1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Young's Double Chocolate Stout in nitro cans discontinued?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chuft, Jan 5, 2013.

1. chuft

chuft Disciple (70) Florida Apr 8, 2011

Lately I have noticed that Young's Double Chocolate Stout, in a nitro can, has become impossible to find around here, while at the same time a new, small bottle 4-pack has appeared (not nitrogenated). I have been told the nitro can has been discontinued. Is this true?

I was pleased to see Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro suddenly appear in six packs, but sadly, it is in bottles and the nitrogenation is very lame compared to a nitro can like Young's or Guinness Draught in a can.
  2. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Perhaps this is the final nail in the coffin for the Youngs brand which was sucked up and destroyed by Well's. I only see the cans around of the Youngs Dbl Chocolate(usually sitting next to Well's Banana Bread & Boddington's) and I think it's a shadow of it's former self...Well's only seemed interested in continuing the most popular and heralded of the Youngs stuff. Back when, before Well's bought them I would buy Young's product over Samuel Smith's all day everyday, not trashing Sam as I do like 'em especially Taddy Porter. Hands down the one brewer I miss most of all.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  3. Their US importer, Belukus, still lists the cans as available:
    http://www.belukus.net/product.asp?p=you_dobchoc
    Drop them an email - in such a case, it always possible that just be your local distributor dropped the package.
  4. chuft

5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Are you pouring the Left Hand Nitro as they recommend? I thought the Nitro was quite fine in it.... and the beer is infinitely better than Youngs, which is pretty lousy, IMO. They could discontinue that beer in general and I would be fine with that.
  6. chuft

Thanks. Strange that all the stores here are saying it's no longer available, but now they have these 330ml bottles that I have never seen before (only saw the 500ml before, which were quite pricey).

As for the Left Hand nitro - yes, I pour it from like two feet in the air trying to get a decent head on it, but it never comes close to the nitrogenation I can easily get from a Guinness can or (in the past) Young's.
  7. I agree that Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is not as ‘gassy’ as Young’s Double Chocolate Stout on Nitro (either can or bottle).

I also agree with cubbyswans: the Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is much better than the Young’s beer. I would much prefer to drink a very tasty Left Hand with a bit less gas (Nitro mix) than a Young’s Double Chocolate Stout.

Cheers!
  8. chuft

It is hard to find fault with Left Hand Milk Stout. It's very tasty. I just wish the Nitro version was more....nitrogenated.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'd grab the 4 packs. Nitro doesn't do any beer justice other than making the mouthfeel smooth and creamy.
  10. I got a perfect nitro pour with the Lefthand nitro bottles everytime last I bought a sixer a few weeks back.
  11. chuft

I did try the bottled Young's and didn't like it as much, it wasn't as sweet and creamy as the nitro can version.
  12. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

im drinking one right now

canned on 4/20/12
  13. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (260) California Aug 2, 2012

This was actually the first beer I enjoyed out of the can. I agree, can over bottle any day. IMO, it's amazing on tap.
  14. chuft

as far as I can tell it was discontinued this summer, so I'm not surprised you have one from April. I had no problem getting them in March.