1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your DLD stories

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JakeT469, Apr 29, 2012.

1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Not sure how you possibly could have missed it in 2008-2010 since it was free via punch at small stations and not in brewpub only? My memory sucks, but I am 100% positive it was that way in 2010 and I seem to remember it years prior also?

2. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

It was a lot better run than anticipated. FWIW, our group got there to be approx. the 50 people in line for DLD, but maybe 150-200 in line by the time the gate opened. I wasnt mad because I got in the pub just in time to get brandy DL, but i'd been pissed if relegated to BA Black Sun. On the upshot, our group got to drink some Hunah and Apple Brandy Zhukov because we did not get into the pub right away and that stuff was fucking fantastic.

3. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

ah, that was you with the 6L of Two Brothers. i myself took a few pictures, including some maybe inappropiate ones...or not. The female looked willing....and not drunk.
    thanks for the pour!

4. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

In 2010 they gave you your free pour of that years Dark Lord while you were in line to the bottles if I remember right? I know the pours were right by the line.

I do agree that they need to either have the Vanilla and Oak Aged Dark Lords separate from the Pub, or put a limit on how long you can stay in the Pub. It is ridiculous that people can stay in their for hours on end. Get your pours and move on.

5. MordorMongo

In 2010 there was little station set up in middle of Dark Lord line with Vanilla and Oak DL pours, which were obtained by punching ticket. Absolute fact. I am trying to find the photo that I took of my wife getting her first Vanilla Dark Lord but it is escaping me atm.

6. rt1976

rt1976 Aficionado (180) Indiana Apr 29, 2009

they did...ever since they implemented the tickets they were good for free pours...i was bummed they took it away this year...

7. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Left Indy around 4:15 (local time) and got to FFF around 5:45. Raining. :mad: Parked on the main street that you turn in on. Loaded up the backpack and took the short walk. Not too large of a line. Noted my spot, behind someone who appeared to have his mom waiting with him in a lawn chair. :confused: Found a canopy tent with some people I knew. Started drinking. Found my free-beer target for the day and cheered him up. Rain started to let up. Wandered back in line and found more people I knew. Introduced to lots of usernames I recognized. Ate a couple donuts, knocked out some trades. Beer-sharing reaching ridiculous levels (Wooden Hell, Crianza, Blauw). Tried to open my fair share of bottles as well, but everyone is so willing to pour... Shared some lardo - the girl who was super-excited about this made my day!

Traded my B ticket for an A ticket. :D More beer-sharing. Volunteer comes through pre-checking IDs and giving out bracelets. Very nice. Line eventually starts moving to enter the gates. Signage very professional looking this year! Grab my bottles and head straight to my car. Biggest mistake of the day - not checking to see if I could knock out more in-person trades at this point. :( Straight back to the tasting tables instead. Shared some smoked meats (I'll bring more next year - never seen stuff disappear so fast). A lot more beer-sharing. Decided to take a break and knock out my three remaining trades. Things get hazy at this point...took around two hours and don't quite remember how everything got done. :oops: (Another big apology to these trade partners and please let me know if I can make it up to you)

Grabbed some lasagna from the nicest beer-geek wife I've met. Some more sharing, but noticed the massive C (?) line wrapping all over the place and people getting a bit more antsy. Put an end to the drinking and walked around a whole bunch. Helped a friend load bottles into their van. Sat around a few more hours talking to some friends. Grabbed a corn dog and back to the car. Checked the inventory - all in-person trades completed! Lonely drive back home and back in Indy around 11:30. A great way to waste a day. :)

Thanks to all the BAs who made it a fun day. Like I said previously, great to put so many faces and names together.

----

I thought FFF did a nice job this year. They're clearly listening and implementing what is feasible. Two years in a row with more than enough toilets. Backpack-only is a must. Tried to thank any and all volunteers I ran across. DLD works great for me as I'm mostly looking to share bottles. I understand the complaints about long lines, but it's a big event with a lot of people! I've never attempted the brewpub line, since it looks like a recipe for disappointment. The taps are worth going through once or twice, but the picnic tables are where the fun is at. Just get your bottles in your car!

Kaydogg, seeswo and MarkIntihar like this.
  8. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

I know who you're talking about and not only do I believe he acquired that many, he has a track record of being terribly generous with his beer.

clintonpuckett and MarkIntihar like this.
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

What an awful quality for a BA!

drewba likes this.
  10. MordorMongo

Thanks for the right after the rain Chocolate Rain pour, not only fitting....but put a little warmth back in my system to boot!

Rempo likes this.
  11. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

Ohhh, I found PICTURES of one of the guys that tried thieving our bottles!!!

12. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I appreciate the feedback. That actually makes me feel a lot better about the whole event in a weird way. Thanks for letting me know. :)

13. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

So look out for the guy in the middle, and bottom right of this photo. Beer thieves, caught trying to take our bottles.

[​IMG]

14. MarkIntihar

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...illa-iso-ba-huna-bcs-rare-bcbvs-bcs-07.15218/

"a couple BCS Rares with extras"

I'd say that would add up to almost... $150, no? ;)

15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

At a recent tasting the same thing happened to a bottle of great. We just poured carefully. No jugglers severed.

