1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You Californians sure like hops

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leedorham, Jan 23, 2013.

1. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

The take I got from this thread is that we in the NW are gravitating toward sours, old ales, saisons more than they are in California. Not meant as a pissing contest. Just an observation. Rest of the country can relax. No slight was intended.

daysinthewake likes this.
  2. Pacific? Pacific, you say? More like Hoptopia, bitches!

3. True. Just too bad we harness their potential better.

sbuysse and 1424IpA like this.
  4. It's the weather

5. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

6. phildo7pt9

I'm drinking Enjoy By right now! Muy Excellente! But Ruination is my go to beer. It's consistently excellent

7. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

I really don't care for the DFH IPA's. Too malty and sweet. But that's why everyone has their favorite flavor profile.

sbuysse likes this.
  8. hwy395

hwy395 Aficionado (240) California Jan 20, 2012

I just recently received 6 Heady from John Kimmich at the Alchemist and 12 Surly Abrasive from Merwin Liquors in MN, 8 Gandhi Bot from my man Bobby in CT and I'm in San Jose, CA..100 miles from RR so I'd have to say the world is getting smaller. beer is good, period..we don't need a rap war here to try and figure out which coast is best.
    Heady, HF, Lawson's...come on can you beat it ? maybe with RR, Alpine, Kern..etc. Why try to beat it, just enjoy it all !

StubFaceJoe and HuskyinPDX like this.
  9. San Diego. Where 7-11's have Stone IPA and Ballast Point in the cooler.

10. I belong in Portland. My palate belongs in SO Cal.

11. Union Jack, Extra Torpedo, Racer 5. Someone's gotta enjoy these CA brews year round. Might as well be me.

1424IpA and hwy395 like this.
  12. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Both of these beers are 2nd class IPAs. Yuck.

Mister_Joshy likes this.
  13. We Californians are pretty fond of the family, Cannabaceae. No doubt about that. Not to be apart of any kind of separatist or elitist kind of thinking but I do like the "best coast" references above. I could go with "left coast" as well (being left handed, I believe that left and best are interchangeable, lol).

14. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

What a strange comparison...

Those "best of" lists show what beers from the region are most popular overall - not what the people in that region prefer in terms of style. I'm no scientist, but those lists suggest to me that the Pacific region just brews a lot of delicious hoppy beers...

Am I missing something?

15. hwy395

There is no dislike button, so count this as mine

Mister_Joshy likes this.
  16. hwy395

Wasn't Racer X amazing !?!?

ChanChan likes this.
  17. And if we are getting into doubles then Pliny and Double Jack have to be mentioned too. I just wonder if I am missing out on BCBS and KBS living over here. Trading seems like such a pain though...

18. phildo7pt9

Racer X is pretty awesome

ChanChan likes this.
  19. phildo7pt9

I just got both of those for some easily procurable Pliny the Elder.

20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I think perhaps some people are still surprised that the Northwest is actually part of the United States.

21. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I know I'm the minority saying this, but I can't stand when a brewery butchers their beer with excessive hops. Hop flavor is good but some beers are just ridiculous.

22. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

And what do find is the best glassware to use when using your IPA this way?:D

23. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Maybe my title was a bit strong. The reason I counted was because I noticed how very different the lists were when separated and I wanted to quantify my hunch. That's all.

Another thing I noticed was how the prior consolidated list was California dominated. If you look at both you'll notice the Pacific list is much stronger in terms of weighted score. The reason for that could be argued to death I'm sure.

I honestly think it's all the rain in Seattle driving the NW scores down. Stare at mountain > Rain comes, mountain gone > give beer sub-par review > slit wrists.

yamar68 likes this.
  24. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

This is like Biggie vs. Tupac!!! Except with a bunch of beer nerds.

25. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Right.

Not so much Tupac vs. Biggie as Tupac vs. King Buzzo.

[EDIT: Apologies to patkorn, who ref'd. Tupac and Biggie just above me, dammit.]

Last time I visited CA (where I'm from and where the rest of my family remains), I couldn't believe how many great IPAs were available in the dinky grocery store near my childhood home. If I hadn't been doing so much driving during that visit I probably would've gone on a delicious bender.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  26. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Tupac vs King Buzzo would be quite interesting in a battle of wits.

27. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Wow!! Three breweries from three different states!! I absolutely love Heady Topper but as long as Kern River Keeps brewing Citra I will never need another Heady again!!

28. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

The thing is that those lists are brand new, by combining the PNW with California A lot of breweries never got the mention, give it a year and see what happens. I'll wager it levels out pretty even.

29. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Not sure I follow. These ratings aren't new. Are you suggesting people will rate with the beer's overall position on the list in mind?

30. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Yep, that is obviously what is going on in other regions. Before the split it was almost impossible for the PNW to make any changes in the regional list. Now it's not, which IMO encourages people to make contributions where before it made no difference.

31. And Cafe Racer was even better (on draft at Churchill's during SDBW). Lucky to have a chance to have it.

phildo7pt9 likes this.
  32. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

This geography baffles me

33. ROFL I currently view Ithaca as Hoptopia, Flower Power is unreal.

It's not just our Cali neighbours. Canucks are diggin' the hops too. Tree out of Kelowna has some great hops and quite a few Ontario ones too. Just about any brewery up here worth a look is making IPA's worth a taste.

34. I wish I could agree, but in KS and MO we can't get Oskar Blues from our neighbors, while FL does. Can't some just fall off the truck on the way there?

35. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Yep. One of the few we don't get. Soon enough I am sure. Its two states away and they are expanding.

36. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

<--- this Californian sure does!!:)

37. We also make the #1 rated Czech Pilsner.

beerme411 likes this.
  38. As much as I love hops...I will gladly take a Consecration over Pliny (younger or elder). Anyday.

This post also reveals my bias towards my favorite brewery in the U.S.

beerme411 likes this.
  39. Except for an ocean ;)