1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Your DLD stories

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JakeT469, Apr 29, 2012.

1. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (340) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Wow!! Quite the day at DL. This may b a long post but I have some stories. Got there about 5:30am and the rain/cold def sucked but was around good ppl in line sharing great beers. We set up a canopy and and nestled it up to the tent next to us doubling the size of our shelter. Thanks to everyone we waited in line with behind the port a johns. I was the guy with the Cro-Mags hoodie and Chicago Bears backpack yelling at all the line jumpers.

While I was about 50 ppl back in line to get in I was the Very 1st person in the gates. I went to use the port a johns about 15 mins before the gates opened and when I walked out just stayed inside the gates and walked right in the pub. I def walked in on the employee mtg haha! I was pretty buzzed up at this point but sat at 1 of the high top tables and my 2 friends joined me in the pub. Drank some BA deliciousness and actually got cut off from the pub around noon lol!! I was told I had been over served but got to stay in the festivities and drink outside the pub.

At this point I wasn't too happy but enjoyed myself nonetheless. However, the story gets worse. I had a group C tic that I lost at some point during the day. I couldn't get my DL bottles. Luckily I have 2 good friends that said they'd sell me a couple btls. While I waited for them to get there btls I proceeded to walk "backstage" and hang out with some of the bands.

When my friends got done getting there DL btls I met back up with them and found out they both won on the scratch off and got the vanilla and muerte. At this point I'm hammered (this is what happens when you've been drinking great beers for 12 hrs). We left about 5:30-6 with 2 cases of Zombie and my friends 10 btls of DL. On our walk to the car my friend dropped the 4 pack bomber case with the 2 special DL btls and they fuckin broke!! $100 down the drain. By far the worse part of the day along with me losing my tic. He felt so bad about it that he bought us white castle on the way back to the hotel. Ate and was sleeping by 730ish hence y I'm up at 630.

Thanks to the guys and gals at Courtyard Marriott btl share on Fri night. Great beers, great ppl Great times! That's my DLD story and I'm sticking to it. Lets here y'alls stories.

2. vande

vande Advocate (520) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Sounds like an expensive fraternity party that was only missing the vomitting in the sink... guessguess its a good time you had fun.....

Duff27 and landrewg like this.
  3. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

What ^^^^ said. Sounds like a guide of what not to do when you finally end up going. At least you had fun though.

vkv822, aasher and vande like this.
  4. mmnorth

mmnorth Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 12, 2007

This is one the reasons why I showed up at 7pm got my bottles and left this year. Way too many of these guys running around.

71gto likes this.
  5. glad I'm not the only one that had the same opinion. frat party DLD. I thought the white castle was a dead giveaway.

6. You guys sound like you hate fun. If you drink high ABV beer all day, you're going to get drunk. When you're drunk, White Castle is delicious. Lighten up.

7. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I felt badly for my friends, who went with my tickets. They were really looking forward to a fun time and came away sour. Lots of the things they said were similar to the stories of the OP.....people openly pissing all over the place...drunks dropping their beer....douchey/pretentious people galore. Hurray to the new wave killing another used to be fun event!

Duff27 likes this.
  8. cpinto6

Well the pissing everywhere can't be helped if its a freaking beer drinking event with 6k people, what did you expect? Despite us being "civilized" when you're talking about that many people there's bound to be pigs.

9. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

This is a thread about stories. I'm relaying my story through the people that went, with a slight jab at all the bros that attended. My expectations were....I was sleeping on the other side of the planet.

10. cpinto6

Sorry, I'm running on no sleep...finals this week. I meant to type what did *they* expect, you had mentioned it was your friends. I feel like the douchey/pretentious people part is the only one that should surprise anyone for an event like this.

11. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

Threw out my back before getting in line to get my DL, but still won and got a del muerte, Very Painful day

12. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

I hate to agree with this guy, but with 3000+ people there at any given time, and maybe 20-30 porta-potties what do you expect?

13. Gritch

Anyone know why the tornado siren went off?

14. Wait, so you yelled at line jumpers and then cut to the front of the line? o_O

15. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

This story reminds me why I don't go to DLD anymore.

HeadyBeer, rudylaw, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  16. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

Jake I saw you in the Cro-mags hoodie and I wanted to give you a shout but I was half talking to my friend.

My experience was a bunch of drunk assholes cut in front of me and ended up puking everywhere but thanks to those two assholes both my friend and I landed golden tickets, otherwise I would of ended up with no Golden Tickets like the cutting drunk asshats did! We scored 2 Bourbon BA Variants. It was a great time. Little disorganized as usual but all in all a good night.

17. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

It's fine, man. He was pretty buzzed up at that point.

