1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your best surprise/accidental pairing?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Providence, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Last night I was drinking a Jack's Abby Smoke and Dagger when my wife came home from picking up some take out. Small falafel joint run by a Syrian couple around the corner from us has amazing Middle-Eastern grub. Instead of getting pita chips and humus along with the rest of the bounty we opted for pita chips and Baba Ghanouj. Holy hell! The Baba Ghanouj and the Smoke and Dagger worked unbelievably well together. An accidental pairing that was sublime.

What was your best accidental pairing?

2. Providence likes this.
  3. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

Went to a local pub in Austin and just picked what I was in the mood for on the tap list and menu, not considering pairing. I ended up with Real Ale Devil's Backbone (Tripel) and Sea Salt & Vinegar wings. Each bite of the wings begged me to take a sip of my beer and vice versa. A delicious vicious cycle.

Providence likes this.
  4. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

During a local beer event at my favorite local watering hole (Firkin, baby!), I found myself with a New Belgium Tart Lychee in one hand and in the other a bit of goat cheese wrapped in deli-sliced smoked salmon (my favorite appetizer there normally). I don't know why the two worked so well together, but I was so amazed I actually paused right at the bar. Good times...

Providence likes this.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Raw oysters and a Tilquin Gueze... it was as if my palate just exploded. (in a good way).

Providence likes this.