Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

Yes SEPA folks, it's that time of year (PtY thread)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by hhkal17, Feb 15, 2013.

1. hhkal17

hhkal17 Advocate (580) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

This is going up a little earlier than expected as word is the sixtels have already been shipped and could be arriving soon.

Article from Grub Street with a few interesting tidbits about this year's batch and Philly-area allocation - http://philadelphia.grubstreet.com/2013/02/pliny-the-younger-coming-soon-to-philadelphia.html

This was LAST YEAR's PtY calendar if you're trying to figure where it might pop up - http://oi47.tinypic.com/2dbjiue.jpg

The only known tapping so far for this year is the annual Monk's Russian River blowout/charity event which is set for March 11th (submitted recently to BA calendar).

My advice would be to stay on top of those blogs, e-mail lists, and social media. Good luck and enjoy!

cosmicevan likes this.
  2. yoshida

yoshida Aficionado (185) Pennsylvania Jun 7, 2006 Verified

3. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Champion (970) Pennsylvania Apr 4, 2009 Verified Subscriber

:rolleyes: not my thing.

4. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

A lot of bars just had a lot of new email accounts/followers/likes added to their mailing lists/twitter account/facebook page.

5. So what was this like last year? Did a sixtel last more than an hour? Were people lined up down the block before it was tapped?

6. depends on the bar. if they announced the tapping beforehand, expect it to be a shitshow. if they don't announce it, expect it to be laid back for the first 1/2 hour until word gets out.

if i remember correctly, though, didn't monks get more than a sixtel or something last year and it actually lasted through the night or something? i didn't go, so i don't know. but i seem to recall that.

capones event is always the most chaotic and line-y

7. SPRichard

SPRichard Advocate (510) New Jersey Apr 26, 2008

Monk's gets a half barrel. Everyone else gets a sixtel

Squidly likes this.
  8. I love the way the Drafting Room did it last year. Sent out a text on Sunday morning to members of their text club, unlabeled handle, nothing on the chalkboard...and of course, I was in Florida. Derp.

9. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (535) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008 Verified

At least one other place got a half last year, though I can't say how many others. And IIRC, Monk's has occasionally gotten two kegs, but only one is announced.

10. dborginis

dborginis Savant (335) Pennsylvania Jul 9, 2008 Verified

I wasn't sure if he meant this year. The article says this year only Monk's gets a half. Last year, it was not just sixtels for everyone else.

11. Blanco

ah I see.

12. So how long does a sixtel typically last? Is it a "get there within three hours" situation or more of "get there a half hour before they tap it?"

13. I would expect that a lot of places contribute proceeds so it will be ticketed beforehand. Otherwise, it is a mob scene,

14. Blanco

It's not unheard of for it to kick in an hour at a popular place. There are a few places where you might luck out and word doesn't get out, but with so many threads, posts, social media tracking this stuff it's hard.

15. Usually kicks around 45 minutes to an hour at the Hulmeville. It's worth trying once, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, especially in a crowded smoky bar at lunch.

Blanco likes this.
  16. How did you get into text club. Go there pretty often and never heard about it.

17. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

you are correct. $15 per thimble-full helped as well (yeah, yeah i know it's for charity but still).

18. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,205) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

Lauren's (thoreaulikeagirl) post sums it up pretty nicely.

Some places don't announce their tapping of younger at all, while some places only announce it to their mailing list customers. On the other hand, some places announce the tapping well in advance, and make a big production out of the event (lottery tickets, advance reservations, etc.).

The places that don't announce it at all, will someitmes have it on tap for several hours. Places that only announce it to their maling list customers, will likely have it on tap considerably less than that (as mailing list customers tend to tell their friends, who then tell their friends, etc.).

Bars that make a big production out of the event; I've heard and seen instances where the keg kicks in 30 minutes (this was a sixtel).