My day ruled. Didn't do any line drinking as I knew there would be plenty I'd enjoy once inside. We got there around 11 and headed to the back of the line, I completed a couple trades, we were in after the A line had died out so we were able to basically get right in. My ticket was a winner, there went another $50. After carrying out our beer, we went back in, a friend was working the guest taps and snuck us several samples. Then we headed in, watched Eyehategod and were against the rail for High On Fire. I would have (and actually probably have in the past) paid $15 just to see HoF, so good. We headed back out, a friend gave us a VIP bracelet so we enjoyed a complementary round of beers and sausages, then we headed home totally exhausted and happy. My experience at this DLD far exceeded previous FFF festival experience, but I went in with lowered expectations and knew what to expect.

18. pointyskull

pointyskull Savant (250) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

Sold my winning golden ticket for $100....

19. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

This, plus there were no porta-potties along side the building this year, so once you got to that point in line you were screwed.

20. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Aficionado (245) Indiana Jan 1, 2012

They test it around noon every Saturday.

21. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Aficionado (245) Indiana Jan 1, 2012

This isn't my story, but my buddy forgot his vanilla DL and two bottles of regular DL when he left. I don't know how it happened, but it happened.

So, uh, if there's a kind soul out there who found it, I know who it belongs to. (worth a shot, right?)

22. My friends and I showed up at about 4:30am with a cooler full of goodies. We were maybe 20 people back in line, right along the fence behind porto potties. It started raining shortly after and didn't stop for several hours. That was the worst part of the morning for sure. Our neighbors in line ended up busting out a huge canopy and moved our table under it. We just started opening beers and sharing lots of bottles with anyone walking by. We had BA Behemoth, Westy 12, Hanssen's Oude Kriek, Filmishmish, Jackie O's Bourbon Dark Apparition, Beat and so much more. We all dried up, the rain stopped, and we drank the morning away until the gates opened. At that point the front of the line really bulked up and we ended up maybe 50 people back in line. Went straight to the brewpub and ate and drank for a little over an hour I think. Got to have Vanilla DL and BA Alpha Klaus on tap. Those were some strong beers, and I really don't even remember what guest drafts I had. We ended up getting in line for A tickets, and myself and my girlfriend both lost the scratch off. I was super excited and probably a little too set in the belief I would win a scratch off, so when we lost it really bummed me out. My friends who came, however, both won! Congrats to them for both getting vanilla bourbon DL's that they are now selling on ebay I believe. It wasn't so much that I did not win, as I didn't win last year at XV either, but that both my friends won and don't care about the beer at all, and I care probably too much about it, and they wouldn't let me buy at least 1 of theirs. Then again I shouldn't feel entitled to something that isn't mine, its just that I would do the same for them if the tables were turned. Ruined my day. So I ended up rather drunk and emotional and kinda ditched everyone and went back to my car, were I sulked for about an hour with my girlfriend.

Sobered up just a little, felt better and said fuck it lets go back to the party. My friends had left and I just wanted to get back inside, get a guest draft and chill out. On the way in a guy stops me right outside the gates and asks if I want to buy a ticket off him. He gave me 2 unused tickets for $30. I couldn't refuse my second chance, so we immediately got back in line and we both magically won the scratch off. It was in the last like 10 minutes of the B group so unfortunately they ran out of vanilla bourbon which is what I really wanted, but we did get a regular bourbon and a cognac bottle. It really cheered me up. I got through 2 or 3 trades I had set up for some more great beers, and then we had to take off around 5 as my girlfriend started to feel a little sick. Even with my rather embarrassing self pity party, I had a great day and met some great people!

23. Got there a little after 6:30am-ish, left around 8:15pm. First DLD I have attended. It was a good time I think would do things different next year though. Lots of waiting around and as the day went on lots of obnoxious drunks trying to cut in line, being disorderly, etc. I know it is a beer festival/party but please try and keep your shit together. Was able to meet some very cool people, drink some great beers, and got a BA Dark Lord. We had a group of 8 people, we got inside the grounds by 10:30, one part of the group secured a table, and 4 of us went directly in line for the pub. We didn't make it into the pub until almost 3. We did have people wandering around getting guest taps throughout the day. I got pretty lucky with the guest taps early on when Hunaphu's was tapped right when I was 3 people away from ordering. Had group C tickets, headed over to wait to get in line, there was a huge funnel/cutting near the entrance. Finally made it through that, got my bottles and a BA dark lord. Chilled for a while as the crowds died down and got some more guest taps. That said, some complaints/things I wish they did differently:

1) Our group waited over 4 hours to get into the pub only to find out that Black Sun was the only barrel aged offering at the time. This was very disappointing. We made the most of it and got food and normal Dark Lord but the only reason we spent most of our day in that line was for the bourbon and vanilla Dark Lord. I was able to get a sip of each one throughout the day and they were phenomenal, wished I had a chance to get a whole glass. They bottled way more BA this year so maybe they decided to go for the cash and not use as many barrels for the on tap variations?

