1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your better half's first craft beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AceMaster, Feb 5, 2013.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

I got home the other day to find that my girl had bought a 4 pack of founders cerise, ive been trying to get her into really big beers and she doesnt like em but the she likes the fruit beers. Anyone else have a better half that is trying to get into craft beer because thats what you like.
  2. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Savant (370) Hawaii Jul 28, 2011

Don't remember her first purchase, probably 90 minute, but now she brings home dinner and Cantillon :cool:
    johncosta60, bunique686 and JxExM like this.
  3. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Backwoods bastard. I had 3 1/2 of them.

Getting your SO into big expensive beers wont get you 3 1/2 BBs.;)
  4. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

Bells oarsmen ale was her first. Followed soon by NB Coffee Chocolate Imperial Stout. Now she says she regrets not picking up one more bottle of BCBS Coffee when she had the chance!
  5. This is exactly how my wife did it.
    She was a red wine drinker & then discovered Kasteel Rouge Ale (which I'd recommend for your better half if she hasn't tried it yet, 8% abv isn't small, and the only beer I've had with such a bold cherry note was New Glarus Wisconsin Red).
    She tried just about every fruit beer with varying degrees of success, typically it was meh to it's ok.

After nearly a year of trying some of my imperial stouts and not liking them, she asked for a sip of Caldera Old Growth imperial stout and declared it wasn't that bad. She proceeded to sip about 1/3 of the bomber.

Now all she wants to drink are imperial stouts, old ales, & the occasional barleywine.
    Her favorite beer is BCBS with BCS coming in second.
  6. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

I got my girl into craft beer around the time we got together, about 9 months ago. And the bug bit her pretty good lol. She likes pretty much all styles but is a total hop head. She loves to bring home suprise beers, like the other day a clown shoes Luchador en with chilli chocolate to pair with it. Yeah I know, I gotta keeper. Lol
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. I totally thought this was a thread on trying the Backstage Series for the first time.

OP, similar situation here, but my wife started getting into craft just because she couldn't get away from it anymore. She'll still have a Tecate when she feels like it, but she tried Backwoods Bastard at a tasting recently, followed by KBS, and then literally sent me all around town the next day trying to find more for her. Now, her tastes swing with the mood just like mine; one day it'll be an IPA, the next it'll be a BB stout. She's struggling on Belgians and sours, but I'll break her. Break her like a horse.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  8. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (380) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

The closest my wife get to buying craft is yarn when she wants to knit. Bonus to that is she never drinks my beer. How horrible would it be if you constantly had to worry about her drinking your freshies.
    MrKsBeer likes this.
  9. whudathunkett

whudathunkett Zealot (95) Minnesota Oct 30, 2010

My wife is a geek, I don't remember what it was but it was probably some sort of hoppy as hell IPA
  10. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I second this. My better half is gluten-free so I have an extra layer of protection: not only does she not like beer, but she'd become physically ill if she drank mine! Cheers:D
  11. Allagash White was my SWMBO's gateway craft beer. She's really into hefeweizen now.
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  12. My girl was buying Magic Hat Lucky Kat by the case, back in the day. Her first was probably Dead Guy Ale, but I'd have to have her corroborate that statement.
  13. Greatly-timed post for me. I never had forced or encouraged the significant other to drink since she's never been a beer person. I had previously had her sip previous ones I thought she MAY like to no avail.

Then this last Friday, she comes I'm with a pack of Allagash White! She loves it! We'll see if it progresses.
  14. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

My girl picked up some DFH t'weason ale down in NC and loved it. After a recent trip to Bells we found some more at a bottle shop and she had to have more. Just hope she doesn't start spending as much $ on beer as i do now!
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

OMG, I just totally killed my husband's interest accidentally :oops:
    he seems like he could like belgian ales... I gave him a pile of beers including a madame rose. Whoops. This stout girl didn't realize that was a sour.
    complete and total repulsion. sigh.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. I brought some over for her and she dug it, so she ended up buying a 4-pack of it.
  17. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Damn the girls and the fruity beers. I've been trying for the longest time to get her to stop drinking Bud light. She likes the fruity beers like that blueberry and raspberry thing with the weird logo. I have no idea what the fuck it is and its not on the site. The beers she loves of mine are of course the rarest and most expensive sours. She loves Supplication, Black Raspberry Lambic, all CL sours ect. Maybe she should stick to the Bud light.
    AceMaster likes this.
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Shes only bought things for my birthday.
    Shes hasnt made her own purchase yet.

I finally got her to give up her, "I wont try" to "Ill try a sip"

Cheers!
    HoshuaJobbs likes this.
  19. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

She doesn't drink beer, for the most part, and though she'll frequently sample whatever I'm drinking (though only at my suggestion; she never asks for a taste), she doesn't know much about beer.