TDR actually sold advance tickets for younger a couple years back, which was interesting. One ticket per customer, but the effect was that if you had a ticket, you could stop by any time during the release day and drink your glass of younger. Of course the down side to that was that the event coincided with a DIPA event they were having, and a lot of customers were pissed off that they got their early, couldn't buy any younger, but then saw folks rolling in 3 or 4 hours after the event started, who were able to purchase younger.

It's a nice beer, no doubt, but I'm just not willing to jump through the necessary hoops to drink a single glass of younger in what will undoubtedly be an absolute madhouse setting (or shitshow, as Lauren stated).

RichardMNixon and corby112 like this.
  19. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Capone's this Saturday. Heck of a list

20. Kadonny

Kadonny Advocate (695) Pennsylvania Sep 5, 2007 Verified

Yeah, Capones will be a mob house on Saturday.........rightfully so.

21. cjoc83

cjoc83 Advocate (505) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010 Verified

Are you talking about TDR in Exton? Man, I live maybe 6 minutes from there, and I've been sleeping on that place. Apparently they had some crazy BA maple-syrup (or some other delicious ingredient) Victory at Sea recently. I need to start going there more.

22. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Savant (320) New York Dec 21, 2012 Verified

Going down to philly this weekend from LI hoping to get some pliny!

23. RRtransvestification

If anyone knows any places that might get it that aren't announcing you can shoot me a message, i'll owe you!

24. Blanco

Looks like at least one website is saying Local 44 got a half so I'm hoping the initial article was wrong in saying that there was only one (going to Monk's). Then again I read an article saying we were getting a whole lot more this year, and another quoting Origlio as saying we got 20% less.

b2611 likes this.
  25. Yeah. They had a solid barrel-aged event two weekends ago too, though most everything was bottle pours.

26. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (245) Maryland Jun 29, 2012 Verified

Blue Dog Chalfont - Sunday, March 10 starting at 11:00 am

According to their email - more details to follow

27. RRtransvestification

city tap house and bishop's collar this weekend

28. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,205) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

Went to their Wealth of Riches event this past year and have learned my lesson. I'll actually be in the area that morning, but there's no way I'd want to attend this event. I'm sure it will be very similar to the WoR day, with close to a hundred people in line at opening bell, and then absolute chaos at the bar once it opens (took over half an hour to get the first round of drinks, with CBS and KBS coming in thimble size glasses).

That's no knock on Blue Dog. They were well staffed, but that's what happens when you get that kind of crowd. I just don't want to be part of it, no matter what they're pouring on Sunday.

29. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (245) New York Mar 12, 2010

Pretty sure in the past Blue Dog has made this day a ticketed event.

30. slentz

slentz Savant (320) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

It will not be ticketed this time as far as I know.

31. I pretty know what the answer is, but are we expecting a mob scene at Capone's on Saturday?

32. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (245) New York Mar 12, 2010

You see the taplist? Absolutely.

33. ShanePB

ShanePB Champion (990) Pennsylvania Sep 6, 2010 Verified

Yes. I avoid it now, personally. In my opinion, Younger isn't worth waiting in a 3 hour line for.

34. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (620) California Oct 29, 2008

For future reference, every Capone's Saturday event with special stuff from RR, Hill Farmstead, Cigar City (at least if Hunas are involved)...basically, anything rare or special is a going to be a mob scene.

35. Just tapped at Teresa's.

Lurkerson likes this.
  36. good job.

ColForbinBC likes this.
  37. chcfan

This is why we can't have nice things.

38. shadowane

shadowane Savant (300) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2007 Verified

I love when people get all butthurt about people posting things here.

ericwo likes this.
  39. chcfan

God forbid a single keg go under the radar and have there not be 100 freaking beer geeks there. Some places don't even want the shit show and try to do it discreetly but not but nothing flies under the BA radar.

40. callmemickey

callmemickey Advocate (650) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2007 Verified

God forbid people post something that is already displayed for the whole world to see on Teresa's website.

warriorsoul likes this.