BdubleEdubleRUN and MarkIntihar like this.
  16. MarkIntihar

I really wanted to find a picture of a juggler cut in half, but my 2 second search for "severed juggler" didn't come up with anything. :(

BdubleEdubleRUN and ADTaber like this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

brewpub suggestion: 1) should always have BA DL and such goodies on tap. waiting 5 hours in the line-cutting cold for BA black sun made me rage. 2) 2 drink limit, no food. in and out.

19. 2 Drink limit I can understand, or at least 1 drink of each on tap limit. There are plenty of amazingly delicious food vendors out there, so the pub shouldn't waste its time cooking and serving food. On DLD it really should be strictly beer sales in the pub.

20. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

I thought the amazing bottles getting shared prevented that from happening a lot. Do people really run in and out for 2nds, 3rds, etc of the same beer?

21. cpinto6

It just snapped from holding it or it got accidentally hit against something? Just curious since I hadn't heard of this happening before this thread.

22. Not sure I follow you... The way it was first thing at gates open on DLD you could get in, sit down, and order as many drinks as you liked. Could even order them to go. Also food. I was saying it would be best if they limited you to no food and just a few drinks, preferably no more than 1 pour of an BA beer.

23. cpinto6

O alright nvm then, that clears things up. Yea I agree that's a good idea.

24. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

Dark Lord was pretty much what I expected: a drunken 'metal' frat party.

I arrived around 6:00 and met some really awesome people during the pre-open bottle share. Got a couple of trades done. Busted out some Heady Topper, Boulevard Saison-Brett, Melange #3, Supplication, and CW 1414. Best thing I tried was ('06 I think) Fou Foune, and was shocked by how awesome Gilgamesh was. Also met a total douche right at the beginning of the event that was sponging on everyone's beers, scalping his tickets, and then cut to the front of the line as the gates opened. You know, the usual.

When the doors opened, the GF and I ran in got our bottles (including a DL Vanilla), grabbed a couple of the latte's in the 3 Floyds mini-pint glasses, and were out by 10:45. Jumped in the car and drove 5 hours north to the Shorts anniversary party in Bellaire, MI, which was exponentially more fun and under control.

Sad I missed the guest taps, but thrilled I didn't wait for 3 hours for BA Black Sun and the general sloppiness of the event. I'd take the Short's Anniversary party any year.

Lansman likes this.
  25. MarkIntihar

Funny how you are able to judge the sloppy drunkenness of the party without even staying long enough to see most of it...

ravot likes this.
  26. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Wow, just wow. Both parties in the same day? That is just awesome.

27. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

There were people falling over and vomiting before the gates opened at 10am....I can only imagine how it escalated from there considering most of what's been written on this thread.

28. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

In that case I'm guessing the event was front-loaded with a few folks who had been drinking all morning, and maybe even late the night before. Those of us who arrived around 9am (fresh from a good night's sleep and planning to make a day of it) didn't have to deal with much in the way of shenanigans until late into the afternoon, and even then (in my experience) it was fairly isolated.

So to the contrary, I thought it was a fantastic beer event, #1 in my book, with a perfect mix of under-control-ness and anything-goes-ness.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  29. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

The drunks were out of control much earlier this year. Had some drunk ass try to start fights with people at 10:30, because we were standing in lines. He could not understand why we were in line. It was his first year.

30. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Here's the epic beer tasting from the night before Dark Lord Day​
    Here's what I ended up with at the end of it all! Can't believe I didn't lose/drop one of these at all over the weekend. ​

31. london1o1

london1o1 Savant (325) New York Feb 14, 2003

My memory also sucks, but I believe you are correct (at least about '10 and '09, when there were tickets). However, it still ran out and there was still a long line for it. I foolishly never made waiting in that line early enough to get it a priority. In '08 I was a wide-eyed noob with very little idea what was going on.

32. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Next year people will be bringing 100mL syringes and filter needles in case other bottles start chipping or cracking. That would be some next level shit.

lurchingbeast and MarkIntihar like this.
  33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Snapped from opening. While trying to take off the tap the glass just broke. I had never seen it before either, but I do know that's a weak point of a bottle (when in college I opened beer like this pretty often, just to).

34. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Describe what he looked like on here or in a PM my have a clue as to maybe who it might be! Some ass bag was bragging about grabbing some Extras. Just over heard it in conversation with 2 other people!

35. woodchopper

You should post it so we all know who the assbag is! And when were at beer releases we know who to lookout for!

36. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/your-dld-stories.15201/page-6#post-188942

MarkIntihar likes this.
  37. MarkIntihar

38. woodchopper

Ya I saw that after I posted I saw a thief wearing a black tiger ball cap kind of cocked to the side black hair not that guy in the picture though!

I find people that go to beer events to steal other peoples beers and rip others off to be the ones that sooner or later it will all catch up with them. And get what's coming to them. Some people are just plain greedy and assholes

But sooner or later they slip up or get drunk and brag about it and then its all out everywhere! Like the assbag at founders black party laughing about getting a free case of beer in the taproom!

39. Jerry

Jerry Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 15, 2012

Nice haul MaxSpang.

MaxSpang likes this.
  40. I was with Jason's crew and can corroborate that we caught these two fucks trying to steal our beer red (wax) handed.