1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your Beerfest Strategy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 23, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Do you have a plan or strategy when you go to a beerfest? I kind of like to go to the breweries I know and like 1st. I check my tent map (if there is one) and hit them first thing. Chances are you'll find many that have brews which you will like. Hopefully one or more that you haven't tried yet but turn out to your liking. Maybe 1/2 way through take a break and have something to eat.Then I like to explore. I'll go around to breweries I haven't tried or ones that I have but have something different that looks interesting. It's fun to try new stuff. I then like to finish the fest off with the winners (my choices) of the day and enjoy them for another round! How about you?!!!

P.S. If you just go to drink a lot that's fine too. Like to hear your comments also!

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I don't really have a plan, just sort of wander. Line length is a big factor to me as some breweries always have massive lines (DFH, Ommegang) and I've had most of their beers before. I like to go for newbies, but I really just try to sample as much as possible. Towards the end I like to re-sample anything that stood out

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  3. socon67

socon67 Advocate (660) New York Jun 18, 2010

Above all I have fun. If I know what breweries and beer is being poured I may try to hit a couple I really want to try first so I don't miss out. After that I take my time, have water and food to balance out the beer, and look to find styles I'd like, and things I haven't tried.

4. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

If I want to drink something that I know about before hand, I'll be able to stay focused and complete that goal first. Once I've tried what I wanted, I just wander.

5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Same here. And if the ones I'm really hunting for have massive lines (I'm mainly thinking of GABF here), I'm willing to skip them unless it's something absolutely crazy.
    Some of the best items I've had at fests have been as a result of me bypassing large lines and just trying random stuff.

19etz55 likes this.
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I make sure to eat plenty before I get there.

The rest writes itself.

7. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I don't eat anything before I arrive, drink as many high ABV beers as I can and get drunk in a matter of 30 minutes. That is when I look for beer nerds with all my bros and start fights. I love beer festivals bro!

NWer, Hotmetal1, ryhayes and 2 others like this.
  8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'll take a few minutes to study the map for breweries I've been wanting to sample and for beers that sound interesting. If it's a smaller fest, I'll wander after trying all the beers from the list that stand out to me. But if it's a larger one, I like to hit all the tables that interest me in the one area and then move on to the next. THis way I don't miss anything good.

I tend not to eat at fests. I make sure to have a good meal beforehand though. I will admit, I attended a large outdoor fest where people were walking around with pretzel necklaces and I was so jealous that I didn't have one to munch on. I'm making my own when I go to it this year.

9. Have fun with a pretzel necklace.

Dirt, Squidly, ESeab and 3 others like this.
  10. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

Pretzel Necklaces ? Get out of here ! It's almost genius. Lol

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. mecummins

I know! Hands free, easily assessable snacks. And so much better than selling out $$ for lukewarm, god-only- knows- what-went-in- it fest food.

19etz55 likes this.
  12. Pretzel necklaces are kind of an amateur move. They generally go hand in hand with the people that show up wearing matching Team XYZ shirts they had made up for the fest. Eat beforehand, drink water throughout, and pace yourself. A few salty bites of pretzel aren't going to make any difference in the scheme of things.

My strategy as always been to make a list of the top 5-10 beers I want to try most and then knock those out early. The rest of the fest is about finding some variety early and then sticking to what you like later on. It's not uncommon for me to drink the same beer multiple times at a fest depending on the line situation. Thinking back to Russian River at EBF and I drank probably close to a pint each of both Plinys as the line was nonexistent for the second half of the fest.

13. Sixam2

Hey ! Great blog you write 'down the hatch' !
    Very very well written.. Are you in Marketing ? If not, you should be...

14. mecummins

Caleb and Higy like this.
  15. mecummins

Yep, that me. Not in marketing. I'm actually a writer who makes a living running an office for some CPAs. Writing the blog is my outlet (especially now.)

I have a fan. :cool: You pretty much just made my day.

19etz55 likes this.
  16. Sixam2

Hey ! I'm an English Major, wanna be writer, home brewer, who sells Cranes as a side job.. Lol
    Glad I made your day.. I'll continue to read your blog...

19etz55 and mecummins like this.
  17. Remain upright, friendly, pleasant, and preferably with my pants on :p

WassailWilly and 19etz55 like this.
  18. I usually have an idea of what beers I want to try that I have yet to try, so I go to those first. Then the favourites, and then some final beers that I've heard of and I am slightly interested in trying.