2) Some of the guest taps did not turn over fast enough. It was 8pm and barely anyone in line and they still had not tapped KBS or CBS. Why not tap those earlier to give people a chance to try them out instead of at 9-10pm. Did anyone notice if they eventually got tapped (I left 8:15)?

3) I thought last year they rationed off the BA varieties and limited them to a certain amount each group. I was near the front of the line to get in C but they were all gone with the vanilla variety. Which is fine by me, I was able to get vanilla last year so I got bourbon this year, but seems next year it is smarter to go with A or B.

But I did have a great time and some great beers. They did tap a BCBS with Cherries near the end before I left that was unreal. That may have been my favorite throughout the day, but I got to try BCBCS, Hunaphus, Apple Brandy Zhukov, Conquistador de Muerte, FW XV & Scuaba, Curmudgeons, Dark Lord, and way more. I just think next year I'll need a different plan since being there over 12 hours was exhausting to say the least.

24. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (305) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

Got there at 10:15, was in the gates by noonish, got a burger, walked around, got a burger (which was awesome) walked up to the mob of confusion that was the bottle line, when B opened, we walked right in, we both won the scratch off, got our bottles (cognac and vanilla), and then left.

perfect DLD

25. Gritch

Thanks. They do that here every Tuesday.

26. I think next year I will focus much more on guest taps. I intended to do that this year but everything kind of got out of control. While we did get to try Vanilla DL in the brewpub, and I am sorry you did not, I was really looking forward to BA Behemoth on tap and BA variations of Robert the Bruce. I missed out on almost every good guest tapping and ever great FFF tap outside as well. Turns out for awhile they were actually selling BA Alpha Klaus w/cherry or plums and I totally missed out on that while in line for the pub.

27. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (380) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Title of this thread should be "How Not to Act at a Beer Release"

Hanzo, redsand22, MaxSpang and 6 others like this.
  28. jale

jale Savant (475) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

Here is my story...... I AM BLESSED!!! I've had many hobbies in my life, but none as rewarding as Craft beer. Most people I meet are incredible and generous. I have made many lifelong friends and continue to do so. Thank you to all my many friends that make craft beer the World's greatest hobby!!!!

Thorpe429, paulys55, Sean9689 and 4 others like this.
  29. JakeT469

I was in the gates at 945. Went to the port a John and saw a friend of mine who was working and proceeded to talk to him inside the gates until they let everyone in. I was yelling at the ppl who literally started walking to the front at 930 or so. I was in the cold rain with everyone else who got there early. I see what u tried to do there tho ;)

30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Op's tale is advocacy at it's finest.

cpmichael and ASUBeer like this.
  31. JakeT469

That was our group that set up the canopy next to you. I'm the one that had the BA Behemoth. Awesome meeting you and your group. Good times minus that damn rain!

32. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

Showed up at 7am. Got my bottles in the car by 10:45, enjoyed the rest of my day. I was the guy in the bright yellow/green hat standing on the table most of the day, yelling at khazadum. Thanks to everyone who brought out huge whales and let me tick them. :D

MarkIntihar likes this.
  33. oreo

To everyone who got a bottle stolen from them on this day, a word of advice. There are SHADY people in this event who just want to profit, and will do anything to get more. Always put your beer in your car RIGHT AFTER you buy your beer. Its pretty simple. Don't go walking around with it all day getting drunk and then having it stolen right under your nose.

RTrain12, Duff27 and MarkIntihar like this.
  34. aasher

aasher Champion (930) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I drank all day and wasn't the slightest bit tipsy. I must've drank half a case of water. Please conduct yourself like an adult next time. Awesome move by Three Floyds to sell cases of water.

Crazy day of crazy pours. We got there at 630 and met up with MordorMongo (Scott) and others. Massive thanks for the Loons! My favorites of the morning were LP Framboise, Framboise for a Cure, HF Society and Solitude #3, Cascade Blueberry, and BCBCS (as always). At one point we couldn't take it anymore and went to the car to warm up and snag some dry clothes. We got back in line after it stopped raining. Once we.got in we went straight to the line for bottles then dropped them off at the car. After that we got in line for the BA beers. I didn't even know that line existed. Then we grabbed bottles from the car and proceeded to the tasting tables. I opened a Fou'Foune, Bruery Wanderer, and an '07 Blushing Monk. The Blushing Monk was phenomenal, far better than the new version. Mark (Rempo) shared an Izzy, which was both delicious and extremely generous! Samantha shared two vintages of Churchill's Finest. Cam shared Iced Dark Apparition. Chocolate Rain was phenomenal again. All in all, a great event with great people. It wasn't nearly as crowded as last year. Eliminating coolers inside.was a great idea!

