1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You Californians sure like hops

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leedorham, Jan 23, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

With the recent split-up of the west coast top beer list into Pacific and Northwest I noticed some pretty obvious differences in styles that dominated, so I decided to count. Lookey here:

IPA/DIPA - Pacific 19, Northwest 7
    Stout/Porter - Pacific 17, Northwest 15
    AWA/Sour - Pacific 9, Northwest 14
    Barleywine/Old Ale - Pacific 3, Northwest 6
    Saison/Farmhouse - Pacific 0, Northwest 4
    Pilsner - Pacific 1, Northwest 0
    American Strong Ale - Pacific 1, Northwest 3
    Gruit (really?) - Pacific 0, Northwest 1

Also kind of interesting how a small number of breweries really show some muscle on both these lists.
    NWer likes this.
  2. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Californians like hoppy beers? Shocking...
  3. It's obviously because we brew and have access to the best IPA's here on the best coast.
  4. You'll do well with that one. Bravo.
    KWMiles and Errto like this.
  5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Someone has been lying to you :p
  6. West coast has IPA'S ?
  7. haha, I totally read Northeast.

OP why would you compare Pacific and PNW, I thought we were unified in our fight against East Coast IPAs.
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  8. WOOO we lead in Pilsners..Yaayy...wooo.... ????o_O
    2beerdogs likes this.
  9. ImJ2x

I fell for it. But I'm a terd. A California terd- the terdiest kind.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  10. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

It's just a shame that we DON'T have access to Hopslam, Double Trouble, Myrcenary, Abrasive, Heady, Dreadnaught... With that said though, what would be the fun in trading if I could get these all the time?
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  11. ImJ2x

Now I'm irretrievably confused. Must drink...
  12. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Oskar Blues, Sixpoint, and the Alchemist apparently didn't get the memo. :p
  13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

In the Midwest we get everything. Trading is not necessary.
    Blueribbon666 and YogiBeer like this.
  14. mwar

mwar Savant (340) Kentucky Jun 15, 2012

Most over rated style of beer. Give me an American Brown Ale any day!
    Danielbt and teal like this.
  15. Before I derail the thread, it was a joke.
    Now I'll go home after work and drink the Heady and Double Simcoes I have in my fridge.

Although, if any threads deserve to be derailed, it's ones like this.
    cjoc83 likes this.
  16. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Deviant Dale's is awesome! I'm yet to try Oskar Blues' DIPA. The Alchemist makes the benchmark, and Sixpoint Resin is fantastic. Its worth seeking out.
  17. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i do without the fun of shipping stuff, but i suppose you have a point
  18. But a brown ale won't massage your toes or calm your mood as rapidly ;). I think we west coasters have a hop addiction.
    AmitC and mwar like this.
  19. ImJ2x

I can't speak to most of those beers, as the Eastside brewers refuse to send their beer out here. (Kinda sissy, really.) But I spent Xmas with my fam in CO, and tried all the local IPAs. Myrcenary is good, not great. The only IPA I tried out there that MIGHT compete with CA IPAs is Dry Dock DIPA. Good stuff.
  20. leedorham

I think you're doing it wrong.
    oregone, fmccormi and cjoc83 like this.
  21. I find this somewhat amusing (and sad) since the PNW has Engelberg Pils and Heater Allen. Reality Czech is quite nice, though. (I'm assuming that's the one on the CA list.)
    vurt likes this.
  22. Rofl. As ive mentioned before in many other posts there is an extra relaxation chemical in hops. Whenever i drink a fresher ipa where the essential oils are still in tact, i almost instantly feel it.
  23. SeaOfShells

I will respectfully disagree. I love that stuff. And while we're on the subject Odell IPA is awesome also. In fact, ODELL IS AWESOME.
  24. I think this is probably the most telling statement you found here. There are so many incredible breweries doing incredible things with beer. Incredible! (It's incredible how often I use that word) Give a Californian something from Stone or Firestone-Walker and we'll tell you how it's the best example of the style (OK - so might some GABF/WBC/BJCP judges if we're talking about F-W, but I digress). I'm not saying that those breweries aren't incredible (really? again?), it's just that they have the added bonus of brand recognition.

