1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Younger in CO?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by buffs9, Jan 31, 2013.

1. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Haven't seen info on when/where all the pain in the ass PtY events were going to be. Anyone know of anything, specifically curious about FoCo.
  2. I suggest calling Falling Rock a couple times a day to ask
    chango, gueuzer, hopfacebrew and 2 others like this.
  3. But more serious answer, have not heard anything definite. I believe the kegs being distributed can be picked up starting next week, so with a few days of travel time across the mountains, getting them to the bars, etc, I would expect the weekend of the 16-17th would be the first one.

Last year Falling Rock had a couple kegs, Freshcraft got one, and Backcountry in Boulder got one. Not sure who else.
  4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

Vine St. Pub got one, too (or was that 2 years ago?). But they tapped it in March I think, after stout month.
    In FoCo, I suspect Mayor would get a keg
  5. buffs9

Last year Choice City and the Mayor had it, but times weren't very convenient for people w/ jobs. I only scored at the Backcountry event for Danny/his family.
  6. Falling Rock had the first tapping Feb 12 last year. I'd say the 16th-17th is a good estimate this year.
  7. Liquids and Solids did two Saturday tappings last year, IIRC
  8. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Crossing my fingers that it's going to be tapped on the 23rd or 24th!
  9. There should be a handful of places tapping it and they tend to spread it out over a week or two, you've got a good chance of there being one that weekend.
    GraniteSkunk likes this.
  10. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Thanks. I'd like to give it a try, if nothing else. I don't know that I've ever talked to someone that's tried it fresh, let alone tried it myself.
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

12. There's a good chance Falling Rock will have it that same weekend (23rd/24th). Supposedly, they are picking up theirs this week.
  13. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'm hoping for an announcement from the Cheeky Monk and/or (fingers crossed...) maybe the Royal Hilltop. Last year they had potentially the most chill of the tappings I've been to.
    gklover1 likes this.
  14. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Savant (285) Colorado Dec 21, 2005

I don't foresee the mayor getting a keg this year.

I'm 99% sure Choice City will get one, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other big accounts in town ended up with one too.
  15. buffs9

Why do you say that about the Mayor? They hinted about tapping it the other day (hinted it was coming).
  16. Royal Hilltop? Now that would be awesome. Nice and quiet and close to home.
    gklover1 likes this.
  17. Domingo

It's a shot in the dark, but they share the same owner and their non-Belgian beers as of late have rivaled and potentially even outsold the ones at the Cheeky Monk. More and more I've seen their small kegs kick in a single night. It wouldn't totally shock me if they got one, although it is somewhat unlikely.
  18. Well, I'll keep my hopes up regardless. Maybe they read these threads and will accommodate :rolleyes:
  19. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Savant (285) Colorado Dec 21, 2005

The "We have not heard if we will have it" post?

I haven't seen a single Russian River beer on since their last Younger tapping, let alone the limited releases from RR that have been all over the rest of town the rest of the year...
  20. buffs9

no, the "I see that we have 830 people who will know if/when we tap Pliny the Younger first!!"
    - referring to # of followers on Twitter.

They've had Blind Pig several times in the last year.
  21. HoldenDurden

HoldenDurden Savant (260) Florida Nov 27, 2011

22. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (450) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Cheeky Monk got two kegs. They'll be tapped on the 25th and the 28th at 6:30 PM.

Talked to the beer buyer at Royal Hilltop last year (who has since been replaced) and was told the few times they've had Elder on tap, it's taken too long to sell. Obviously Younger is a different animal and things have changed up there since then, but at the time, it didn't sound very promising for getting a keg to Hilltop.
  23. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I knew the Mayor would come through!
  24. Domingo

More wishful thinking on my part, although I've been really, really surprised with the stuff they've gotten in there lately, and how quickly much of it seems to disappear.
    I like the staggered tappings at the Cheeky Monk, though. That Thursday is perfect for my wife and I, so that's the plan for now!
    FishPondManager likes this.
  25. Is this stuff worth it? I was semi disappointed in Elder, but that was more because of how hyped it is, not because it's a bad beer.
  26. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

elder is excellent beer. younger is excellent beer. there are, these days, many excellent ipas and dipas, so the pliny series is no longer as unique as it once may have been, though no doubt influential.

if, for whatever reason, reading reviews of excellent beers makes you expect the unrealistic, thats on you. beer, as with everything, can only taste so good. if your favorite ipa is already a "100" on your palate, what do you expect to taste even better?

if you like to drink excellent beer and dont expect anything to score 101 on a 100 point scale, all of the pty tappings that i have been to have been hype free affairs that were much more relaxed that the scenes i see from other limited releases in the east and midwest, or even in ca recently w the citra madness....
    schlegelmeister likes this.
  27. Did they post which Cheeky Monk was going to be doing the tapping?
  28. not on me at all, when you read reviews saying how amazing the beer is then I expect it to at least come close there are tons of IPA's better than Elder that I've had
  29. drumrboy22

Yeah, Royal Hilltop has stepped up there game over the past 6-9 months. I like that they're rotating more kegs too. It's about time. I'm sure they've got plenty of pull with the Cheeky Monk locations. It's good to see them spread the love to the Hilltop.
  30. drumrboy22

The Denver location's getting the Younger kegs.
    DenverBeerDrinker likes this.
  31. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

It does seem to me like more places are getting PtY this year, which would suggest each tapping may be less of a mad house. But it would be cool and, I think, good for the beer community if the popularity and desire for PtY outpaced Russian River's expanded production and distribution in such a short period of time. The press and reception of the Westvleteren XII packs reaching so far outside the beer nerd circles demonstrated that we can't really predict what might happen. Pliny the Younger is getting to that level.

I would expect Falling Rock's to be more mad house than others, for sure. And a lot of people will complain about how crowded it was, or how the service sucked, etc. If you want a specific experience, do research to find out the places that will carry it, and I'm sure you'll be able to find the experience you're looking for.

I've come to treat these releases more as a celebration of the beer community, an experience with friends, and making new ones in the scene than about how universally exalted any particular beer is. I don't set myself up to be disappointed - that's the thing that's not worth it.
  32. This x 1000. Homemade Liquids and Solids was my favorite pty tapping last year.
  33. Domingo

I wonder how long it'll be before PtY becomes old news.
    In fact, I'm going to declare it to be old news right now. I think it's time for Mangosteen Pliny the Younger aged in former Louis XIII casks and bottle conditioned with a combination of Brett and native Argentinian wild lager yeast.
  34. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I'd do a collab with Sam Calgione. Pliny the Younger with saffron, dragonfruit, and polar bear farts.
    woodchopper and harperman69 like this.
  35. No no no, it's gotta be a ice distilled version done with HotD. Then even more frat daddies will come when they hear its 40% ABV.
  36. I think they should barrel age it and let it go completely flat. They can name it "Elevated Younger" or "Younger Wood" and charge obscene amounts of money for it.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  37. coreymcafee

Elevated Younger Report. Gotta throw that last word in there if we're talking about obscene amounts of money.
  38. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Every homebrewer knows that polar bear farts don't play well in the bouquet with saffron aroma. Such an amateur.
  39. coreymcafee

You're thinking of Spanish saffron. Only a rookie would use Spanish over Persian.
    drumrboy22 likes this.
  40. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

i'll take a dfh collab infused w/ kentucky tobaccy spit, but only if vinnie agrees to let sam rename it "121"