1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Young people and pubs

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by jazzyjeff13, Aug 8, 2012.

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19160041

Saw this story the other day - apparently younger drinkers are being priced out of pubs due to the sharp rises we've seen in the last few years. It's certainly true that taxation on beer has gone up steeply.

Does anyone find that price is a factor in how much they visit the pub?

2. Depends on what they are drinking, real ale is usually cheaper than crap lager, well that's what I find.

3. Yeah, that could well be true - maybe more youngsters will discover good beer? Though perhaps not if they're not actually at the pub....

4. It's quite a big factor in whether or not I have a drink sometimes. If i'm a bit strapped i'll just have a coke, or have to opt for the cheaper cask options e.g. Brains or Marstons.

What really puts me off discovering new cask beers though is how expensive beer festivals are. I really would like Camra to be able to serve beer that is usually not well cellared and not in a very nice atmosphere (and in one case a plastic pint glass) to be cheaper than the most expensive pint I can find in a pub (Cardiff pub at least). For example at the Cardiff beer festival, with entry fee plus "student bonus" (less than the price of half a pint), we ended up paying £10 for 4 half pints of beer. It would be nice to have the option not to have to pay for a glass and programme. I know it's a festival tradition, and I do love collecting different glasses, but as students we don't have that much money to splurge on this, especially when it can be so hit and miss trying new beers.

5. Doesn't going to Weatherspoons solve all their problems? :D

Zimbo likes this.
  6. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I know I haven't gone to World of Beer because of their prices, even though I know they have a lot of cool beer I haven't tried. 5 bucks a beer is not something I'm gonna pay on a regular basis.
    In the end I usually throw my own cool beer parties with other friends who are into craft brews.
    But there is a local brewery I found that sells 12oz for 2.50 if your a member of AHA or it's happy hour. I can deal with that no problem, plus growler fills are nice.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

That's where I take my children. Last week my eldest soon had his first pint in a pub there.

Zimbo likes this.
  8. The thread's about the UK mate.

9. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

LOL That's what I get for using the new posts button instead of browsing categories.
    Regardless, over here across the pond high prices are indeed a prevalent reason younger beer drinkers stick with BMC.

Hoppsbabo likes this.
  10. BMC is a lot more expensive than decent cask here!
    Young people often have high disposable incomes. Because of ridiculous high house prices they live with their parents so have quite low outgoings. That's why they spend a fortune at weekends getting wasted.

11. And new local Spoons is likely where I'll be taking the family for lunch on Saturday. Apparently my wife just loves Wotherspoons, or so she said the other day. Who am I to argue?;)

12. The figures quoted in the press release show that most other age groups showed their weekly attendance dropped by 25-50%. Next CAMRA press release to declare that bears shit in the woods.

Interestingly it does show that weekly attendance in the 65+ age bracket has actually increased. Rumours that this is due to a chain of pubs fabled for long opening hours, cheap food, cheaper beer and staff happy to take the money off piss-stinking coffin-dodgers as long as they don't kick off cannot yet be substantiated.

Ruds likes this.
  13. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

My wife does, too. Where else can you get three meals, two soft drinks, two pints and a double whisky and still get change from 20 quid?

Zimbo likes this.
  14. The 1970's?

Hoppsbabo and Zimbo like this.
  15. Aha, that reminds me off the slight problem of the Marble in Manchester,
    If you ordered that lot there, never mind change from a twenty, you wouldn't have enough
    To pay for it with a fifty.

16. The Pen and Wig in Cardiff - 2 meals for 6.45 plus other meals come with a free drink. Pint of marstons £1.95 or if you go during their beer festival, any cask ale is £2.25. Breakfast is good there too, 2 sausage and egg baps and 2 cups of tea/coffee/hot chocolate, and you still get change from a fiver.

I don't work there I promise...