1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Your Favorite Character-Building Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PatriotsRule, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Early yesterday before the blizzard got real here in MA, I walked down to my local beer store to get some snow-in treats. The place was packed, and I saw an old classmate of mine picking up Ruthless Rye. He said he "had to get it because the label is so metal." What are your favorite hardcore, gnarly, wicked brews? Arrogant Bastard, Homunculus, and Two-Headed Beast come to mind for me.

2. I'm given to understand Devil Dancer would be character building for me, but see the "$ is too much to justify" thread.

3. Insanity. Without a doubt.

Or, if you want to turn the hardcore up a notch, Samael. Like an Insanity on steroids. Very boozy steroids.

Willbfun and jtdolla911 like this.
  4. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

This has a pretty outrageous label and name. Not sure it would make me consume the contents. :eek:

creepinjeeper, luwak and PatriotsRule like this.
  5. Of all the names I could think of for a BSDA...

That ain't one of them.

fullmetal1381 and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

We definitely have different ideas about the term "Character Building" I'm thinking becoming a better person. You on the other hand seem to be thinking of building a character like Spider Man. Please correct me if I'm wrong or just ignorant.

5thOhio likes this.
  7. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Duck Duck Guava, because after I drank it, I spent 3 hours in a bathroom stall vomitting acid (First experience with Sour Beer). Made me think that cute little duck with devil horns on the Lost Abbey T-shirt wasn't just for kicks....

8. Who wouldn't like to experience a radioactive spiderbite-like transformation upon drinking a single brew?

9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Your first sour was Duck Duck Guava?!...was Helen of Troy your first girlfriend?

10. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Flavor-wise, Celebration Ale is definitely gnarlier than Ruthless Rye. And Celebration was one of those IPAs that totally kicked my ass (and palate) 5+ years ago in the winter of 2007-08. It's one of my most memorable beers, mainly because it taught me to love and respect craft beer.

11. PALATE WRECKER.

khiasmus and Droogins like this.
  12. Triple Bock.

13. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Savant (260) Vermont Nov 16, 2012

Schlenkerla Urbock is a real game-changer, especially straight from the tap.

vurt likes this.
  14. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

First beer I drank after my vasectomy. =)

creepinjeeper likes this.
  15. Wake and Bake.

16. Cottzilla

Cottzilla Savant (275) Ohio Dec 2, 2010

Jester King: Black Metal

Thread is closed.:cool:

Danny1217, Azzy and creepinjeeper like this.
  17. The End Of History, but only of you eat the squirrel.

18. The first time I got to try Black Tuesday, my friends who agreed to share it with me had no interest after a taste. I ended up taking on the whole bottle myself. That built some character.

Similar story happened with a half bottle of Tac Penguin. I couldn't store it because it had already been poured, but half of the people interested initially turned it down after a sip. More character built.

As I look back, I am starting to feel that there is an inverse correlation between quality of liver function and level of character...

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

If you're drinking beer to build character, you might be doing it wrong.

devlishdamsel, MrOH and zachary80 like this.
  20. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I ain't sure what "hardcore, wicked and gnarly" means.

5thOhio likes this.
  21. bump8628

bump8628 Advocate (510) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

Mephistopheles

Danny1217, devlishdamsel and ChanChan like this.
  22. I like drinking Sucaba when I am developing my characters and power leveling. One time I drank 2 bottles of Sucaba while playing Skyrim and developing my character and I blacked out super bowl steeze, woke up and I was a member of the thieves and mages guild

I developed the fuck out of my character.

23. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (915) California Nov 29, 2006

It looks like you've been enjoying some of those snow-in treats.

24. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (315) Ohio Dec 18, 2009

Elevator Ghost Scorpion Lager. My favorite because I only know of a select few that can handle more than a sip, and I count myself among them.

25. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Dirty Bastard and Eddy Fitz

26. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Aecht Scherlenka Beers
    Double Black
    High IBU bitter stuff- the Bastard series, Bigfoot etc.

27. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (460) California Dec 21, 2011

Victory Golden Monkey, and Chimay Grande Reserve. In my craft beer infant days those were the gnarliest of the gnarly when all I had enjoy to that point was an American Heff. My how things have changed.

28. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Character building beers? I don't get it.

29. Trying to comprehend the thread title and what the OP is trying to get at. If they are referring to beers that define my character, they would be Jester King Black Metal, Surly Darkness, Furious, any of the De Molen 666 series of beers, and many others...

5thOhio likes this.
  30. Hair on your chest.

31. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I wasn't aware drinking held any correlation to my chest hair. My eyes are open now.

32. What exactly is the point of this thread?

Whacky label art?
    Big beers like Barleywines, Stock Ales, Strong Ales?
    Beers with odd ingredients?
    Beers with high ABV?
    Imperial anythings?

Where are we going here?

33. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Just story telling I think.

5thOhio likes this.
  34. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I actually found Samichlaus Dopplebock to be borderline undrinkable the first time i tried it.
    That's a good place to start.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776

I'd also say Glacier Brewhouse's Ice Axe is well named: the challenge to drink more than a few ounces feels akin to hiking some horrific mountain trail wherein an ice axe is of more value that your wits.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/377/71037

Oh and the abominably awful Whisky Aged Storm from Brew Dog...that was like drinking shellac (no not in the way adoring salacious fans of Steve Albini might hope). It takes a lot of swagger to throw this one back.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/42286

Cubatobaco likes this.
  35. Cigar City bourbon barrel aged Big Sound on tap. Probably the most boozy/malty/astringent thing I've ever tasted. I could only bear a few sips as my friend who ordered it struggled for 45 minutes to finish the snifter.

36. Earthquake 12% tall cans for $.99

edit: though it is my least favorite

37. Stone Double Bastard. So much flavor, so much burn.

38. Iron city

39. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I'm right there with you! I'd have to throw in DFH 120min as a close second. Before I got into the world of beer, these were down unpalatable for me.

40. You got it. Hair on your chest, becoming a better person, having your entire life turned upside down like the fresh prince, they are all hilarious phenomena that may or may not be associated at all with excellent beer... but it can't be entirely coincidental! The character built is most likely often an accident imho

davey101 likes this.