1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Your DLD stories

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JakeT469, Apr 29, 2012.

1. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

Are you saying you drain poured a KH because the neck broke?
  2. Rempo

Rempo Member

What he's saying is that the chance of getting a cut inside his throat from a glass shard wasn't worth it. Not sure if you saw the DLD checklist, but it didn't include coffee filters.
    RTrain12 and MarkIntihar like this.
  3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Why do you care so much? Would you have rather risk someone potentially drinking pieces of glass?

I can't think of a more appropriate time to say "it's just beer".
  4. AgentZero

AgentZero Member

I enjoyed being stalked coming out of the warehouse after I purchased DL. I was fortunate enough to hit on the lottery and purchased a Cognac BA DL. As I'm walking back outside I'm immediately hit up with this:

Trashy Drunk Guy: Dude, I'll give you $100 for that bottle.
    Me: I'm good man, thanks.
    Trashy Drunk Guy: Dude, you don't get it, you make $50!
    Me: Oh no, I get how it works.

I hope in the future FFF kicks people out who are trying to do this. I cannot imagine people are allowed to sell beer on their property. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure these are the guys are just flipping on the site that must not be named.
  5. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

I was just curious if I was reading it right...I wasn't implying he should've drank a freaking bottle that might have glass shards in it. I just wondered why the neck breaking was a bad thing if the beer was still in there. Now I know, it wasn't a clean break like with sabering so he drain poured it. I agree it is just beer, I don't know where you detected outrage from me over that he might have drain poured a KH. Beer is never worth the chance you might end up in the hospital.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I guess it was this post, after you'd learned it wasn't a clean break by the previous post:

Maybe not outrage, but a hint of incredulity.
  7. Gritch

Gritch Member

That shit kind of irked me too. They get pissed at you for not selling them your bottle.
  8. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

You're assuming a lot. He just said something along the lines of the night got worse when the neck broke off my King Henry. He never said he had drain poured it so I was just curious and asking sincere questions. Yes, I learned it wasn't a clean break but I didn't know he had drain poured it. I was interested in hearing if I inferred right and he drain poured it or if he somehow successfully salvaged it. In hindsight I should've put two and two together that he didn't try to salvage it somehow and drain poured it but I haven't slept in about 24 hours so I'm a little laggy right now.

If you add a just because in there, sure but I just asked a straight forward question, no incredulity since its perfectly reasonable to not drink a beer that might have glass shards in there.
  9. Gritch

Gritch Member

Bet they will be on the list for next year.
    Rempo likes this.
  10. 1noa

1noa Member

I had the same happen to me...left me feeling a little uncomfortable. That's when my buddy handed me a pour of the Apple Brandy Zhukov from the guest tap...and all was right.
  11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Not judging by the frequency of your posts this afternoon ;)
  12. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

I'm just very bored:p ...I finished studying for my final which is at 2:50 but it wasn't enough time for me to sleep and trust myself to wake up and show up to my final so I'm killing time on here till I take my final and then I can finally PTFO for like 5 hours.
  13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Lol, I do the same thing when I'm very bored... at work :oops:
  14. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

Haha yea, I'm not in a work environment though and just need to sleep but I have to stay active so I don't pass out. I love my sleep, I wish someone would've told me you don't get more than 6 hours of sleep a night during the week when you choose to study engineering. I would've said fuck that shit and chosen something else, I think I'll have aged 10 years instead of 5 by the time I get outta here.
  15. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

There's a lot of things I wish people would have warned me about with engineering... lack of sleep is far down on my list :D
  16. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Member

Okay now you guys are just post count battling. Let's get back to the real argument here. Hell yeah I will take a chance at a severed juggler to drink some King Henry.
    eyeenjoybeer and MarkIntihar like this.
  17. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

Very true, like I said though, I love my sleep...like LOVE, so that trumps everything else for me. But yes, there's a long list of things I wish someone would've warned me and I can see all too well why this country is running out of engineers. No one wants to suffer through this shit, its only the Asian and Indian braniacs that enjoy it. What I wouldn't give to have a delorean and go to 2008 to kick past me in the balls when he decided this career was a good idea.
  18. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

I hate barleywines with a passion but I'd probably try to figure out a way to take out the shards without compromising the beer just for the hell of it.
  19. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Member

This guy would drink it.
  20. immobilisme

immobilisme Member

My DLD story includes many people gawking at my 6L bottle of beer.

Also got some Cognac and BB Vanilla DL.
    thetomG likes this.
  21. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

LOL love those severed jugglers! ;)
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  22. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Member

FML.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  23. JM03

JM03 Member

My story is that I planned on grabbing 30+ bottles of Dark Lord. I had them all pre-traded until I realized I had no chance of getting 30 bottles.. Oh wait... Must have been a dream. I wasn't at DLD :cool:
    MarkIntihar and drewba like this.
  24. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

I see what you did there. I lolled
  25. chronie

chronie Member

That was you? I saw someone in line with this huge all bottle. Couldn't stop laughing for a while after that.
  26. Lansman

Lansman Member

There was an individual I met at DLD at about 2 PM who claimed to have already acquired "8 BA Vanilla DLs, and 4 BA Bourbon DLs."

