1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. WynnO

WynnO Savant (490) Florida Oct 24, 2003

Harking back to the Seinfeld episode---when a friend, family, or acquaintance visits, starts chatting about beer, and your first thought is, "Are they sponge worthy?"

The door to my room of beer is always closed when guests arrive. IF and ONLY IF they pass muster do I consider retrieving a beer from the room. If they love what I open, I then consider allowing them entry.
    luwak, DelMontiac and dachshunddude86 like this.
  2. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

When a shelf breaks in your cabinet...under the weight of bottles you're storing.
  3. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Aficionado (185) Georgia Oct 27, 2008

When you see this post and agree with it 100%
  4. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

The first two examples apply to myself. Happily.
  5. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

...when your family vacation consists of 1 theme park visit, 1 cave tour, 2 brewery tours, and 7 liquor store stops.
  6. When you have guests over and you ask them what "style" of beer they would like.
    ASUBeer, leezy, luwak and 5 others like this.
  7. When every gift you receive is either beer or glassware
    Skunkdrool likes this.
  8. When you walk into the restroom at work and the citrus-grapefruity air fresheners that used to make you gag actually remind you of a nice IPA and you smile.

Furthermore, when the next time you walk into said bathroom and someone is taking a shit, the combination of the funk and the air freshener make you smile again because it reminds you of the sour wild ale you had last night.

Kinda fucked up, when you stop and think about it.
    LittleGus likes this.
  9. Imho this isn't geeky. I would do the same thing for any other beverage. "A dram of scotch from which region? Bourbon or rye? Partial to Pinot noir, Cab, or Riesling? Sparking or flat water? Bah...belabored the point I did.
    luwak and FlakyBiscuit like this.
  10. IMHO, then you are geeky for all beverages..........which is cool with me:)
    luwak, RStang13, Moose90 and 3 others like this.
  11. when you drive seven hours instead of flying for one hour because you can bring more beer back in your car than a on a plane

when you have taken a half day at work to make sure you have a bar seat for a 4:00 PM tapping
    jgluck, DelMontiac, docnose and 2 others like this.
  12. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

You are a beer geek when:
    When you look at the cover of the most recent BA magazine & all you see are kegs of beer
    luwak, FlakyBiscuit, jgluck and 5 others like this.
  13. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

When you get a traffic ticket while going out to the bottle shop to purchase beers for someone you are trading with and don't really give a damn (happened last night)
    DelMontiac and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. TitusD84

TitusD84 Aficionado (115) Illinois Nov 27, 2011

When a buddy asks you to invite him to your next "beer thing". You tell him that you are excited about a new ipa single hopped with mosaic hops because its in the simcoe family and has been described as "citra on steroids" and instantly realize you lost him when he says yeah I am not that into it I just like to try new things.
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

happened last month!:oops:
  16. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

You just gave me something to do at work!
  17. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

When you can describe the flavor profile of beers you haven't had yet.

I read too many reviews...
  18. When you find yourself studying the beer choices at an upcoming craft beer festival and become disappointed because you've tried most of them.
    leezy likes this.
  19. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

When you look at this picture and think, "brewers playing dress up."

[​IMG]
    char005 and creepinjeeper like this.
  20. When you know the Wegmans shelf schematic much better than the guy stocking the shelves. And he has to ask you 'do you know where this goes'?
  21. Favorite post ever! :)
    lhteacher likes this.
  22. When you swirl water in a glass just as if you were swirling a beer. Then you realize that its water and you become dissapointed!:)
    Loganyoung, jgluck and burgundysmoke like this.
  23. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

You're obviously not a member of Water Advocate. That 2007 Aquafina is drinking nice, by the way.
  24. Sometimes I'll have a Budweiser just to refresh my memory how bad it tastes.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. pshhhhhhh
    ive got a poland spring vertical going back to '94!
  26. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

94 'twas a good year.
    burgundysmoke likes this.
  27. Equal opportunity geek!
  28. There's kegs in that photo?
    docnose likes this.
  29. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Savant (355) Florida Sep 6, 2011

When you crack a Westy 12 at a get-together and have to explain its value thoroughly to every person who asks, "What the hell are you drinking?" ...
  30. Is it possible to somehow like every comment without manually clicking like on all of them?
    MikeWard likes this.
  31. docnose

docnose Aficionado (155) Alabama Feb 7, 2013

I made an excel spreadsheet that loads my "Wants" from this site and loads the online beer lists from my local bars and stores (that have them anyway) and then creates a list of which of my wants are available where...
    leezy, kneary13 and darky like this.
  32. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Whoa..
  33. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

this is beer, not world of war craft! better a beer geek than a beer snob. i think of a geek as a scrawny, nerdy type whose very technical and specific about the types of beer and the ingredients therein.
  34. docnose

docnose Aficionado (155) Alabama Feb 7, 2013

The exciting free-time activities of an IT professional.
  35. when every time you see an empty box, you wonder how many bottles would fit in it and if its good for shipping
  36. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Irondequoit guy here... been in Tampa since '98.

Wegmans has a nice beer selection now?
  37. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

And you'll be sharing this file when?
  38. When you pour anything into a glass like you would a beer. Not because you think it will be a nice pour...just force of habit.
    darky, MikeWard and kona650 like this.
  39. When you get a job at your favorite bottle shop just for for the discount.
    DelMontiac likes this.
  40. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

That's hardcore.