1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Depends on the soap you use. I have no problem with head retention in my glassware. I'm presuming you mean I should hand wash each glass individually with baking soda?

2. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

To each their own. I hand wash mine with the "beer sponge".... just an ordinary blue sponge, that LOML knows not to use on the dishes or pans. I use normal dish soap. My main reason for hand washing it to keep the nice emblems on the glasses intact. Something about bombarding them with 120 degree water and hard dishwasher detergent, for 2 hours gives me the heebie jeebies. o_O

chanokokoro and FLBeerGuy like this.
  3. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

True, but surprisingly, theyre still pretty drinkable.

4. Siggy125

good call. I'm gonna be hosting a few bottle shares this Spring & Summer. Stay tuned.

5. lets see his bedroom pics please

6. vikinghick

vikinghick Zealot (95) California Feb 6, 2012

oh my god that is awesome. Well done, sir!

...when you look at these pictures and start fantasizing about your own beer celler/tasting room conversion project.

djaeon and Siggy125 like this.
  7. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Obligatory /endthread

8. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

When all of your band t-shirts from your younger days have been replaced by beer t-shirts.

Sunn, shutyourface, MikeWard and 4 others like this.
  9. When you are late posting at the end of a thread, only because you are too busy deciphering the beer codes. I'm sure these Mesopotamia, clay tablets are trying to tell me something, but so far only freshness is confirmed… ;)

10. That's simply automatic. I do this, even locally, just to be sure...

11. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I'm pretty sure your cellar is worth more than I make in a year.

*sigh*

Siggy125 likes this.
  12. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

When you see a beer on the shelf by a brewery you've never heard of and immediately check it for twist-off caps and dubious origin i.e. BMC pedigree.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  13. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I realized I was one last night when a friend pulled an Olde School out of the back my fridge and started to drink from the bottle. I gasped. Not because he was drinking my last one, but because he didn't pour it in a glass. I quickly remedied that. He and a few others gave me a weird look. Haha.

Gunch52 likes this.
  14. When your the beer buyer at a store but tell people about other stores that have hoarded some good beer.

When only 20 cases of BA Bigfoot come to Colorado and you can't get your hands on any in ruins your day/week.

When you hide the beers you just purchased from your gf not because she might drink them, but she will get mad with how much you spent.

15. darky

When you take into serious consideration the order in which you drink different beers and/or eat food.

Soloveitchik likes this.
  16. When you see a box of Samoas girl scout cookies, the "moas" part of it jumps out at you, and you start thinking about MoaS.

luwak and Siggy125 like this.
  17. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (420) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

When you rather have a good beer than a good meal

18. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Or dessert.

19. arcook11

arcook11 Aficionado (195) Missouri Nov 27, 2010

When you are at your favorite beer bar with your non-beer geek buddy who asks, "Would I like Stone Arrogant Bastard?" And you reply, "Yes, you ordered that last time we were here (which was over a year ago) and thought it tasty."

His look of concern when he realizes you are correct sums up how everyone in your life feels about your hobby.

20. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

i actually use baking soda IN the dishwasher....

creepinjeeper likes this.
  21. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (455) Florida Sep 10, 2012

Or wedding ring ;)

MikeWard likes this.
  22. In the midst of a busy Sunday afternoon you're preoccupied with the reality of having only one Sucks left in the beer fridge.

23. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

When you don't 'like' this comment because you're bitter that he thought of it before you.

RStang13 and CircusBoy like this.
  24. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Just a heads up, when an inspector calls you in the next couple days stating he needs to do a new assessment your property for tax purposes, ignore him. He's not an inspector, its just me trying to move into your converted bedroom. To you sir, impressive. Cheers.

Siggy125 likes this.
  25. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

...when you get random phone calls from friends in the middle of the day because they're at the shop/bar and want to know your thoughts on a potential purchase...

alamode and loafinaround like this.
  26. I live 2000 miles away. I'll be there.

27. Shit -1
    Pants - 0

MikeWard and fullmetal1381 like this.
  28. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

When a line containing two or more beer geeks automatically turns into a bottle share - and you're one of them (of course).

29. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

When you have read page 1-6 of this thread and of all of these responses you relate to more than 75% of said posts.

luwak, MikeWard, jgluck and 2 others like this.
  30. jborg

jborg Savant (250) New York Dec 13, 2009

When your son is looking at colleges, and you advise him to go to one based on the brewery nearby.

luwak, creepinjeeper and Kerrie like this.
  31. reizorc

reizorc Savant (310) Pennsylvania Oct 1, 2008

Spreadsheet?? How about the Access Application you built to keep track of your beer collection.

luwak likes this.
  32. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (475) California Jul 31, 2010

When you have your wife facetime you the selections in a bottle shop states away so you can have her get everything you cant get at home and smuggle in her suitcase to fly back with.

When you know youre going to drive somewhere more than an hour away and always bring a cooler just in case

jgluck, dachshunddude86 and darky like this.
  33. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (265) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

when somebody serves beer in the wrong glass, at the wrong temp or starts raving about some fauve craft beer
    and you start to say what you really think, but the filter ( the one that keeps you from harshly criticizing children)
    kicks in and you soften your comments as not to discourage them from further exploring craft beer.

When you vow not to hoard IPA & DIPAs and you find a stack of Hopslam cases and only buy a six pack.

luwak likes this.
  34. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

You know you're a beer geek when you plan a meal around a beer you bought, rather than the other way around.

Btw... Deli and cheese works best, IMO.

jgluck likes this.
  35. Went to a bar while traveling. Saw miller lite, colors lite, bud lite, other in bev and yueng ling on tap. Asked what bottles were there and shE spouted out a bunch of macros. I said, " I'll have a diet coke". Drank it and went somewhere else.

36. darky

When you start getting waaaaay too serious about glassware.

37. guilty azzcharged

docnose and arfenhouse like this.
  38. When you pour Cantillon in a cake pan to make internet funnies.

39. Siggy125

Bourbon & water is my go-to in this case

40. Beerlover

Beerlover Savant (410) Minnesota Mar 15, 2012

when you call 22 liquor stores in a 15 mile radius to find a beer only released once a year.

luwak, docnose and arfenhouse like this.