The strategy can change a little depending on who I am with. I had a chance to get to the GABF last year, and my buddy liked good beer but had never really tried a lot. I asked him "what styles do you like?" And then I knew of a few breweries that had both what he and I would like, so we hit them up.

But yes, ending the day with your pants on always helps.

19etz55 likes this.
  19. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Always map it out and hit the wants asap. After that I wander, make food and water breaks before a final sprint that ends with me dumping over tables, missing my ride home and eating a whole pizza in the cab ride home.

19etz55 likes this.
  20. 19etz55

I like your thinking.

21. 19etz55

I can relate.

22. 19etz55

I like that strategy.

23. No plan. It's a beer festival, it's supposed to be an enjoyable experience. If you start making plans and over thinking things then you'll just end up disappointing yourself i.e. "I should have....if I had just..." etc. Hell my first beer festival was in Singapore and being a six foot plus white guy was challenged to various beer bonging competitions. Was it stupid? Sure. Was it fun? Hell yes, we played for beer tokens!

Don't even know why some breweries brought beer funnels.......

24. I usually volunteer to pour at our beerfests. That usually means I get a free shirt and tasting glass and I load up on whichever brewery I'm pouring for!

kemoarps, WassailWilly and mecummins like this.
  25. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Every fest I go to has at least the breweries attending listed beforehand, and most have the beers to be served. I generally list the things I want to try the most, and try to hit those early on. Once I get through the A-list, I'll move to the next that I want to try, and so on.

19etz55 likes this.
  26. Not sure, ask Woody.

27. 19etz55

Nice!

28. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I've only been to one and my strategy was to start at one end and finish at the other.

WoodburyMN likes this.
  29. Strangely i have never been to one. I need to change this stat!

mecummins and 19etz55 like this.
  30. Beer fest strategy: hit Short's, rinse, repeat.

EnronCFO and bierenutz like this.
  31. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Savant (350) Georgia Oct 21, 2004

I usually try to find the beers I haven't had first. I like to try them with a clean palate and less of a buzz. Then I start to go after the stuff that I have had before and typically know that I like.

19etz55 likes this.
  32. I peruse the list of breweries attending and search out those I haven't tried and/or those pouring something special. If the event is token/pay per taste a pro tip is to get half pours instead of a full glass/mug-you will almost always get more than a half pour;). At unlimited events do half pours for at least the first half of the event unless the sampling glass/mug is really small. Four hours of sampling will wreck most BA's. Keep hydrated with water. Have a plan on getting home after tasting-public transit is your friend or better yet events like Booneville that offer camping is the way to go.

33. drink everything in sight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dogzbone likes this.
  34. First run thru I get a glass or two I am interested in and seek out whatever freebies that may be available.
    After that I focus on the beers I havent had before and the true standouts that maybe available
    From there on all bets are off .. As long as my pants stay on anyways !!!
    There is one particular fest I always volunteer to pour at . Still another I skip totally and a third is just an all out PARTAY !!

35. 19etz55

Sounds smart.

36. 1. Hydrate three days prior by drinking 2 gallons of high quality H2O per day.
    2. Building a base the morning of (biscuits n gravy tends to help)
    3. Zantac
    4. 1:1 ratio during festival day
    5. Know whats available and have a game plan

37. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Best strategy for MN beerfests is to make sure one of your buddies is always in the Surly line.

Bildo and NWer like this.
  38. Find out if you can bring bottles in. If so, bring interesting ticks that others may want to try. Make a list of must try beers beforehand, ranking them in order of importance (to you). When you arrive, find out if they are all available immediately or whether some will be tapped at later times. Take note of these and check in, periodically. Hang out with a large group of friends/acquaintances and coordinate with them about which beers each person should get, so everyone in the group can try more beers than they would be able to individually. Those beers that are particularly amazing, get a whole taster to yourself. Continually socialize to add more people to your tasting group. Get faded and have a good time. Hopefully, you have the next day to recover.:)

39. That's pretty comprehensive advice. I particularly like the biscuits 'n gravy part! I agree that hydration is important. That being said, I have never attended a beerfest :(. When I do, I think I'll heed your advice.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  40. I make sure my Pliny teeshirt is clean and my neckbeard is presentable. I then let mom and dad know I will be leaving the basement for several hours in case they want to get their freak on. After that I just go with the flow.