. A lot of businesses have stepped up their selections, so maybe Yard House has had a chain wide uptick in the number of quality beers that they are making available, but this SLP location only had about 40% crap and about 58% solid beers, if maybe not terribly exciting beers. But no complaints over $6 pints of Abrasive and Death Of A Contract Brewer.

gatornation and McRyan like this.
  24. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Perhaps in missing something obvious but how do you see the tap list on their website? I found the chalkboard but want the full list

25. opwog

The odd thing that I noticed is that on their full website, you can't see the full tap list, but I did have the option when I looked them up using my phone. I am using chrome at home and chrome (mobile) on my phone, so it does seem a little odd.

Also, I don't know how often they are updating that list, because I could see some handles already flagged with "tapped out," which will always be common to see. I don't get the feeling that Yard Houses ever switch out kegs through the day, probably because of the number of options.

McRyan likes this.
  26. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Stopped in today; lot of beers, nothing too amazing, but for the love of god, when will this urban industrial decor bullshit end? That vibe just sucks. Didn't work in 2004. Still doesn't 10 years later.