1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (300) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

When you quit smoking cigs with the only reason being you know your beer will taste THAT much better

2. Walk out basement... so it's not really a "basement". I wish it was a completely underground basement. The wall we build the closet against is a wall that is underground and I insulated the walls and ceiling to the closet and it hold a few degrees cooler than the rest of the basement but still gets too warm in the summer for ideal cellaring but better than nothing I guess.

3. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

When one of the main things you're looking for while house shopping is that the house has a basement and a big enough spare for a cellar/homebrew area.

4. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Savant (255) North Carolina Jan 19, 2013

when you went from debt free to a maxed out credit card in 2 months

Mister_Joshy likes this.
  5. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Do you need another child or maybe a first? I cook, I clean, and I'm even an accountant so I can do your taxes for free.

6. I think some of you are just "alcoholics"

Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker and Dan114 like this.
  7. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I'm genuinely sorry that anything makes that imagine appear in your head

8. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

What's your address again?:)

fullmetal1381 and Siggy125 like this.
  9. I'm guessing...Heaven?

10. ...when CBS is no longer a major television network.

11. [​IMG]

12. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

pics?
    care for a roommate?

GrumpyOldTroll and jglowe77 like this.
  13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

When you reflexively raise your glass to your nose to take a deep whiff, only to remember you're out for brunch and you're sniffing your orange juice.

jgluck, JxExM, luwak and 7 others like this.
  14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

...when the liquor store owner gives you his wish list.

15. wibeerman

wibeerman Zealot (75) Wisconsin Aug 2, 2012

when you drink what you have in your fridge just to make room for more

16. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

...when you find yourself in a conversation about the different "spectrums" of IPA's.

DelMontiac, Falcone and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

I knew I had "issues" when I was at the bar in Greenbush shortly after they opened and I identified the bomber that Scott (owner/brewer) was sampling back in the production area with his crew as FW Double Jack. When I confirmed this with the bartender, he told me I was a beer geek. I was just pumped cuz I figured they were planning on brewing their first DIPA (at the time).

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  18. When you criticize a newbie for asking an innocent question that has been asked before.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  19. Its a constant battle haha

GottaTickemAll likes this.
  20. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Honestly, if you're reading this thread, or on this site on a regular basis you are absolutely a beer geek.

mverity, JxExM, JrGtr and 5 others like this.
  21. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

respect

22. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Well, it was a bit of an exaggeration. But you know the type... you see them at any festival and they're the first in line at all of the release day events. Not bad people, but definitely not my type.

23. BJasny

BJasny Savant (375) Texas Jul 10, 2011

When you go to the beer store "just to see what they have" even though you already know, and walk out with 6 bottles total and about $30 poorer

Sam_Frank, Prh27, T-RO and 1 other person like this.
  24. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (615) California Jan 23, 2013

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the slick work you did in the construction or in the collection. Bravo, sir!

Siggy125 likes this.
  25. I wish it was only $30 poorer.

26. When you spend numerous minutes staring at the cellar trying to figure which beer to drink for the evening.

NWer, dcs1548, slim2043 and 1 other person like this.
  27. When you have to lie to your significant other on how much beer you bought.

28. when your wife suggests disneyworld for this year's family trip and you counter with waterbury, vermont.

29. When you choose a restaurant by the tap list, not the food.

30. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

when you thank a fellow BA for sharing their secret shop w/ stock of your fav beer by searching a 30 mile radius for his fav beer.... and when a shop owner calls back 3 days later and says "oh, I found it in this super-obscure tiny shop 15 miles away, you reply "I already found it there too".

luwak likes this.
  31. truth. what it comes down to with my friends usually is "hey im hungry lets get something to eat here, yeah but lets see what they have on tap first" if it sucks, on to the next spot :D

reizorc likes this.
  32. When your craft beer store knows you so well that they call you to let know of a new arrival, and that they're setting some aside for you so you don't miss out :rolleyes:

33. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

When you plan vacation destinations based on brewery visits. And you use more vacation on beer related days than anything else. Hellllllooooooo Dark Lord Day, Black Tuesday, Belgium, and Deutschland!

regularjohn likes this.
  34. I do this shit every time

reizorc and docnose like this.
  35. When one of the fields on your beer collection spreadsheet is "Location"

JxExM, Pacioli1445 and darky like this.
  36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I have a full subterranian basement. no beer in it. why?! well, it's funky, and because of the heating system, it's the warmest f'ing place in the house! Definitely NOT beer friendly.
    I'm always envious of people when they use the term "cellar" on this site... knowing full well that theirs is likely a refrigerator or something else modest... because I don't even have that!
    My fam wouldn't put up w/ a second fridge, and the main fridge is barely large enough to hold our food. :mad:

to the person above who mentioned the walk in refrigerator, thanks a bunch for planting THAT seed in my head... argh..... one day I'll have a cool storage spot... one day.

37. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Or you don't even need a location field because you know what temp you cellar every beer you have at, so you go to that temp cellar ;)

38. When you walk into your local liquor store and go straight back into the refrigerator (with permission) to grab some of the "special" stuff the owner doesn't display.

39. When you go to a restaurant that you KNOW will have a great beer selection in the first place.

Rand_ale_Thor and scottpeeling like this.
  40. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Savant (335) Georgia Oct 9, 2012

When you mark breweries on Google Earth just in case you happen to travel to that area

wramshaw, fredmugs and burgundysmoke like this.