1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your better half's first craft beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AceMaster, Feb 5, 2013.

1. My GF was already into beer when i meet her but i definitely expanded her horizons. She is obsessed with sours now. Which i think is part of the reason she bought me a Bruery Reserve Society Membership for Christmas.

2. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

There's a better chance of intergalactic space travel happening before my wife ever tries a craft beer (or any beer).

AshleyK likes this.
  3. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

my wife was not familiar with craft beer at all when we met, but was super open to it and fell in love with la fin du monde and sofie

we have p much the same taste now, hoppy beers and saisons are our favorites, and hardly disagree on our faves

4. I don't think there was a particular beer that got my girlfriend in to it. More so certain styles. She was already a beer drinker but stuck to the traditional East Coast Canadian beers (Alexander Keith's, Moosehead Lager).

When we moved to Ontario 4 months ago and more beers became available I started buying her ambers which she loved. I then eased her in to some hoppy APA's and got her to the point where she'd usually ask for some of my IPA's. Then Finally tonight, she asked me to pick her up a good IPA :) Success!

I have her warmed up to a few certain Porters but she's still not quite in to the Stouts. Not that she dislikes them but she won't go for more than a sip here and there.

All in all it's awesome to always have someone to appreciate good beer with!

AceMaster likes this.
  5. First and still favorite is Flower Power. Other favorites include Green Flash West Coast, De Ranke Guldenberg, Lindemans Framboise, and Racer 5.

6. She's tried plenty but the one that she LOVES is Allegash White.

7. millercheg

millercheg Disciple (60) Wisconsin Apr 10, 2012

My wife loves DFH 90 minute.

8. Lost cause, my wife has never had a sip of alcohol of any kind in her life and apparently doesn't plan to either. I thought for awhile I might be able to break her down with wine, but no dice.

9. king75

king75 Savant (410) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

My wife's first craft beer was Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. She loves good Heffenweizens and Reds. Her other favorites are Yuengling and Oberon

10. The only craft beer she has ever enjoyed was Rochefort 10. Other than that she sticks to Lemonberry Shandy.

11. Whatever I gave her was a mistake! Everything I buy (she never does) is only half mine AND I have to wait to drink it with her.

AceMaster and beerme411 like this.
  12. My wife was bor, raised and went to undergrad in Chico, so I'll guess it's a Sierra Nevada beer.
    Just a hunch though. :)

13. Ivan Drago?

Sounds like a good/expensive problem.

14. That sounds like the opposite of fun, albeit cheaper.

15. I don't know what her first one was, but I think her favorite is Dogfish Olde School Barley wine. Luckily she hates beers with strong bourbon notes and hates big stouts, so she'll stay out of my top notch goodies.

16. Your BF is winning.

Kerrie likes this.
  17. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

Her first taste of good craft beer resulted in the response, "This beer tastes like plants." Shortly after she found herself enjoying a GLBC Commodore Perry, being a good Ohio girl as she is. Shortly after I introduced her to 3 Floyds, my home brewery of choice, now she has FFF gear for just about every day of the week. The latest crave for her came from an ounce of Black Note I shared with her... I created a monster as she went to the local bottle shop trying to find as many good BA Stouts and the like that she could find :) Currently we are splitting bombers of Pipeworks Stouts, life is good.

AshleyK likes this.
  18. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (335) Texas Dec 18, 2011

My wife (fiancé at the time) and I used to spend our summers in Wisconsin. One night I finally convinced her to try a spotted cow, she was a fan. We spent many days/nights after that throwing down some cows & cheese curds.

She still shares the occasional beer with me and will always drink when we go to brewery tours.

AshleyK likes this.
  19. She is like a piece of iron.

AshleyK and fujindemon74 like this.
  20. The first I can recall my fiancee having was Easy Street Wheat, but she loves her some Sofie now. I bought her a bomber a couple of days ago and a few minutes after she opened it I opened the fridge to pull out a beer and I hear from the other room "don't even think about it."

21. AshleyK

AshleyK Aficionado (125) Illinois Jun 14, 2012

I'm the girl. And I keep up with my guy ;) @NSK79

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  22. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

my wife prefers low calorie alcohol (i.e. vodka) and im ok w/ it....

23. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Hates 'em all, thank God.

Stockfan42 and AceMaster like this.
  24. Mine rarely drinks beer but when she does she likes Jacobins Rouge and 3F Golden Blend. Go figure.

25. I've been trying for YEARS now to get her into some craft beers. She's mostly big on wine but will drink the occasional Bud light/Carona. The only thing she really likes is the Lindemans Framboise Lambic.

26. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

I don't remember her first, but I know she didn't really get into beer until she had her first Red Chair. Now she's an absolute hop-head

27. dawatts

dawatts Savant (310) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Mayflower IPA got her tickled but it was the Ballast Point Sculpin that convinced her. "This tastes like grapefruit juice, I love it."

28. Before I had met my girlfriend, her favorite beer was Bud Light Platinum. At first it was pretty hit or miss with her, when it came to trying new craft beers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Rogue Chocolate Stout probably got the best responses. Recently she declared Budweiser Black Crown her new favorite, so I put myself on a mission to find a beer that she'd like more. Last night I bought a case of Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre, and she fell in love with it as soon as she tried it. Eventually she decided that from now on if she wants beer, she's giving me the money (she's 20) and she just wants a case of this stuff for herself. It was a wonderful moment.

Picaroon likes this.
  29. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

My cat doesn't like beers. He sniffs at them occasionally, but nothing more. Maybe I should try some oyster stouts?

30. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Mine likes stouts and lambics. FBS and Ten Fidy are her favorite, but I recently turned her onto Heady and Nugget Nectar.

31. TysonA

TysonA Savant (320) Washington Dec 12, 2010

Black Raven Wisdom Seeker IIPA. Now she is searching out HOTD bourbon Fred and Bourbon County Stout. Happy Days