My point is this: we are all subject to bias, and I believe that said bias leads to a greater "love" of IPAs from Californians... especially from a select handful of popular breweries. Californians do love hops, and we also know that people expect us to love hops. So when a Cali brewer from Santa Rosa puts out an incredible (somebody please buy me a thesaurus) IPA, we can't help but proclaim it to be the model example of the style.
  25. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

A brown ale hits a different sort of spot than an IPA. With that note, I'm fresh out of IPAs over here.
  26. SeaOfShells

I'll gladly help polish those off.
  27. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Ugh I know, us poor, poor RIGHT coasters...we only have Heady, 60-75-90-120 Minute, Burton Baton, Surly, Gubna, Deviant Dale's, Double Simcoe, Bengali Tiger, Resin, Hop Wallop, Exit 16, Flower Power...
    IamMe90 likes this.
  28. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

As an SD hophead, I'll say that Sixpoint Resin and Bengali Tiger are two of my favorite east-of-Alpine, CA beers.
    patkorn likes this.
  29. I think it's important to keep in mind that the OP didn't say anything about California (or the Northwest) brewing better hoppy beers... just that we seem to enjoy them more (with rankings used to validate the claim). There are a ton of great IPAs from the East Coast, Midwest and the South, and I don't think anybody here is arguing that there isn't. So, let's just all agree that Heady Topper is great, so is Hopslam and Bengali Tiger and Maharaja and Pliny the Elder and so on and let's get down to the real issue here: What's wrong with Californians' taste buds such that we crave hoppy beers? Too much Mexican food?
  30. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

****take another sip of my glass of Durty******* Yup, yup you California guys sure are lucky to have those fine hoppy beers out there on the best coast, I sure am jealous, yup.
    MinorThreat likes this.
  31. SeaOfShells

I've never really thought of Oskar Blue's as an IPA powerhouse.
    ChanChan likes this.
  32. leedorham

I think perhaps some of you are reading this as west coast/east coast. This is more about the change in character when the Pacific and Northwest lists were created.
    libbey, fmccormi, NWer and 1 other person like this.
  33. ImJ2x

Well, as you praise Odell, let me defend Oskar (a little). G'knight is my 2nd fav CO beer, after Dry Dock Double. #3 is probably Myrcenary. With Avery's base IPA #4. (I despise Maharaja.)
    But this isn't a thread about CO beer- I apologize. :(
  34. ImJ2x

Yeah, sorry- you're right.
    So, back on point, as a diehard SoCal hop whore, I must say that I'm a huge fan of 2 OR brewers: Deschutes and Caldera.
  35. I think what's what's really notable about this is that EVERYBODY likes stouts.
  36. SeaOfShells

Yeah, this got out of hand.

It's clear that California does produce more IPAs than our NW counterparts.
  37. tozerm

tozerm Savant (365) Washington Jul 1, 2005

We just don't let most of our IPA's leave the NW :) ... as someone who runs a WA brewery, the idea of shipping beer to California.. or even Oregon... is sooo far off my radar it isn't even funny. We won't be spending any more cash to increase production capacity just to sell more wholesale beer 1,000 miles away. We don't believe it is prudent to be shipping beer out of state if there is even 1 single bar or consumer in Washington that cannot access our brews relatively easily. Besides, it is much more profitable for us to sell our beer in our Taproom by the pint or the growler than it is to sell it at distributor wholesale prices.
    ehammond1, fmccormi, drtth and 2 others like this.
  38. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Neither did avery or odell.
    StubFaceJoe likes this.
  39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Dad, you're drunk again. Go home.
  40. And guess where all those hops come from! NW!