1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yet another "Visiting SD" thread. Wife and kids edition

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jjheinrichs, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

... did some searching, didn't find exact answers so I'm-a-startin' a new one.

Heading to SD next week to do the Zoo/ Seaworld thing and I'm looking for lunch/ dinner places that satisfy the three criteria:

1. Good beers (for me)
    2. Good food - local/ foodie stuff (for my wife)
    3. Kid friendly - doesn't necessarily have to have a kids menu (for my kid)

Pulled these recommendations from a different thread. I think they satisfy #1 and #2, not sure about #3

4. Local Habit (Best brussel sprouts in SD. Also, a well curated tap list containing several beers you might not find anywhere else.)
    5. Tiger!Tiger! & Blind Lady. Both are awesome foodie joints with solid tap lists. Look for their in-house Automatic Brew.

Would also like to visit toronado (in hopes of getting a cable car). Would kids be okay, or is it too much of a bar?

I think I've ruled out Alpine, which makes me sad, but there doesn't seem to be enough family friendly things to do to justify the drive from the gaslamp quarter.

2. jjheinrichs

3. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Not sure where their specific policy is, but I've seen people bring their babies in there...I would give them a ring and check. Assuming kids are okay, just go for lunch, it's a very chill atmosphere in the afternoon.

4. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

Local Habit, T!T!, and BLAH are all pretty good for kids. As Xul says, Toro is pretty chill during lunch/afternoon, but I wouldn't consider it kid-friendly in the evening, especially in light of the other 3 choices. Lots of smoking on the back patio too.

BTW, your wife will probably appreciate T!T! and Local Habit - they're a little more foodie-oriented than the other 2.

5. Pizza Port OB is rather close to Sea World.

6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

For lunch (which is typically better for kids at a lot of the beer places) I will also suggest the Neighborhood. Also, Session's Public could make a good place for dinner. Raglan's Public House in Ocean beach could also be a good dinner place, especially if the weather is nice and you sit outside.

7. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Station Tavern is a great place for kids, has okay food, and good beer. It's also near Stone South Park.

nanobrew likes this.
  8. cucina urbana is a fantastic restaurant

9. drewone

drewone Advocate (740) California Sep 18, 2006

I have take my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6) to:
    Blah - only stopped in for a beer at night, other kids there, looked really mellow.
    Neighborhood - good foor fine with kids (went for early ish dinner), sat outside, everybody liked it.
    Alpine (only about a 30 min drive from downtown) good food, no problem with kids - the 2 times I've been was for a late lunch, by the time we left it was empty.
    Pizza Port's - all kid friendly for lunch or dinner.

Farther a field I think you could do churchill or o'briens (only been with out the kids), esp in the day
    Stone's outdoor garden is a great place for kids (but only if your going to North county), tad pricey though

Also been to numerous tasting rooms and found them all to be chill.

Have fun.

10. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

My votes (for you) are for Pizza Port OB and Blind Lady Alehouse. Pizza Port usually has a fantastic tap list. Food is nowhere near what someone calling themselves a foodie wants.

Blind Lady has a good tap list although they lean toward the lighter styles. Pizza is artisan. Both locations are fairly close to where you will be at. TigerTiger skips the typical pizza thing, similar taplist to Blind Lady. Both places are "foodie friendly" as well, with house made charcuterie, sausages, local produce, etc.

I don't consider Toronado kid friendly unless they are too young to move around in their stroller. Not sure kids are even allowed in there, so I wouldn't attempt it.

Enjoy your stay.

11. BLAH and Tiger*2 have similarly inspired tap lists, but there usually isn't much overlap between the two at any given point in time. I suspect that is by design.

I saw a few people drag their kids into Toronado when they did the Pliny tapping on the morning of Valentine's Day. Many of the local schools were out that week, so I guess some people had baby sitting duty. I don't think I'd take a kid there for general purposes, though - it's a bar, for crying out loud. :)

mrkrispy likes this.
  12. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Wouldn't it be Tiger^2? :)

13. OB Noodle House for happy hour.

I'm not a foodie so not sure of everyone else's feels on that but I like the food.

I may not be a foodie but I am a reubenadvocate and suggest a stop at Antonelli's Deli, won't regret/10

ehammond1 likes this.
  14. I have two boys (2 and 6) and have pretty much dragged them to as many beer places as I can. This might be obvious, but if you make it a point to have earlier dinners (which is typical with kids anyway) you are better off. I would even say that there really isn't a place you mentioned that isn't kid friendly if it's for lunch or early evening.

That being said, if you are going to the zoo (we have passes so we go all the time), my favorite stop is BLAH. Just love the place, and they even have kids books, paper and crayons on a book shelf to keep them occupied. It's set up communally so you don't feel bad if they want to wander around, more importantly, neither does anyone else.

I love Neighborhood and it's a great place to go if you're in the Gaslamp. Again, go on the early side and you're golden.

I've never taken my boys to Toronado, but legality aside, seems like it would be fine during the day. I've been in a couple times during the day and it's just cool people enjoying themselves.

And to beat a dead horse, any Pizza Port is nirvana for beer advocates with kids. I've never been to OB, but I'm at Carlsbad all the time and it's the best place in the world for lunch. Dinner gets crazy busy (understatement), but drop $5 in the quarter machine and problem solved.

15. One thing to definitely consider, the Zoo allows you to bring in your own food and beverage. Be somewhat discreet, but I've yet to find a better day (for a dad with young kids) than bringing in a couple solid beers and walking around the zoo with no agenda. Beautiful place, beautiful weather, awesome beer. Best Damn Beer Store has an awesome selection of beers, and they're downtown. Stock up and check out some animals.

Then go to BLAH for an early dinner :)

16. sstorck

sstorck Aficionado (120) California Jun 28, 2010

My wife and I and 4 kids aged 2, 4, 6, 8 love to head over to Local Habit. We have found that it is a great place to go to shortly after they open. There are often very few people shortly after opening, you do not need to worry about your kids breaking things as everything they use is pretty utilitarian (not that I let my kids break things, if you have kids you know that crap happens). They are low key, the food is excellent, the owners are awesome, and the beer list is great. They also locally source their food as much as possible. It is truly a great place to support, and they get involved in the community in a give back sense as well. If you are early the kids can sit next to the windows and people watch during the meal. It is a good experience.

Stone is great to bring kids too due to the large gardens. You can sit way back in the back and the kids can run around and have a great time and not bother anyone.

Pizza Port OB is a pizza place so they are a great place to bring kids. Bench seats, great beer, easy place to have kids.

My two cents coming from a person that is pretty careful with where I bring my kids and recognize that I might be more conservative than others in that.

17. FYI, Toronado doesn't have any Cable Car now.

18. jjheinrichs

I didn't really expect them to have it, but it's on their bottle list and a thread in Trading Help made it sound like bottles were sold randomly.

19. jjheinrichs

Thanks again for the tips! Looking forward to the trip and drinking in some of the local flavor.