1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

yet another IPA critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dooleyra, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Make sure you add that honey after krausen has dropped. Save yourself some of the aromatics that will be scrubbed by boiling & a strong fermentation. Beyond that, looks like and IPA. That and I wish you guys had one for Walker and not that tool La Russa.

2. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i don't know if this comment still bothers people, but it looks like too much crystal malt to me. i'd drop down to 5% ._.

hops look great, very similar to what i do (though my last IPA sucked).

3. what made it suck?

4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

it's hard to say. we don't like the yeast we used, fermentation temperature wasn't well controlled, i think it had hop sludge remnants in it, didn't get the hops we wanted, overly complicated grain bill that probably made things worse, all sorts of failure. just a terrible beer.

edit: we've made simpler IPAs with similar hop schedules to yours and had them come out well though.

5. I would agree that (for my tastes) there is too much crystal malt. Of course, that is a matter of taste. I personally have all but stopped using crystal in my IPA's & APA's