1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yeast Question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sprucetip, Apr 2, 2012.

1. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

I just made a 10 gallon (hopefully 10 drinkable gallons when done), and put it into 2 6-gallon carboys. I pitched wyeast pacman (no starter) into one, and 1 pack US05 into the other. My dilemma is whether to pitch more US05 (and degrade my split batch experiment) because I hit 1.067? Was aiming for .060, but got better efficiency than expected. Do you think I have enough yeast, or should I put some more us05 (all i have) into each one? Thanks team.
  2. 1 pack of S-05 is enough yeast for one of those, but I would worry a bit about the pacman. Even 1.060 is stretching it with no starter. If you got a decent amount of oxygen in the wort, you'll probably be OK, but might not hit your desired FG and might have some other issues depending on the health of the smack pack top begin with.
  3. spointon

spointon Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 25, 2007

I would have pitched more of both. Mr. Malty's yeast pitch calculator is free, accurate, and will help you make better beer. That calculator says you needed 2.5 smack packs for 5 gallons of the 1.067 wort in question...unless you make a yeast starter.
    http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
  4. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Thanks. Lots of folks have said up to 60 was safe for 1 package or vial. Lots to learn. Also learning about hot break. Got huge amounts of coagulated protein this time.
  5. US-05 will have no problem. My personal cutoff for that yeast Is 1.070 or so. Early in my home brewing career, I brewed an award winning 1.110 Barleywine using a single packet of US-05 with no issues. Not that I'd recommend that, just sayin'.
  6. “Lots of folks have said up to 60 was safe for 1 package or vial.” The yeast vendors agree with that statement.

Wyeast states: “The Activator™ package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator™ is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates.”

White Labs states: “Each vial of White Labs liquid yeast is designed to be used directly in 5 gallons, hence the term "pitchable yeast." Each vial is equivalent in cell count to a pint starter, or 75-150 billion cells. One vial will usually start fermentation in 5 gallons in 5-15 hours at 70°F. If a faster start is desired, or if initial gravity is over 1.070, we recommend a 1-2 pint starter be made.”

Now, a word of caution concerning the two above quotes. Neither vendor explicitly mentions it but implied in the above direction is that you have a fresh yeast package/vial. Over time some of the yeast cells will die off and you will end up with less viable yeast. So, if you have an ‘old’ pack/vial (e.g., several months old) it would be prudent to make a starter to ‘recover’ from having lost some yeast.

In my personal opinion the Mr. Malty calculator performs a very conservative calculation (i.e., it will recommend a lot of yeast be pitched). There is absolutely nothing wrong with following the Mr. Malty recommendation but in my personal opinion you can consistently make very good beer pitching at a rate less than what Mr. Malty recommends.

I also want to re-enforce what Mike mentioned with respect to US-05. I use this yeast a lot and I too feel very, very comfortable using a single pack for a beer up to 1.070. At an OG of 1.070, Mr. Malty would recommend 1.2 packs. I suppose this is one case where Mr. Malty and I are ‘on the same page’.

Cheers!
    premierpro likes this.