Yard House to be purchased for $585 million by Darden (Olive Garden, Red Lobster)

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jul 13, 2012.

1. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Does this mean I may actually use the Red Lobster / Olive Garden gift card my football team got me last year? Will the Yard House honor them, or will I be called a "r.....d" (can't use that word and no one should in the context above) if I try to use it?

franklinn likes this.
  2. mgp2675

mgp2675 Initiate (0) New Jersey Oct 30, 2007

I worked at Red Lobster for 7 years as a waiter, I saw them expand Olive Garden to what it is, buy out Longhorn (and make it worse), and completely change their own image. The changes they made to Longhorn will happen to Yard House, sadly. Btw the beer selection probably won't get better, the majority of Darden restaurants have beer like Blue Moon and Sam Boston Lager at best.

3. mgp2675

mgp2675 Initiate (0) New Jersey Oct 30, 2007

Yard House will honor them after the official acquisition.

4. Jays2716

Jays2716 Aspirant (45) Missouri Jul 16, 2012

Darden has said they're leaving the entire YH management structure in place, so I have a feeling they are going to follow the model of Capital Grille more then Longhorn. After YH was bought out by TSG in 2007 their beer list got better, not worse.

yemenmocha likes this.
  5. I am going to Fenway location August 22 Sox vs Angels and I am so excited to drink the selection on the web page and can't wait to see what they may have on the 5 rotating taps.

6. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (425) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

I am surprised by how much displeasure there is with Yardhouse on here. I have been to the one in Atlanta and I love the food, granted it is not very unique food, it was well made and good. The beer selection is vast and has a good amount of locals and does have some oddities. Big fan of this place and hope this doesn't have bad implications for it in the future.

keithmurray and yemenmocha like this.
  7. Don't you know that anything involving chain or mainstream restaurants will get slammed here? I am waiting for one to open in Raleigh and I'm looking forward to it. At least they serve food unlike WoB.

albertq17, yemenmocha and Kmccabe33 like this.
  8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Actually I've chatted with the bartenders on a few occasions and the chalkboard offerings (the more obscure stuff like Port Brewing, Sofie, etc.) rotate very fast, often in a week or so and they're gone.

The flaw in Yardhouse's lineup is they're so mainstream with most of their taps... but that's also a strength for them because all of their stuff does sell. It's just not a beer geek focused place for us like others are that have only hardcore offerings.

9. yemenmocha

That and a family-friendly place. Happy Hour is in the entire restaurant. Service is almost always very, very good which is rare at many local beer bar sort of places.

10. yemenmocha

I was going to say similar - they've only gotten BETTER.

They now have a permanent section on a digital chalkboard that rotates fast - around a dozen beers. I normally get Sculpin or Sofie or something from Port Brewing. They're catering to the beer geeks a bit more and it's a positive change. Plus I get great service and there's a lot of vegetarian food options I like.

11. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (490) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

both times I've been the server has been well informed about beer and could maintain a conversation about the merits of the style, tasting notes, etc. I also ran into one of the servers picking up a selection of craft beers at one of the shops around here.

I'd rather drink at Old Chicago's but we don't have one here, but with OCs it comes down to the manager not being a dingus and liking beer to keep the shit swill off of the rotating taps. I understand everybody needs a chance but I'd rather drink awesome quality beer from a larger brewery than second rate stuff from somebody else. I'd go there more often but it's a bit expensive to spend 40 bucks on dinner and drinks when I could get plowed at home for cheaper.

sendsilk likes this.
  12. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I went to the one in Houston in June. big mistake.:mad:

champ103 likes this.
  13. I love the Yardhouse at fenway...less than 2 mins walk from my apt. The list is great and I have had some great beer on tap there 120/devil dancer/brett

The one gripe I have with them is half the waiters think they know everything about beer and some times try to force their opinions on you.

14. If a server tries to force an opinion on me, whether it's a food or beverage item, my displeasure is usually reflected in their gratuity. By force I mean mention it more than twice or tell me what I ordered is crap. Try it - it might make you feel better.

ObiWanKushnobi likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Well see the Yard House is a "corporate chain restaurant" so people can't like it. If one opened near them with the same ambiance, decor and tap list but was called something else they be raving about it.

yemenmocha, Brew33 and albertq17 like this.
  16. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (425) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, I always forget about that nonsense on here. Don't get me wrong, I love the smaller local places that have great unqiue food and tap lists(Brick Store Pub for example here in Atlanta) but I have nothing against the bigger giants that still manage to do things well. At the end of the day I'd like to support the smaller local place but have absolutely no problem saying I enjoy Yardhouse for example.

17. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

the big thing is IF they can do that. The one in SD is nothing special and there are numerous amazing beer bars and other restaurants with better food and similar if not better tap list. Neither my wife or I were impressed the few times we went to YH, and she doesn't drink so it isn't because of some beer geeky-ness.

With that said, I am glad to see there will be more locations. I think this shows the popularity of craft beer in general. Plus if I am traveling to some place that is a beer wasteland, there may be a YH near by with all of the new locations expected to open. And although I was not thoroughly impressed with their food, I do consider it better than Olive Garden.

18. Though I've not been there since their early days (and even that was only a single visit), their tap list has been more impressive in the past few years than it was in the early days - when you could count on one hand the number of San Diego beers they had on draft.

19. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

How long ago was that? I've been going to the SD one for a long time and they've always had a big list...pretty much since it was built. Are you talking the Gaslamp one? Back in 2005ish they had over 100 beers on tap.

20. Reread my post - I was talking about the number of beers local to San Diego (or the area) on tap. In their early days, they'd have a few Stone Beers, maybe Yellowtail and Karl Strauss Amber, and that was about it.

21. Props to Yard House for their new special bottle list and draft list. I just had some Parabola at Yard House. Great to see steps in the right direction!

yemenmocha likes this.
  22. Yardhouse stopped selling the Yard glasses because it was difficult for servers/bartenders to know when someone was too drunk. Someone would be semi-drunk and order a Yard, then feel like they had to finish the thing and end up completely drunk. Bars can be sued if they keep serving beers to a drunk person. Yardhouse is a half-billion dollar corporation, most large corporations have policies that safeguard against lawsuits.

I do love the yardhouse happy hour, nachos, and sliders.

23. There is a Yardhouse being built by my work. I am actually fairly excited for it to open.

Retsinis likes this.
  24. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Yeah me too, since previoulsy the closest yard house before was in Pasadena. My hope is that if it's successful, that it may influence other restaurants & bars to be more open to a wider selection of beers, since more local customers may start to ask for them after regularly going to the yardhouse. The fact a Bevmo & Total Wine are also just around the corner helps a bit with this too.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  25. Cheers from a fellow 'Smokey-Boner'! That place got 4 yrs out of me in college as a cook.

26. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (580) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Same with the Legacy Place location in Dedham, funny the price per ounce seems to work out better for the 16oz pour than for the "half-yards". Anyway, great place to grab a beer before (or after) a movie.

27. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I went to Yardhouse this weekend (downtown SD on Market.) Pretty solid beer selection including a handful of local offerings. Good happy hour prices, and we tried a few apps that were tasty.

Not nearly as "cool" as the real beer bars in the area, but a trendy, clean, spacious place to take some friends or the family for dinner and grab some solid beer.

28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Terrible parent company to be under but if....they open a Yard House in my town, I'd be a happy camper.

29. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

Screw this, if a place opened here in Brandon with good food and over 100 taps with SOME real craft beer on it, I would be on it like stink on shite! Closest thing we have is Miller's Ale House but they wouldn't know a craft beer if it bit them on the ass. Blue Moon and Sam Adams are their 'craft' beers. There are a couple of places in Tampa, like Tampa Bay Brewing Company (with great food and their own excellent beer) and of course Cigar City, but no food their except for food trucks. I don't eat from food trucks, sorry, weird vibe for me.

30. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (490) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

they're also expensive to replace when they break and the drinking experience isn't quite as good because it takes so long to drink that the beer is no longer in the proper temperature range by the time you finish. It's also the most expensive way to drink beer at the place as far as cost per ounce is concerned.

31. Went to the YH at LA Live and I thought it was well done. They had well over 100 beers on their list, were reasonably priced and the waitress was actually informed about the beers/beer styles on their menu. The food is standard pub fare, but to all the people bad mouthing the food, were you excpecting a 5 star gourmet experience at a place such as YH? I just hope they continue to improve on what they already have established.

32. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I've been to one Yardhouse here in Illinois (the Glenview location). They've served some really fresh beer and they have a huge variety too. I've never had a problem with the food or the beers. I just hope that this buyout doesn't reduce the quality of either of those factors. If it doesn't I will have no reason to complain.

33. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Visited the Denver location, and imo, there is absolutely no reason to come back. Yeah, they have a lot of beers, but it's pretty rare that a place can have 100 beers that I am not excited about in the slightest. Yet they managed to do it.

champ103 likes this.
  34. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

I've had friends go that have told me the lines are dirty, the bartenders don't know their beers, and there are an abundance of classy ladies at the bar before they hit Santana Row.

1 out of 3.

franklinn and Arbitrator like this.
  35. As long as they keep Founders Centennial, Green Flash WC & Uinta on tap, I don't care if McDonalds buys them.

36. Beer places in SD remind me of pizza places in or near NYC. You didn't see any of the pizza chains here because the pizza was already so good in the thousands of small pizzerias that nobody wanted to buck the trend. Then one came in [who cares who it was] and found that there was a market in certain locations. Now the national pizza chains are all over the place, comparatively speaking. It only takes one. And chances are, the big places are knocking a few of the smaller places out. That's what is the shame of it.

37. yemenmocha

New menu is already out with some nice additions. Chalkboard menu is still in effect with plenty of good rotating stuff. Monday nights are now happy hour almost all night to compete with sports bars.

38. The downtown LA yardhouse had 120 minute on tap and served it in a straight up pint glass, no stems no seeds no sticks.

That being said, I don't think a super corporate chain buying a moderately corporate change really rattles my Yahtzee cup that much. If KIA buys Hyundai I am still driving a korean virginbox irregardlessly.

39. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

fwiw, I'm pretty sure Kia and hyundai are already owned by the same company

40. Hyundai bought Kia in 1998, the number of people who have gotten laid as a result remains in the sub-plural levels.

franklinn likes this.