1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

You know you're a beer geek...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cincysig, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I feel like you would have no reason to live if your house caught on fire.
    Kerrie likes this.
  2. When your girlfriend is asleep next to you, but you turn on your laptop and get on here to look up suggestions for your next purchase. (Which is my situation currently)
    BeerZomB13 likes this.
  3. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

I do that all the time!!!!
    coddles likes this.
  4. When you use paid vacation time off from work to take a road trip to just visit brewery's and specialty stores in multiple states

When you buy a case of a certain seasonal brew to start a 3 to 5 year vertical down the road!

When you have every kind of glassware for every style of beer that exists.

When you start clearing space in your beer fridge for the variety of cheeses that you plan to stock and pair with your favorite beers.

When a beer store owner asks you if you were looking for a job and eventually suggested that they could use somebody as knowledgeable as you to work at their store after your first visit and conversation with them.
    JrGtr, jonandhisflask and darky like this.
  5. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

When you see anyone look confused in the beer section, You drop everything and make sure they make the right choice......everytime.

When one of your favorite breweries is giving samples at the grocery store and the conversation leads to stuff that's not out for another 6 mos and, you know as much as they do about it - You score 2 free brewery tour passes.
    darky, RStang13 and DelMontiac like this.
  6. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (400) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

By the way, there is a line outside your house, 50 people looking to move in. I'm #17.
    Siggy125 likes this.
  7. MikeWard

This is part of the reason my daughter went to Susquehanna U in Selinsgrove, PA (Selin's Grove brewpub :)
  8. MikeWard

When your wife says "are you on that Beer Advocate site again? You were on it yesterday", and she doesn't realize you were on it that morning, over lunchtime, and a hour before.

When you exchange monthly beer lists with your mates in England, and everyone is happy about it.

When you obsessively compile lists of the beers you want to pick up at your local bottle shop, that are a) available in your state b) styles you like c) available in 12oz bottles for the 20% discount on mix and match d) have an above average rating from BA e) seperate lists for each season, then take said lists to botle shop and walk out with a dozen bombers not on the list because they're too good to pass up.

By the way, great thread, more laughs than any other thread I've seen
    JrGtr likes this.
  9. when you plan vacations around breweries/brewpubs..including a trip to Germany
  10. leezy

leezy Aficionado (175) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

No kidding, I kinda want the file/formula too, although not many stores around me post their beer list online except the random FB and Twitter posts about Surly/Lift Bridge new releases
    Kerrie likes this.
  11. youve had everything at a bar, and they 90% sell rotating drafts. Every time you walk in.
    coddles and Kerrie like this.
  12. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

You use proper glassware for your morning shower beer.
    BrewddhistDrunk likes this.
  13. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

When you have to bite your tongue while overhearing the uneducated sales staff at my local grocery's beer department fumbling to answer a customer's questions about different beer varieties for fear of A: sounding like an impolite know-it-all, and B: insulting the well-meaning sales person.
  14. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

When you seriously reconsider drinking more than one or two varieties of beer in one evening because you don't want to have to clean the 3 or more appropriate glasses the beers will require.

#beergeekproblems
  15. When the UPS truck get stuck in the snow by a raging snow storm just to deliver you a trade box... and you help dig the UPS truck out of the snow!(this just happened today in rural Illinios) I felt bad for the UPS guy, but it was kind of funny!

Also, when you know your Fed Ex and UPS delivery guys on a first name basis!
    DHS1029, YogiBeer and docnose like this.
  16. When you make your significant other FaceTime you through an entire beer store because you can't be there and her butchery of Belgian beer names just isn't cutting it.
  17. When you check BA more than you do Facebook.

When you go to the beer store with your wife and she opts to go sit in the car after 15 minutes of you browsing (witch is good because you don't want her to know how much you're spending)

When your wife is happy for you to pay for expensive
    Beer , just to speed up the process .
    BeerZomB13 likes this.
  18. When you start transitioning beer terms to your everyday life as inferences or references to things completely unrelated to beer ;)!
    nchophead and Hoptimus-Prime like this.
  19. bostonlogga

bostonlogga Zealot (85) Washington Jan 13, 2013

When you're at the bottle shop buying a beer for the cellar and you check the bottle neck for any short pours and you pull from a couple back because its probly had the least exposure to light :/
    BeerZomB13 likes this.
  20. when you go to your favorite liquor store and the staff are mad you didnt bring your almost 2 year old because youre a regular and hes the cutest
    JrGtr and darky like this.
  21. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Guilty
  22. tweezer159

tweezer159 Savant (290) Alabama May 2, 2008

Pull from the back-I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
  23. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

When you haven't done any of these things and you enjoy what you enjoy and don't care what other people like. To each his own.
  24. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

When your main fridge dies and you toss the food rather than take all those IPAs out of the beer fridge.
  25. Bang34

Bang34 Savant (300) California Feb 6, 2003

When you are sitting at the bar and another patron asks the bartender what beer they should try. The the bartender turns to you to tell them the answer.
    WalkerSmith likes this.
  26. Will you adopt me? Or at least put me in your will?
    Siggy125 likes this.
  27. By liking that last statement is that a yes?
    reefer_bob likes this.
  28. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (600) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

Or use them to Boil Brats in .... Yes This has happened twice.
    JrGtr likes this.
  29. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

When the first letter you type in the URL field auto-fills to a beer related website no matter what letter you type in
    ChuckHardslab, mudbug and Kerrie like this.
  30. Judgie

Judgie Savant (320) Indiana Nov 21, 2012

After moving the clock forward one hour, you are not pissed at losing 1 hour of sleep but losing 1 hour of beer tasting time.
  31. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Yeah. Come on down. I need help depleting inventory to make room for more stuff!
  32. Wohoo a California dad!
    Siggy125 likes this.
  33. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

When you're guiding others on the functionality of this website.
  34. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

When your kids listen to the Arctic Monkees and you call them the Arctic Devils by accident...more than once.
    danieelol and Dmad34 like this.
  35. When you camp out overnight at a limited release and wake up in a strangers tent...
    T12oy, SFACRKnight, riemster and 2 others like this.
  36. Catracho5

Catracho5 Savant (375) California Aug 10, 2013

First time I considered myself a beer geek is when someone offered me a beer in the bottle, I looked at it and thought, "I can't drink this straight from the bottle." It was a humbling experience, I don't always need a glass to drink my beer.
    PaulD, layinbrix, upsbeernut and 2 others like this.
  37. When you're on this website about three times a day
    PaulD, coddles, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  38. No, all day.
  39. When you ask your best bud "hey, what should I get us today?" and his response is "Up to you. I trust your judgement"
  40. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (345) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I can't claim that, but on the 3 computers I use regularly typing a single 'b' in the URL bar brings up this site.