1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Yeast Starter Question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Manoftyr, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Manoftyr

Manoftyr Savant (270) New York May 6, 2009

Making a BSDA at about 1.1OG, doing a 4L starter and using a stir-plate; think it'll be good to go after 24hours?

2. I've done a number of 18 hour starters with no trouble.

3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I typically do my starters in 2 stages:
    1) 1000ml wait 48-72 hours
    2) decant, add 1750ml of fresh wort, and pitch 24hours later into 10 gallons.

I think you'll be good after 24 hours, however it will still be activly fermenting so you'll need to pitch the whole thing without decanting off the spent wort. With such a big starter, it may adversly effect your final beer adding all that oxidized stir plate wort.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

How many gallons of beer are you making and how old is your yeast vial/smackpack? A 4 Liter stirplate starter is huge, even for 1.100 OG ale wort.

5. Not huge really... A month old smack pack creates ~370 billion cells by yeast calc and a 5.25 gallons of 1.100 needs ~350.

I know a guy that has a 5L flask he runs full due to the number of lagers he makes...

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

That's all true enough. But that's why I asked about batch size and yeast age. For me, month old packs are the exception rather than typical. For example, 5 gallon batch, week old yeast, and now we're talking about 2.6L. The context of the question made me feel like the OP may not have made many starters, so I felt I should ask for more detail.

7. For me it's the exact opposite, and at $13 a pack!! Just found another place in town selling for $9, I can't tell you how excited I am.