1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. cincysig

cincysig Savant (330) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

if you've scouted out the best beer stores in the area and you're on a first name basis with at least one employee

if you ask your local shop person if there is anything special in the back and they come back with something

if you buy specific beers for the express purpose of trading it to someone else in another region of the country where it's not available

if you hold back (at least) one bottle of an annual batch release to compare it to the next year's batch (like 2012 vs 2013)

if you will travel a great distance for the annual release of a specific beer or to attend a big beer festival

...what else, brothers and sisters???
  2. If you buy special cleaning solution to clean your glasses rather than just use dish detergent like normal people would. :)
    KVNBGRY, tgchief, kneary13 and 13 others like this.
  3. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

when you've converted the 4th bedroom of your home into a 500 bottle temp controlled cellar and tasting bar
  4. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

When you've seen this thread 20 times.
    ZEB89, BBAVUSO21, joedodger and 86 others like this.
  5. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

...when your friends hesitate and ask questions about the beer you pour for them.
  6. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

This one easily takes the cake.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If someone really does this I would love to see pics.
  8. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

The first two examples apply to myself. Sadly
  9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

When people at parties are well aware that you are unwilling to engage in small-talk but will gladly discuss beer for hours.
  10. cincysig

cincysig Savant (330) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

I'm a n00b. Thanks for suffering me.
  11. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

When you don't agree with other beer snobs.
  12. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Just messing with you.
    Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker likes this.
  13. Siggy125

[​IMG]
  14. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

When you say that your fed up with chasing these limited release beers and 30 seconds later when another one is announced, you're out hunting.
  15. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

When you get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside if you find that special something on the shelf and gladly shell out way too much money for it. Typically something most of the population wouldn't even recognize.
  16. When you're out and the restaurant only has five beers...you can guess which ones. So you order a bottle of wine and no matter how good it is, with every sip you take you wish you had that beer that would go perfectly with your dinner......Why did we go there?!
  17. Is that Beer Geek or Beer Hoarder?
    Horbar and Siggy125 like this.
  18. That is pretty awesome
    Dmad34, MarshMan71, gir02021 and 8 others like this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

MOAR!
    gir02021 and Siggy125 like this.
  20. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Can we see more pics? This is too cool.
  21. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

when your fiancee calls you while you're out of town asking if there's any beers she can open and you pause before almost saying 'no,' despite the fact that you have about 15 cases in the cellar.
  22. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Once you are married, you can say "NO"! I have, but learned to always always make sure there is a case of something she likes if the keg runs out while I am not there.
    JimmyW, njhopspop, darky and 2 others like this.
  23. Siggy125

[​IMG][​IMG]
  24. When your employees start asking "have you ever had/heard of" but then stop themselves mid sentence because they know the answer is undoubtably yes

When your wife (who for all intensive purposes isn't a beer drinker) gets excited about local rare beers being released because she knows you will trade them for one of the few beers she likes.

You don't remember what happened in a tv show but you can remember what beer each character was drinking
  25. I think you just gave me a great idea to do with our unborn daughters room once her and our 2 year old son move out... Is it too early to start the countdown??? ha-ha.
    mverity, kneary13, SadMachine and 5 others like this.
  26. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

As much as I hate the term beer geek (the term makes me think overweight white dudes circle-jerking about how much they hate BMC and how shitty their 2-week old Pliny was), I'll share one of my own experiences...

Pouring a glass of orange juice and holding the glass at an angle then slowy raising it to vertical to get a nice head. Didn't realize what I was doing until I had finished pouring.
    Tonello, BILF, YogiBeer and 32 others like this.
  27. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

When all of your friends ask you advice on what to get or what something tastes like
  28. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

When you go to a restaurant and ask the server what's on tap and after they rattle off 20 BMC taps with nothing of quality say, "just bring me a water."
  29. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

When you are travelling to a big city for a conference, meeting, bachelor party, etc. and your first thought is to make a list of breweries to visit and find the best bottle shops near your hotel.
    mverity, YogiBeer, rynosf23 and 20 others like this.
  30. When you get legitimately excited about a novelty "IPA Glass..." no, not in that way...
    jchoffman and Shagator like this.
  31. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

This is amazing! My eyes are getting hard-ons!
  32. Siggy125

never too early. Let me know if you need help with design, specs, dos & don't, etc... If I'm not too old by then:eek:
    MisterGrizz likes this.
  33. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

When you have staple beers you buy in bulk so you can gift them to people who ask you about craft beer.
    JxExM, luwak and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  34. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

When you host a 6-person tasting in Tampa and one guy brings a supplication that is still half-full (half-empty?) when everyone leaves.
    luwak likes this.
  35. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

When you've driven 8+ hours in a day for a beer releases multiple times to multiple different breweries.
    1424IpA and Stoutfan23DJ like this.
  36. Siggy125

mverity, SenorHops and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  37. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

When you look at this pic and say I've had all of those.
  38. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

When your boyfriend always asks you which type of glass he should use for certain types of beer.

Also, I converted him to glasses. He drank a brew that he normally leaves in the bottle from a glass last night and admitted it was better.
    luwak likes this.
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

When you start referring to anything in your house (shelving/fridge/storage space) as the "cellar" and live in a house/apartment with no basement.

You know the names of all the beer distributors in your area (and possibly when they make their weekly deliveries to your favorite bottle shop) and have memorized what breweries they carry.

Your bottle shop manager/owner is on your Christmas giving list.

You have more cabinets filled with beer glassware than plates/bowls/china/etc...

You stare at a grocery store beer section with 200+ selections of 6-packs when shopping for food and say "meh, they've got nothing I like. Let's stop by the beer store!". Your girlfriend/wife can't believe or comprehend this.

Build a walk-in fridge in your home using instructions you found on the internet exclusively for beer.