As such, it shouldn't be all too surprising that her first craft purchase was an Anderson Valley summer variety pack recommended to her by a not-so-awesome liquor store employee; she bought it in late winter.
    luisfrancisco likes this.
  20. My wife converted to craft on 90 min. as well. She loved it. She hasn't strayed far off the IPA path, but she does love Saisons.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

My wife enjoys a quality pilsener or helles lager, especially Laguinitas Pils, Scrimshaw and Hotter than Helles. Anything remotely bitter is out the door, so no IPAs or anything with a roasted malt profile. She also enjoys a good wheat (Franziskaner, Florida cracker wit, wittekerke), as well as a bad wheat (Shock top raspberry).

I don't see her ever going beyond these styles, and I never really push her to; she like what she likes. I've had her try new styles, every now and then she'll like a new one but she's just not into some of the more intense flavors. Tilburg's brown... that's a random one she liked (maybe it's the Belgian yeast).

When it comes to my homebrew it's the same, although I haven't done a lager yet, so blonde ales and wheats are up her alley. I went with a wit recipe for our wedding favor... I figured it needed to be something she enjoyed.

The best part is, she can't stand BMC anymore. She'd much rather have a quality lager or one of the mentioned ales.
  22. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Aside from hard cider, Abita Purple Haze. Now she'll drink just about everything and has even gone to EBF before (and will be again in a few days) :)
  23. My girl grabbed a haul of goose belgians because she liked the "pretty names" juliet, lolita, sofie, fluer, and madame rose. Great shopping!
  24. If I could find a girl that liked craft as much as me.. My last friend drank bluemoon but those are horrible
  25. 6 2011 Surly Darkness's. Aren't we talking about the mules in our lives?? I kid, Leinie's Summer Shandy, then I got her a Belgian Red and it went straight to hell there. Any time I am in or near WI, she drops the hint "Ya know we are down to only the expensive sours in your fridge, you might want to remedy that".
  26. But when my wife concedes and sips, her usual response is something like "I don't taste chocolate or vanilla!"
  27. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

My fiancé* bought me Utopias 10th anniversary because "You were having a bad day and you've mentioned how much you wanted to try this one."
    Her one and (so far) only purchase. She traded for a 4 pack of Heady Topper for Christmas two years ago. She does not even drink beer.

*for a reason, Obviously.
  28. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I met my wife in Japan, and took her to a craft beer bar that day. So i'm guessing that was the first.
  29. 312. 9 months later she'll drink anything I put in front of her :) *pats self on the back*
  30. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

If she ever wants a good gluten free beer, Omission lager is a fantastic choice IMHO.
  31. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I have no idea, she's been into craft for much longer than I have.
    AshleyK likes this.
  32. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

My wife doesn't drink anything with me except lambics, which is fine with us. She's very supportive of all this business, and often brings back sixers of things for me to drink, unannounced! She pays attention enough to know what to buy without ever asking. Today she passed by one of my favorite package stores and brought back the last four Sucks and two Hop Devils. Aces. Who could quibble with that? As good as having one with me.
    chocosushi likes this.
  33. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I have no desire to even try a fruit beer. I'll stick w/ my lifetime supply stash of bcbs :p
    My husband can occassionally drink an ale. He'll drink brooklyn #2 once in a while, but he's firm that beer is just not his thing and he's sticking to mixed drinks and wine.
    Damn the guys and their flammable fruity drinks :D
    AshleyK likes this.
  34. Girlfriend's name is Zoe, she was initially very receptive to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so I thought some Maine Zoe would really usher her in...worked like a damn charm.
  35. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (450) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

My bf is 9 years older than I am so I have no idea what his first craft was; he probably tried many things long before I met him. However, we've both gotten into craft as a hobby shortly after getting together and expanded our tastes together ever since. Oddly enough, he likes the fruit beers more than I do (not that I don't like them) while I like stouts and porters primarily.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  36. Chimay blue
  37. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

My girl was a Blue Moon drinker when we met. I told her that Dogfish Head Namaste was basically the same style, only better, so she tried it and loved it. Now she's buying up Zombie Dust on the reg, along with various FFF bombers, Dragon's Milk, Founders Imperial Stout, etc. Last year DLD was on her birthday, and she was way more excited that it was DLD than her birthday lol.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  38. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I met my fiance at Falling Rock Tap House during GABF. Recently I was pondering if I was going to give up homebrewing to fund another hobby and she told me I'm not allowed to stop brewing. A keeper for sure.
  39. I fell in love when she said the magical words, "Damn, this Sierra Nevada is good".
  40. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Orval. That's her beer.
    & I couldn't be happier, because she always shares :]