Me: How did you acquire so many?
    BA DL Hoarder: I stuck out $150 as people were exiting the warehouse and people are just handing over their bottles.
    Me: What are you going to do with all those bottles?
    BA DL Hoarder: Drink them. They are my favorite beers.
    Me: Have you tried them yet?
    BA DL Hoarder: No, but I really liked last year's version. I'm already $1800 deep today!

I'm all for free market capitalism, and there really is no way to tell if he was really going to drink the bottles (or if he acquired them in the first place) but I don't recall running into these individuals so early in the day last year. Guess that's just the way it is now, I suppose.
  27. rt1976

rt1976 Member

Any word on the final count of the BA's? With the crazy prices and willing buyers I would anticipate even more "winning" tickets next year.
  28. RTrain12

RTrain12 Member

Pics? What was it?
  29. immobilisme

immobilisme Member

It was 2009 Port Barrel Aged Bare Tree from Two Brothers. A bunch of people took pictures, but I did not... but I can upload a picture of the empty bottle if you'd like to see it.
  30. thetomG

thetomG Member

31. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

Sigh.... ISO.
  32. eachnotesecure

eachnotesecure Member

33. immobilisme

immobilisme Member

Good luck my friend. That is bottle number 6 of 15 released to the public back in December 2010. There could be a couple floating around, but I kind of doubt it. I personally would love to try it again, as it was better than I expected.
  34. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

Hence the sigh :(
  35. FritterFlip

FritterFlip Member

Do you think it will benefit from more time or do you think its about the right time to drink it? I had a 2008 bare tree recently that was drinking pretty well. Is the port pretty strong?
  36. london1o1

london1o1 Member

I spent 10am-12:30pm, give or take, in line for the brewpub with you and this guy. I don't know if I ever got his BA name though. Also, what was the BA name of the other dude we ended up sitting with in there?
  37. immobilisme

immobilisme Member

I thought it was a great time to drink it. I am not sure what additional age will do to it, but it seemed like there were some bugs in the barrel, whether intentional or not, that gave the beer a subtle funk. It was really nice. There was a pronounced port note with dark berry flavors that probably were from the port barrels. I bet it could go another year or two without a problem.
  38. jegross2

jegross2 Member

hahaha. Glad I found you before your phone died. Speaking of which, I have the box i need to send you in my car. Just need to drive to fedex....
  39. london1o1

london1o1 Member

Awesome. Thanks. And yeah, I actually had to go back to the Hampton briefly midway through the day to recharge my phone. I had one more trade to track down even after I found you. Next time I'm definitely making sure I can take care of all my trades in line before the event or the night before. Nobody wants to have to worry about tracking down trades after a full day of DLD craziness.
  40. london1o1

london1o1 Member

To add my 0.02 to this thread, I had an amazing time at DLD this year. They're geniuses for somehow tricking thousands of people to be excited when they "win" a chance to pay $50 for a bottle of beer. I was one of those people, I got a Bourbon BA DL, and yes, I was excited.

[------ sob story -------]
    My only real complaint is that there has to be a better way to set up the brewpub. I went to that line immediately after getting inside the gate. I was probably one of the first 100-200 people in the gate, but most of those other people were also in the brewpub line, in front of me. I assume there was also a lot of cutting going on, which FFF obviously can't do much about. What they can do something about, is making sure that there are DL variants on tap ALL DAY. I wasted half my DLD waiting in that line only to find that BA Black Sun was the only barrel aged beer on tap. The Vanilla Bean DL and Bourbon DL had both kicked, and nobody seemed to know if/when they'd ever be back on.

This was my fourth DLD ('08-'10 and '12, if anyone's counting), I drove from Pittsburgh every year I've gone, and I made it a priority this year to stand in that line to get some Vanilla DL, since I somehow had missed it on all previous years. Humorously, by waiting all day in that line, when I actually got in the DL bottle sales line, and got a BA DL winning ticket, they were out of the Vanilla variant bottles as well.
    [------ sob story -------]

That said, I really did have an amazing time. I met a ton of awesome people (thanks to everybody who shared their beer with me, and especially to injuredreserve who let me crash at his hotel room Fri night), drank some incredible beers, and bought a bunch of exciting bottles to take home with me (the Bourbon BA DL was a pretty nice consolation prize for not getting to try the Vanilla DL). I realize it's gotta be unbelievably difficult to put on an event like this, and commend FFF for all their hard work. Cheers.
    xerenthar likes this.