CWBlues and Bogforce like this.
  35. dude you are quite drunk. There were some line cutters but most of the people you were shouting at were people that were in line already all morning and just went to the car to drop off coolers and such

Kgristoff and oreo like this.
  36. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

The best part of the weekend was Flossmoors on Friday night and the bottle share at the Hampton. Once I got in line at 5am on two hours of sleep :eek: and stood in the rain I realized I may have made a mistake....too much drinking the night before! With the bottle sharing Friday night and Saturday in line, then getting into the pub first thing to drink some great barrel aged beers and great food with great friends in a laid back atmosphere....those were the highlights! Then, I walked back outside........HOLY SHIT!
    I stood in line that had no beginning and no end (Hey FFF, use some of that cash flow to buy some rope!!!) Then one person...male or female, not sure what it was....started causing mass confusion by directing group B and group C people in different areas. Then the group C people were stuck in a soccer style mob for and hour and a half!
    So, with my buddies moving ahead of me with their B tickets, I was stuck in this crowd standing nuts-to-butt with some real winners!
    People who would hover by the front of the line then cut when they finally let us in!
    Guys who bring their drunk tough talking girlfriends to get double the allotment
    A group of non english speaking asians playing pattycake or some shit! (See Ebay...I'm sure)
    Some ass who dumped beer and kicked (yeah...KICKED! haha) another guy for "pushing and cutting"
    A complete clusterfuck!!!

I think if I go next year, which I doubt, I will get a group A ticket, I will get there early again, bottle share with great people who care about beer and sharing, get inside, get my beer, then leave...just to avoid the late comers and the "soccer style crowd"

woodchopper likes this.
  37. oreo

I approve of your post. And line cutters don't mean shit on a day like DLD. You have your tickets, you are guaranteed bottles. Belligerent drunk people need to stay home.

Kgristoff, fear025 and vande like this.
  38. rudylaw

rudylaw Savant (340) Illinois Apr 29, 2007

Went to the Bulls game since the ticket was infinitely easier to get and saw D-Rose crumble a few feet away. Worst game ever... but it sounds like I still had a better time than going to Rush Week.

39. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Arrived at 7:40 AM, about 400ish in line, and set up shop. Perfect timing as the rain appeared to have tapered off and it didn't return the rest of the day. Opened some nice stuff, had some great bottle sharing experiences, met some great people, and peeled off from the group with the g/f to set up a screened shelter across the street from the entrance (after consulting with the Muster Police to make sure this was OK). This was the best idea of the day by far. Had A tickets, went through the line relatively quickly while my friends went off to to the guest taps and came out with all the Cigar City barrel aged variants (all were awesome), managed to get two winning scratch off tickets (it seemed that the odds of winning was over 50% based on observation and every group I talked with winning at a rate over 50%).

Quick note - to all those at FFF who organized this year - you guys did an absolutely amazing job. Well done. I can't see how it could have gone any smoother than it did considering the 6000+ attendees, and everything was run extremely well with a great group of happy people doing their best to take care of (as the day wore on) increasingly drunk people. Great, great job.

At the beginning of the day while we were in the A group line getting the allocation, FFF released the rest of the BA variants, which was a great thing to do, and my friends snagged a few bottles before they ran out. Another very cool footnote on a very well organized day.

Returned inside the gates to wait with my friends before they went through the B allocation around 1 PM, and already many in the crowd seemed to be acting as if this was one big frat party. Having a shelter set up outside the gates was a great respite from an increasingly drunk crowd inside as the day wore on. While a few bad apples certainly didn't ruin the fun for all of us, we saw more than our fair share of people who thought less about the great beer being released and more about drinking up and partying. While I can't fault them for doing what they want to do, this year marked the first (over the last three years at DLD) time that I noticed a larger contingent of people there just to drink, which was a bit disappointing. The crowd outside with tents and tasting tables set up had quite a number of extremely impressive bottles being shared, which was just awesome to see, and those outside the gates (the exception being one person near our tent who literally couldn't stand up as we got up to leave and who undoubtedly had alcohol poisoning which hopefully prompted medical attention) seemed to be more in control and more wanting to relax, chill, share a few bottles, and enjoy the day than those inside the gates.

Overall, we left too early (4:30) and missed out on some awesome guest taps later in the day - lesson learned if we go again next year. Big thanks to FFF for a great event overall. Very very well done.

40. mmnorth

mmnorth Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 12, 2007

I couldn't believe how many DL 4 packs I saw unattended sitting on the picnic tables right where the line was starting.