1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yeast Suggestions for a Hoppy Stout

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nathanjohnson, Jan 11, 2013.

1. My friend has requested a sub-5% stout with juicy hops. I plan on brewing something like a irish dry stout with some amarillo, simcoe, and centennial hops. Not quite a black IPA, but a definite hop addition.

I was thinking of using an English strain for this, leaning towards either Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or Wyeast 1098 (British ale). Any one have an preference towards either of these in regards to a stout? I'm also open to other suggestions.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I've used both and between the two, I'd lean toward 1028 for something irish stout dry. I think 1028 is also a little more neutral flavorwise if you want to showcase the hops.

3. Not one of the two but if this were my goal, 1450 would be my choice.

4. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

Hop bill would make for a fine American Stout, I would go with 1272 or 1056 IMO.

5. Personally for that percent and to have the hops come through nicely...I would go with us-05. It should give you the dryness, maybe not the Irish part. But its a nice clean yeast and will showcase the grain bill as well as the hop list! Cheers!

6. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

agred with 1028. it will ferment very dry and clean.

7. Thanks y'all. I think I'll go with the 1028.

Now I just need to figure out what the next batch will be (fermented with the 1028 after the stout).

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

English IPA?
    English Barleywine?