1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yeast starter question.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slayerhellfire, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ok so I was planning on making my oatmeal stout tomarrow but did not have time to start my yeast starter last night, was wondering if making one this afternoon would be enough time for the starter to grow, I would be brewing around 2 tomarrow. 1800 ml starter- YWEAST 1028, THANKS
  2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

It would be better than nothing.
  3. Yeah I just didn't know if it would change my final product drastically or not
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not ideal (assuming you don't have a stirplate), but as HB42 said, it would be better than no starter. If you can't delay your brew day, at least shake/swirl the starter every chance you get. If you can get it to the point of 'high krausen' you probably won't be underpitching by too much.
  5. So can I pitch my wyeast pack with out having it swell into my starter , I got home a bit early but don't have much time
  6. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

Yes, you can make the starter without letting the pack swell, though I would make sure that you see some activity in the starter as you won't have the added advantage of knowing that the yeast is viable before putting it into the starter.
  7. [​IMG] think I am good to go!:)
  8. [​IMG] how can you post pics on here for some reason It won't show up
  9. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

You can't link from your desktop, you have to upload to a site like photobucket or imgur.
    ditch likes this.
  10. yeah so I signed up for photo bucket but still can't figure it out, any suggestions.