1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yarra valley

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by sirob, Feb 22, 2012.

1. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

I'm heading that way next weekend. Will be dragged to heaps of wine places but wanted to hear about beer stuff on route between Melbourne and the Yarra. Obviously White Rabbit but do they even have a tasting room/ bar? Anything else?
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I haven't been to the Yarra Valley, but Hargreaves Hill would be on my itinerary if i did spend some time down that way.
  3. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

Yep - definitely go to Hargreaves Hill whilst you are there. It's worth the trip. It's in Yarra Glen and they have a pub there where you can buy their limited releases and other bottles.

You could stop at Coldstream if you want as you're passing through the town. It's on your right as you go out. Coldstream is pretty tiny and very hard to miss. not sure which way you're going but that is definitely the way I head out there. I've ducked in there twice and had samples and picked up a 6-pack. (better value than buying 3 bottles)

As for White Rabbit, it is just outside of Healesville and well worth dropping in and having a drink. They have their fermenters surrounding an open bar area where you can see (and taste) some raw ingredients and you overlook Giant Steps/Innocent Bystander. It's in a giant factory near the bakery. Innocent Bystander is good for lunch if you weren't going anywhere in particular yet - though I'm sure other wineries are just as good (or the Healesville Hotel). If you feel like Innocent Bystander, make sure you book online in advance or you won't get in. They are busy on weekends, but serve great pizzas and olives.
  4. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Thanks folks. Coldstream was new to me, I'll be sure to try get there
  5. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

I would probably use it more as a stop off. If you haven't tried their beers before it is certainly worth it.
    Depends what you like. Hargreaves Hill does a mean ESB!
  6. White Rabbit's setup is quite good.