1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. So tempted to set up a trade just to get your address.

2. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (705) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

When you're in china and travel hours from Beijing to Shanghai searching for the 6 breweries they have in the middle of run down dark allies. Yah I've been doing that this month

JxExM and loafinaround like this.
  3. When you think "what the hell am I going to do with only one Armand 4 Seasons box?"

When you get nervous because you're down to only one case of a favorite beer.

When you see a beer collection for sale and immediately check for a flight to the city it's in.

4. i.e. Mikkeller Cat Poop Coffee Beer.

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

My girlfriend asked me about the Firestone Walker XVI I just got in a trade and her eyes started rolling back into her head when I pulled out the info sheet from inside the box and started listing off the barrel-aged beers in the blend. lol.

6. When it takes you one day to move all the beer you own to a place that you are moving into.
    When all your shirts and sweaters are beer related.
    When your fridge is full of beer, and you have nothing but beer glassware in the cabinet.

jgluck, luwak and RockAZ like this.
  7. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

When you have to run out for one thing and you hit all the bottle shops in your area as well.

8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

...when you look to your cellar to find that perfect birthday gift for someone.

9. T-RO

T-RO Savant (310) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

when your wife opens the door to the water pump closet in the basement and says "I found your stash"

when a second decent beer store opens within 5 miles of your fave and you end up spending double each week because both owners are great folks.

When you're on the phone with your bosses boss and put him on hold when a co-worker comes in with a beer question.

darky likes this.
  10. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (350) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

when you start talking about beer in front of your friends and they all roll their eyes, again.

or when no one you know has ever heard of any of the beers in your basement.

DelMontiac and adkieffer like this.
  11. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

When you start drinking IPAs only at breweries and out of growlers from breweries because the 1-2 week old cans and bottles just don't do it for you anymore... You need fresh hops!

When your nights are spent formulating recipes and your weekends are spent crafting them into delicious beer

When your smartphone doubles as a bottle opener

DelMontiac likes this.
  12. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

When you create a spreadsheet to track the beers you own... (I do this)o_O

budsandsuds8, fredmugs, JxExM and 5 others like this.
  13. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

We all do

LeRose, JxExM, leezy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

When you spend time in the beer aisle, beer store whathaveya like you used to spend time in the nearly extinct record stores of old...or being labeled the "beer whisperer" by the waiter @ a recent gathering of friends @ a birthday dinner. Despite HIS label, this guy was no slouch @ describing the beers on hand to the uninitiated in our dinner party.

Danmullens1 likes this.
  15. when you almost start arguing with the BMC distributer stocking the shelves b/c he really wants you to try their 'new and improved' brew.

darky likes this.
  16. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

When you walk into a shop and an employee brings out something special from the back without having to ask if there's something new.

RStang13, yeti123 and DelMontiac like this.
  17. When every part of your house has boxes upon boxes of unopened beer, beer corks, beer labels, beer coasters, empty beer bottles, and packing materials for beer trades.

When you spend more money on beer than anything else, even though you already have a shit ton of beer.

When you say you need to cut back on beer purchases, but make a 1000 exceptions and watch your collection grow exponentially.

When you need to move your 30+ boxes into a professional beer cellar so that you don't end up on an episode of Hoarders (and so that the beer is kept at the proper temperature, of course).

When you spend shit tons of time reading and posting on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Untappd, and Beeradvocate almost exclusively about beer.

When you watch yourself get fatter and fatter and fatter because of all the beer you drink, and all the food that you eat to wash down said beer.

When most conversations with your significant other mention beer at least once per conversation.

HoustonZ33, DaveONan and DelMontiac like this.
  18. How about you have Named Glassware for each style oh wait Belgium already does that :)
    In my case your bar is so full of Breweriana that you can't fit your Glass on it and use another table.

19. mcomben

mcomben Aficionado (230) Michigan Dec 2, 2008

^This
    My dad's birthday was on Wednesday and we're getting together this weekend for dinner. He's the type that buys whatever he needs when he needs it so its hard to buy gifts for him. Opened up the cellar, pulled out a black note and bcbs. He's yet to have either, but loves barrel aged stouts so I'm really excited to share these with him.

20. mcomben

mcomben Aficionado (230) Michigan Dec 2, 2008

Additionally, when you are heading over to another BA's house you make sure to bring a few bottles with. Not necessarily special brews or to drink together that night, but because you wanted to make sure he has the opportunity to try it or the you're worried you wont be able to tackle it before the hops fade.

I guess it's kind of like a BA version of handshake or hug.

21. Perfect!

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  22. When you can correctly spell Hunahpu's

When you wait 6+ hours in line to buy beer

23. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I'm not gay.... but, will you marry me? o_O

Siggy125 likes this.
  24. Special cleaning solution exists for beer glasses?! Where can I get some? And here I've been using dish detergent this whole time. lol And also, what are the benefits of using special cleaning solution as opposed to normal dish detergent?

25. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Can I be your friend?

Siggy125 likes this.
  26. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

T
    Hot damn! Great idea for one of my dad's extra rooms

Thank you for also giving me a picture i can show to my wife so she can see i don't have a beer problem yet!

Kerrie and Siggy125 like this.
  27. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

...when you post on this thread.

dachshunddude86 and DelMontiac like this.
  28. When there are beer books and catalogs in the bathroom.

DelMontiac likes this.
  29. When you have more breweries/bars than actual human friends on facebook and twitter.

30. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

...when your legs go numb while reading Beer Advocate magazine on the crapper.

31. DrGonzoDDS

DrGonzoDDS Savant (275) Illinois Mar 7, 2010

you're a dick. That is coming from a place of pure jealously. also, can I move in?

Siggy125 likes this.
  32. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

Keep it up buddy, 14 months for me. It gets better!

JohnQ and DelMontiac like this.
  33. I've never actually cried out of sheer happiness, thank you.

Siggy125 likes this.
  34. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

when the beer store hires you.

loafinaround likes this.
  35. cbros

cbros Savant (295) North Carolina Aug 20, 2006

When you break the stem on your favorite snifter and instead of throwing it away you simply have it rest in one of your numerous pint glasses.

36. When you start brewing your own.

37. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

shit, I thought everyone did this. prevents me from wasting $20/bottle!

darky and Kerrie like this.
  38. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

When you convert a bedroom into the temp controlled cellar and tasting bar.... and you live in a one-bedroom apartment.

luwak, bifrost17, RStang13 and 3 others like this.
  39. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

When you plan your vacation around what breweries you want to visit in that particular area

luwak likes this.
  40. vidguy17

vidguy17 Aficionado (205) Iowa Feb 2, 2013

When you won't order a beer until after making a dinner selection because you want a good pairing

jrman1386 likes this.